Thread: The Why and How of remote living

Default The Why and How of remote living

I'm just curious how you guys ended up living remotely in AK, did you grow up there? Did you move there looking for something? Did you find it?

What do you do for work besides working on subsisting out there? How full are your days with that work (subsistance and/or job work)?

I can answer for me atleast i am not there yet, but i will be. i live in central pennsylvania now. I plan on moving to AK as soon as i can. Why? I love nature, open areas, and simple living. I don't want to do it to impress anyone or anything like that. i don't dislike people in general, i just feel a more remote living is a better fit for me. As far as making $, many ppl do it different ways, some cut out alot of stuff they don't need for years and save a good nestegg, selling crafts, tourism, and some jobs can be completely internet based like engineering for one. there are many ways to earn if you are creative in your approach.
    As far as other activities besides the working on needed stuff, if all your time was used for nothing but surviving, i doubt anyone would do it. You have to stop to "smell the flowers"! There is also special feeling i get when i stand back and look at a good, honest hard day's work and say to myself "i did that". Its way more satisfying to me than a bunch of numbers on a bank statement. It will be wonderful to me to know i am my own carpenter, metal worker, tailor, farmer, hunter/gatherer, cook, ect. I can't wait to live in a real HOME instead of just a house!

Very few of the people that post here actually live in the woods full time. Most of them have cabins in the woods. I live rural, not remote, and their is a huge difference in Alaska.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

We are currently bouncing between our off the road system cabin which is also off grid and our rental house which is on the road system and has all the amenities until we get the cabin a bit more comfortable for momma and baby, then we will make the jump to full time. I work for myself doing smaller solar and wind projects for folks and we have gotten in with a good group of folks who barter for most everything.
    We moved a few years ago from the lower 48 after doing the remote thing there and wanted to bump it up a notch and have better resources.

We live pretty remote about a 45 minute flight out of Anchorage. When we moved out here there were six families in the area all but us and an 87 year old neighbor are gone. For income I guide, one of our old neighbors was a day trader, another was a com fisherman. Income opportunities in the bush are only as limited as your imagination. When my wife and I moved out here we made high end jewelry and did very well. The way things are today you can live with as much or as little as you want in the bush. You can get internet, some kind of phone in most places, radio, tv. With solar and wind power you can have pretty much the same amenities as you can in town, although your start up is going to be a bit steep.
    The great thing about Alaska is you can live how ever you want. If you like the more urban lifestyle you have places like Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Ketchikan. If you want things a little more laid back there a small towns and land parcels along the hiway system. Or there's villages that are remote but have varying degrees of infrastructures. Then there is the bush nothing but you and what ever you build.
    Chuck

We have two homes. One is in town and the other is remote. I work out of town and spend a couple of days a month in town, my wife stays in town while i am away. We have everything that we need at our remote home. This is our retirement although not retired. We should of done this ten years ago but we let the kids grow in town. We eat moose and beef, sourdough and sourdough. Just caught our first red salmon today (we havent fished reds because of poor runs) We pull the trigger more with the camera than we do the gun. How? we can afford it. Why? We would not have it any other way. Take what i say with a grain of salt this is our dream and we are living it.

Couldn't have said it better Tony! Like you I used to have a job on the slope but I am lucky to live where someone with a few skills is needed. Nancy and I argue over who has to go to town for shopping and such but I imagine I will "volunteer" now that we have a plane! It is a dream life isn't it!