Thread: Bird Creek to Kenai to Ninilchik

Default Bird Creek to Kenai to Ninilchik

Okay gang here is the trip plan:

Jul 26th: One night at Bird Creek after picking folks up at Airport
    Jul 27th-30: Staying at friends cabin flipping for reds
    Jul 30-31: Ninilchik for clams

I am hitting up the tackle shop this weekend to outfit our family of four and wanted everyones advice on both what we might be fishing for at these stops (doing reds in Kenai) as well as what gear I should make sure we have.

Thanks in advance

Just a heads up if you planned on camping at Bird creek it is closed this summer because of overhanging trees, etc.
    good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    Okay gang here is the trip plan:

Jul 26th: One night at Bird Creek after picking folks up at Airport
    Jul 27th-30: Staying at friends cabin flipping for reds
    Jul 30-31: Ninilchik for clams

I am hitting up the tackle shop this weekend to outfit our family of four and wanted everyones advice on both what we might be fishing for at these stops (doing reds in Kenai) as well as what gear I should make sure we have.

Thanks in advance
    Don't forget your pitbull and NASCAR hat

Well, as a novice to Alaskan fishing since I've fished Washington state for the past 20 or so years...I can...with full confidence recommend a couple must haves.

*Russian River Flies-red and white/pink and white/and all red (These are the main ones used where I've been tutored here.)
    *Lead weights. (get plenty so you have them on hand) Split shot to weight your line for the flippage. Depending on the current you can add or remove the weight but it MATTERS!
    *A cooler (just being silly)
    *PLEASE invest in a couple cans of bear spray for your fishing fun...both the Bird Creek and the Russian are known for the bear population.
    *A net is nice but not necessary. Most folks are kind enough to oblidge you with netting your fish.

*I use spinnners on the Bird Creek...not sure if the Kings are running or the Silvers...the silvers respond to a nice spinner action.
    *Do you guys have waders already? Or boots? They sure make a difference in the frigid water....especially whilst clamming!!!
    *Which reminds me....a change of WARM clothes for ALL on the trip!!!
    *Bug spray...skeeters are mean in Alaska

*Clamming...
    *Do you have a clam gun or shovels? I would have a minimum of 2 for a group of 4 but it would be more fun if each had their own set up.
    *Mesh bags or buckets for collecting said clams...
    *Once again....DRY and WARM clothes to change into after wet and gritty clam digging. FUN wet and gritty but it sure feels nice to put a pair of warm dry socks and pants on!
    *Ibuprofen for the aching muscles all will have after a hearty day digging clams.

I know the guys on here will have some REAL advice...but I thought I'd share what I could be sure of.

Have a wonderful time!!! It's a shame about the camping. There are spots further down the highway but not sure about availability. You can go to the Alaska State Parks site to check on that. My condo is currently not occupied since I am out of town...too bad... I might have shared it.

Just found info on Girdwood camping which is right near Bird Creek. http://www.muni.org/Departments/park...ampground.aspx

Bear info-http://bears.muni.org/

Have just a wonderful time!

FF

"The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

Hey you guys.....can you offer this feller a little help????

I'm sure my advice was pretty basic.

Seems like he could use some help from folks who know what they're doing more than me.

Thanks in advance.....

FF
    "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

google clam cleaning on Utoob - it takes as long to clean them as it does to dig them.

Heavenly Sights has a good campground and cleaning tables with running water. They also have vacuum pack bags that you fill and they vacuum up. They have freezers for use (no fee with vac packing) so that you can get the next day's limit legally.

Boil the clams for 4 seconds till they pop - then clean them. It is easier to clean a live clam vs. a broken dead clam.