Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SE Deer Hunting 2011

Default SE Deer Hunting 2011

Ok here we go!

I'm really not an early season hunter ... have taken a few over many years in early August but have actually only hunted POW Island opening day once. Opening day use to mean allot to me as it was a huge family camp .. in the high Sierra .. a week out of school and fun times with all the cousins .. large trout and frog leg fries .. many tags filled in just a few days.

I have seen many bucks taken in early Aug that would have been scoring bucks if let grow. But book bucks don't mean anything to most of my friends.

Some of the places I hunt the deer ... they won't shed velvet till late August or even early Sept. We even took a buck one time that was just out of velvet on Sept 20th.

I have only seen one fawn this year but a friend said he saw a doe with two. I have probably seen sixty odd doe so far.Bucks look healthy and still have lots of velvet.The surounding island look the same with very low fawn counts and road gutpiles that look like the fawn was taken as it hit the ground,lots of bear and wolf shat
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It's not Southeast, but my wife and I will be chasing deer on August 1st as well. I haven't hunted blacktails in over a decade, so I am really looking forward to this!

I am moving to Alaska soon and I love to Hunt . I am from the lower 48 and have hunted Whitetail, Muley, Elk, ect. How hard is it to get connected and Hunt Caribou, Moose I will be living aound Kenai/Soldotna area. What area is best for hunting Caribou,Moose, maybe deer and elk in Alaska . Is hunting good around Kenai/Soldotna ? Is the hunting easy to get involved in in this area. I am from an area where you lease land to hunt and game is plentiful . I lived in Montana for a few years and game there was plentiful also with lots of national forest land available to hunt . Resident license would get you a few deer, antelope, and elk but you had to draw for moose, sheep, ect ...Thanks for any info on Alaska Hunting ...........Ed

Ed - Welcome to the forums. First of all, spend a few hours (or even a few days) searching through the archived threads. We've got tens of thousands of posts here that address a lot of what you're asking. A lot of us would be happy to answer your questions, but you asked a lot there and the answers aren't completely simple. Second, you'd be better off starting your own thread. This particular one is about blacktail deer hunting in Southeast, so not many people will see your post or respond to it in here.

Rather foggy for the POW deer subsistence opener. Perhaps next weekend.

Found a couple good ones.
    Alpine is awesome...

Beau, Josh got a 5x5 yesterday, I'll try to get the picts from him tonite.

Oh sweet, Micah sent me a pic on my phone of what looked like a DANDY 4x4, didn't see the 5 in the pic. The rack looked nice and hard though, I'm a little bummed that I didn't shoot this one one in a couple weeks.
    Alpine is awesome...

Nice buck Beau.

Well, those are some pretty good first pics for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by beauhunter View Post

Found a couple good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by beauhunter View Post
    Oh sweet, Micah sent me a pic on my phone of what looked like a DANDY 4x4, didn't see the 5 in the pic. The rack looked nice and hard though, I'm a little bummed that I didn't shoot this one one in a couple weeks.
    I thought he said it was a 5, I'll find out tonight.

Nice finds in the Alpine. Well done Beau.

Very well done. At the rate things are going for me, it'll be sept before I can put together a serious alpine hunt.

Nothing better than Alpine hunts in my opinion....mid-afternoon naps in the sun...man that is the best. haha Saw a wall-hanger 4x4 day before season. Hunted for 2 days after that and never saw him again. Total we saw about 20-30 bucks and some nice 3x3's. Didn't have my camera for pictures on this hunt but maybe on the next couple. Looking forward to seeing pics this season...good hunting everyone!

nice bucks the tips look a bit soft...good start...

Nice looking deer there Beau. Love the electrical tape fix on that one rack.

I won't bother posting pics of the two fuzzy horns we got yesterday. They'd be laffers compared to your two.

The body size doesn't seem correlate with the rack size. Seems like a average body on the one pictured. Guess that's why they are POW bucks and not Douglas Island ones.

Found two Douglas bucks Saturday morning. velvet.jpg

Nice looking bucks. Why did you cut the antlers off the skull plate?

Quote Originally Posted by SE Alpine View Post
    Found two Douglas bucks Saturday morning. velvet.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast