Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E.O. No kings while dipnetting

Default E.O. No kings while dipnetting

RETENTION OF KING SALMON PROHIBITED IN KENAI RIVERPERSONAL USE DIPNET FISHERY
    Beginning 12:01 a.m., Sunday, July 24, 2011, king salmon caught in the Kenai Riverpersonal use dipnet fishery may not be retained for the remainder of the season. Any kingsalmon caught must be released immediately and returned to the water unharmed.Through July 21, all indices used to assess the abundance of late-run king salmon in theKenai River indicate a run that is well below average for the third consecutive year. Alldepartment assessment methods indicate the late run is similar to the runs of 2009 and2010. The final 2009 escapement estimate was below the sustainable escapement goal(SEG) and the 2010 escapement was likely below the SEG. Based on the similarities ofthe indices in 2011 to these years, it is likely the escapement goal will not be achievedwith current personal use fishing exploitation levels. Therefore, it is warranted to prohibitthe retention of king salmon in the Kenai River personal use dipnet fishery.For information of inseason assessment of Kenai River king salmon visit our website at:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCounts/index.cfm?ADFG=main.home
    .-ENDNEWSRELEA
    S
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Oh yay. And let's keep the beach sites on back to back EO's other than the mandatory 36 hour windows. It is disgusting how they manage this fishery.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Do the commercial guys have to throw back the kings they catch?
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    Do the commercial guys have to throw back the kings they catch?
    Bahahaha! I almost pissed my pants.

Why does every one blame the commercial boys. They were here way before there was ever a sport fish industry in the river. Maybe we need to limit the amount of guides and fishing pressure that the Kenai gets. I get tired of all the finger pointing. No one wants to be responsible for there own actions.

Quote Originally Posted by MTRNR View Post
    Why does every one blame the commercial boys. They were here way before there was ever a sport fish industry in the river. Maybe we need to limit the amount of guides and fishing pressure that the Kenai gets. I get tired of all the finger pointing. No one wants to be responsible for there own actions.
    Excellent post.

The Commercial Folks are severely under-represented here.

The short-term or newly arrived "Alaskans" are not.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Not trying to lay blame, just pointing out that the rules are a bit inconsistent. Once a King hits the river, you have to throw it back if caught, but if it is caught by a drift net just offshore, it can be kept.

Not trying to lay blame, just pointing out that the rules are a bit inconsistent. Once a King hits the river, you have to throw it back if caught, but if it is caught by a drift net just offshore, it can be kept.
    If it is caught offshore it could be headed for a number of different rivers. If it is caught in the river...Well....Pretty easy to narrow down it's destination at that point..
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Well said! Rep sent. I wish they would shut down ALL retention of kings on the Kenai for a few years. The Kenai king fishery is in BIG trouble. If something is not done, it will be a thing of the past soon.

I have lived on the Kenai for over 30 years and back in the day we had record size king salmon and great fishing runs with no issues. We still had the commercial boys out front fishing. You want to know what has changed, the amount of pressure that river gets. You want to know why we don't hear about the big kings is there gone. big Kings breed big Kings. The slot limit has not only destroyed the big kings but has put alot of small fish in the river.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    If it is caught offshore it could be headed for a number of different rivers. If it is caught in the river...Well....Pretty easy to narrow down it's destination at that point..
    And how many of those other rivers have King restrictions in one form or another? Pretty much all of them. Sport and Personal use are being limited on King retention in many rivers, yet the commercial fleet can keep them no questions asked. Just seems a bit unbalanced.

And how many of those other rivers have King restrictions in one form or another? Pretty much all of them. Sport and Personal use are being limited on King retention in many rivers, yet the commercial fleet can keep them no questions asked. Just seems a bit unbalanced.
    And as it has been pointed out time and again, until the explosion of the Sport/Guide/Dipnet influx on the Kenai, the Kings where bigger and more prolific.

As myself and others have said prior, shut down Kings to ALL user groups for a decade. Let them catch a breather.

Won't happen tho'. Too many folks want that pic holding a 60lb fire engine.

Too many folks want that pic holding a 60lb fire engine.
    Not me, I want a 60 pound chromer
    The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH

We still had the commercial boys out front fishing...
    Are there more commercial guys out there too? I honestly don't know...

No Kyle.

Commercial Permits where established as limited entry. Same number of permits now as there was 25+ years ago.

No Kyle.

Commercial Permits where established as limited entry. Same number of permits now as there was 25+ years ago.
    What about the supply and demand? Has this gone up on the commercial side as well, are they catching more or less than back in the day 25yrs ago? Just whish they would shut down all fishing, sport and comm, in that system for a few yrs like they did down on the west coast. It'd be interesting what the return numbers would be! But too many hands in the pockets of the board members/reps in Juneau to ever see that happen. Just a thought though!

you should educate yourself before you get on involved in fish allocation politics
    sounds like you haven't been around here for long so I won't waste much time... ever hear of king gear? its gillnet w/ a mesh size that will actually catch a king, well the commercial gillnet fleet hasn't been able to use king gear since new people started moving here whining that they own the fish it was like like 1985.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

See, I agree with FB sometimes! I'm glad they dropped king retention for the rest of the season. IMHO, there should be NO kings allowed in any dipnet fishery. These fisheries are supposed to exclusively target sockeye.

The king decline has nada to do with commercial gillnet fishing and everything to do with 30 years of commerical GUIDES targeting nothing but big kings. Kill off all the breeding stock before they get to the spawning ground and what do you think is going to happen to the population? Biology 101 anyone?

Folks need to open their eyes and do something because the GUIDES and certain "halibut derby" catch-all-the-breeding-stock contests are doing the exact same thing to the lower CI halibut population right now. Oh, but they call themselves "charters" to avoid the nasty "guide" stigma.

OK, so maybe I do have a little prejudice against one particular user group. If they'd just tighten the reins on the commercial guides (limited permits, residency status, habitat & hatchery taxes, etc.) then perhaps we'd be able to get along.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    you should educate yourself before you get on involved in fish allocation politics
    sounds like you haven't been around here for long so I won't waste much time... ever hear of king gear? its gillnet w/ a mesh size that will actually catch a king, well the commercial gillnet fleet hasn't been able to use king gear since new people started moving here whining that they own the fish it was like like 1985.
    I have lived in this state for over 20 years. Half my life has been lived up here and I intend live out the rest of my days here as well. Your attitude toward those who did not have the good fortune to be born here is part of the problem. I have been up here long enough that I do not fish for kings in wild streams. Only place I go for king fishing is Ship creek in Anchorage these days.

And if your theory of smaller mesh size not catching kings is true, then dippers should not be able to catch them either. We use the same size mesh as the commercial guys do for reds. Yet I have seen kings caught in dip nets designed to catch sockeye.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    See, I agree with FB sometimes! I'm glad they dropped king retention for the rest of the season. IMHO, there should be NO kings allowed in any dipnet fishery. These fisheries are supposed to exclusively target sockeye.

The king decline has nada to do with commercial gillnet fishing and everything to do with 30 years of commerical GUIDES targeting nothing but big kings. Kill off all the breeding stock before they get to the spawning ground and what do you think is going to happen to the population? Biology 101 anyone?

Folks need to open their eyes and do something because the GUIDES and certain "halibut derby" catch-all-the-breeding-stock contests are doing the exact same thing to the lower CI halibut population right now. Oh, but they call themselves "charters" to avoid the nasty "guide" stigma.

OK, so maybe I do have a little prejudice against one particular user group. If they'd just tighten the reins on the commercial guides (limited permits, residency status, habitat & hatchery taxes, etc.) then perhaps we'd be able to get along.
    People should be required to keep all kings under 28" while dipnetting. Release everything over 28".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast