Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing friendly Campgrounds near Soldotna

Default Fishing friendly Campgrounds near Soldotna

I am looking for a campground near Soldotna. I am betting that Swiftwater and Centennial will be PACKED. Does anyone know of any others in the area? Just need a place to put up a couple of tents.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    I am looking for a campground near Soldotna. I am betting that Swiftwater and Centennial will be PACKED. Does anyone know of any others in the area? Just need a place to put up a couple of tents.
    Centennial has overflow. Is that full too?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Centennial has overflow. Is that full too?
    I was there all last week and it was packed. A couple of overflow spots opened up every now and then for a couple of hours, but were filled pretty quickly. It's all about timing. Especially with the kind of numbers that are coming into the Kenai right now. I was lucky enough to have a buddy that was camped down there the week before last. He just paid for a site and threw a tent up in it, so it was there for me when I got there. Sure, I paid for a few days that I didn't use the spot, but in the end, I had a place to camp. When I left Centennial this morning, I had paid for an extra day and left a tent up for a friend of mine who was coming down this evening. Camping spots in Soldotna during the Kenai red run are like season tickets for the Packers. Once you're in, You're in for good. Hell, I know guys who will take a day of leave in the middle of the week to go down and secure a camp site (pay for it through the weekend) and then drive home that day. But, come the weekend, they have a campsite on the Kenai.

That is pure BS right there. How flippin' inconsiderate can people be? Soldotna P&R should impose a 3-day camping limit to level the playing field and prevent these "season" reservations.

There are some private camping places. Check the fish camps on Big Eddy road, for instance. There's some on Funny River Rd as well. Oh, and on your way into town, you probably ought to check out Bings Landing and the few other campgrounds on the way in from Sterling. I'd take the first empty spot you find since the campgrounds in town appear to be filled up with empty tents.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

We were at Centennial for 8 days. I can't tell you how many sites had either a tent or a couple chairs in them and were never occupied. No vehicles, no people. This while there was a constant stream of people cruising looking for an available site. There are a lot of people jetting down there mid-week (or earlier), paying for a site, then not returning for days and days...
    "Your papers are not in order"

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Here is a spot

I have to agree with JOAT about empty "reserved " campsites.Maybe Soldotna Parks and Rec is in it for the allmighty $$$ also.
    I made the loop around the river last nite and saw that Diamond M ranch had tent campers out in their horse pasture.Sniper 3083006 you might want to check them out.They are at mile 16.5 on K Beach Rd. just before you turn to the Warren Ames Bridge.Phone # is 283- 9424.That pasture is probably 40 acres so they should have lots of room.Good luck.......
    I don't know how much they charge to camp bt they do have a LOT of room
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 07-23-2011 at 12:51. Reason: correct phone number

A reserved area is just that. Those that complain need to get off their lazy ass if they want a spot. It's paid for already and for a reason that you don't accept so you get mad. Maybe work a bit harder and use the money to get a nice spot in the future.

Of course they are in it for the money. Do they charge you to camp there? Common sense fails people when it shouldn't.

Default Slow Down Boy

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesummers View Post
    A reserved area is just that. Those that complain need to get off their lazy ass if they want a spot. It's paid for already and for a reason that you don't accept so you get mad. Maybe work a bit harder and use the money to get a nice spot in the future.

Of course they are in it for the money. Do they charge you to camp there? Common sense fails people when it shouldn't.
    Bluesummers----welcome to the forums.
    you are starting off with an attitude and there are enough of those on here already.

I think JOAT and I both made comments about empty spots being "reserved" and not used--as being a waste.Others coud be enjoying said "reservered" spot because they have already made the trip down to this area.
    We both live here ,year round,so we are not complaining for our own sake,but instead we try to help out the foreigners that come here every year.So your comments about getting off our "lazy ass" and "work a bit harder" and even the ridiculous "so you get mad" are completely without any valid basis at all.
    Don't even think about starting a pissing match.It will be a waste of our time.Common sense eh ?????

Why do you think it is a waste to have a reserved spot?

Is it because the area is so busy NOW and the person that reserved the spot when it wasn't busy should give up their spot? The area is paid for and thus no longer available. Just because you don't see anyone there doesn't entitle you to have that area.

Do you see all those empty handicapped parking spots and think what a waste?

I find it odd that you want to help foreigners more so than your locals.

Newbies. *sigh* I don't buy the "paid for" argument as a valid excuse for hogging our city's very limited resources. If there are people driving through daily looking for a camping spot and being turned away, then any reasonable person would realize that these empty "reserved" spots would be full of actual people every day if they opened up.

Paid or not, these empty tent reservations are no better than the hunting camp squatters that are also complained about every Fall. And let's not even get started on the bait stations.

I'm thinking that P&R might want to institute a reservation system similar to what BLM does. That would give people the opportunity to reserve a camping spot ahead of time for a specific date range that they are going to actually be there. Seeing as how the P&R managment staff are good friends of mine, I think I'll have to inquire about this and find out why they are allowing this type of activity in the first place. My guess is that it's a staffing issue as they run a skeleton crew in the summer with reduced hours and rely on outsider campground hosts to run their park access. I don't think the parks bring in very much revenue, basically just enough to cover the maintenance & operating costs.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Why do you think it is a waste to have a reserved spot?
    Because it is our public land that is not being used, but is being hog-tied by some outsider from Los Anchorage.

Just because you don't see anyone there doesn't entitle you to have that area.
    Oh goodie. Another guy who thinks he's "entitled" to anything and everything he wants.

Do you see all those empty handicapped parking spots and think what a waste?
    Yes I do. And we complained to Fred Meyer about them enough that they finally dumped about 3/4 of those constantly unused HC spaces.

I find it odd that you want to help foreigners more so than your locals.
    I'm trying to find something in this thread about claiming to want to help foreigners and I fail to see it. The only "foreigners" I see are the ones coming down from Anch and hogging up the spaces without actually using them so that no one else, local or not, can rent them.

When I was a kid, we used to camp at Centennial quite often. Apparently it's so danged important for a half-dozen guys in Anchorage to hog up all the camping spots for the entire fishing season that not even the locals can get in there for recreation in the middle of the week. Thanks for being so considerate.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Here We Go

Unlike certain State Parks,Hotels,B&B's and airlines,etc. Centineal Park does NOT reserve camping sites.They are on a 1st come 1st served basis.So,for a person to come down on Tuesday and pay $ for a space that will remain empty for days until the reserver finally makes it down IS A WASTE of limited space.
    Joat is correct--maybe P&R should initiate a reservation system.But right now they don't.....And I agree with his squatter comment.Bunk...
    The handicap parking spaces are not a waste.People park there for a limited time,go shopping ,and get out....It's not the same thing---even if YOU think so.My wife has MS and can use those spaces though she rarely does.So let's not go there.
    I do help locals all the time.Remeber---I live here.I also help out folks that have courtesy,common sense,and a lack of knowledge that comes from not living here.How 'bout you ?Are you ever helpful ?To anyone besides yourself ?

Because it is our public land that is not being used, but is being hog-tied by some outsider from Los Anchorage.

Again, being used but not in a way that "you" find acceptable. Gee, get off your high horse.

Oh goodie. Another guy who thinks he's "entitled" to anything and everything he wants.

If I purchase something I am entitled to it. You don't agree? Strange.

Yes I do. And we complained to Fred Meyer about them enough that they finally dumped about 3/4 of those constantly unused HC spaces.

Wow, really? Forget those handicapped people but lets keep my campsite open so I can go get me a spot when I feel like it. A complainer, never too many I guess.

I'm trying to find something in this thread about claiming to want to help foreigners and I fail to see it. The only "foreigners" I see are the ones coming down from Anch and hogging up the spaces without actually using them so that no one else, local or not, can rent them.

Re-read through all of the posts and it will be one above my first I believe.

When I was a kid, we used to camp at Centennial quite often. Apparently it's so danged important for a half-dozen guys in Anchorage to hog up all the camping spots for the entire fishing season that not even the locals can get in there for recreation in the middle of the week. Thanks for being so considerate.

Why do you care, you live right there. J/K Have you ever thought to get a spot in advance? Since you live so close you could beat all the outsiders. This will solve your problem but then what would you have to complain about. Hate dem outsiders a bunch. Think they can do whatever they please just because they paid for it.

Unlike certain State Parks,Hotels,B&B's and airlines,etc. Centineal Park does NOT reserve camping sites.They are on a 1st come 1st served basis.So,for a person to come down on Tuesday and pay $ for a space that will remain empty for days until the reserver finally makes it down IS A WASTE of limited space.
    Joat is correct--maybe P&R should initiate a reservation system.But right now they don't.....And I agree with his squatter comment.Bunk...
    The handicap parking spaces are not a waste.People park there for a limited time,go shopping ,and get out....It's not the same thing---even if YOU think so.My wife has MS and can use those spaces though she rarely does.So let's not go there.
    I do help locals all the time.Remeber---I live here.I also help out folks that have courtesy,common sense,and a lack of knowledge that comes from not living here.How 'bout you ?Are you ever helpful ?To anyone besides yourself ?

It's a waste to you. To others it is planned out vacation and since they have the money and are following the rules they have the right to do so no matter what you think or how much you complain. Until you get enough complainers to change the rules.

I'm helpful but I don't complain and annoy others about not having a campsite that I feel entitled to just because there isn't anyone there right that second.

Again, being used but not in a way that "you" find acceptable. Gee, get off your high horse.

If I purchase something I am entitled to it. You don't agree? Strange.
    These two responses say it all right here. I may disagree with how a person uses their purchase, but at the end of the day it's none of my business because they paid their hard earned money for it. Rep coming your way.

On a side note. I totally agree with a reservation system like they have at the Russian or Quartz. It would help to prevent some of the disasters we saw on the Sterling Highway last evening. When I drove down to Soldotna last week I took my time because I knew I had a campsite waiting. I stopped at every turnout if somebody needed to get past me and there were many (I was doing the speed limit). When something is left to a competition like Black Friday sales, or general admission seating for a concert, etc. then people act very irrational. This is why folks get trampled and fights break out.

Common Sense at it's Best
    Okay bluesummer---I will agree with a couple of your comments.
    1."If I purchase something I am entitled to it"
    Of course ,if you have bought something you are welcome to use it as you wish.Have you ever "purchased" a campsite ?
    2." To others it is a planned vacation...and since they are following the rules they have the right to do so".
    Rules and regulations are needed and so long as people are within established rules ,even behavior others may not appreciate,is allowed.

There are a few things that you have stated that I beleive to be exagerated,confrontational,twisted,and unwanted on this forum.Among those are calling other people theives,complainers,inconsiderate of people with disabilities,strange,annoying,thoughtless of others,wasteful,lazy asses who can't pay for their own recreation.
    I have no idea why you have to start off on this forum in such a negative way--but we all can see it.
    I like to think of these forums as a place where folks can go for information,advise,and wisdom.Not incoherant rambling and pissing and moaning.There are a lot of positive people on here with many lifetimes of expirence,knowledge,and wisdom.Listen to them--maybe you can learn something from them.Maybe..........
    I do not ride a horse--a high or a low one.But I do listen and try to learn something everyday.No one knows it all.And wisdom is earned-------not freely given............

sniper3083006--------I hope you found a site to put your tent up and caught some fish.
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 07-23-2011 at 20:31. Reason: address original poster

Default BS...

Please learn BBC. Your posts are too difficult to read without proper formatting.

Quote Originally Posted by BS
    ... being used but not in a way that "you" find acceptable. Gee, get off your high horse.
    I find the current use of the system to be "inconsiderate". Get your terms right. I reserved my place on this high horse a long, long time ago. You'll have to wait until I feel like vacating it before you can take a ride. Who knows, maybe I'll just decide to stay on it all summer so no one else can use it while I'm away... I'll just leave my empty hat sitting up here to hold my spot when I have to step away for a bit.

If I purchase something I am entitled to it.
    People don't "purchase" public property. They only pay user fees to help the gov't maintain it. The key item being public property which by definition means that ALL of the public is "entitled" to use it.

Forget those handicapped people but lets keep my campsite open ... blah ... blah ... blah
    I've yet to see a handicapped person park their wheelchair in front of Fred Meyer all week so they can be assured of getting a parking spot on the weekend. Get your analogies right if you're going to try to use them in such a manner.

Re-read through all of the posts and it will be one above my first I believe.
    Hmm, guess you still haven't read the thread as there was no mention of "foreigners" until your post. What color is the sky in your world?

Why do you care, you live right there.
    That's why I care. It's MY community, paid for with MY taxes. I think there's a better way for them to be doing business which will increase access to more people, so I get involved in MY community to try and improve things. Why would you care if I go down and talk to Andrew about how they might benefit from a reservation system for our parks? It would benefit the guys who are dashing down here on Tuesday to pay for an empty tent parking spot. Instead they could reserve their exact dates ahead of time, not have to waste an extra trip, and save a ton of money. Then there will be camping spots available during the middle of the week for other users. Its a total win-win situation. I fail to see why you hate it so much.

How far do you want to run with this silly argument?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    I agree.

Mark is very helpful to outsiders, newbies and locals as well. He has already given me a ton of great information. Listen to him. Hes been around here a while and has seen a lot. Its easy to see a problem when you experience it for 20 years.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    That's why I care. It's MY community, paid for with MY taxes. I think there's a better way for them to be doing business which will increase access to more people, so I get involved in MY community to try and improve things. Why would you care if I go down and talk to Andrew about how they might benefit from a reservation system for our parks? It would benefit the guys who are dashing down here on Tuesday to pay for an empty tent parking spot. Instead they could reserve their exact dates ahead of time, not have to waste an extra trip, and save a ton of money. Then there will be camping spots available during the middle of the week for other users. Its a total win-win situation. I fail to see why you hate it so much.
    In agreement with JOAT, I have to reply here.
    I typically would read these posts and agree or disagree without sharing my thoughts/opinion. However, I can't just let this one go without giving my two cents. First of all, I'm a resident of Kenai. My husband and I have four kids who love camping. For a family of 6, it is a big expense to go camping. My husband works VERY hard to provide for us and I am a student. Every penny we make is poured into our children and making Alaskan summer memories for them. When it's time to camp, (tent camp!) they spend the week helping us get things ready. The plan out what they want to do, fishing, etc... dependent on where we plan on camping. We don't have extra money to reserve a spot ahead of time, so imagine the disappointment of our kids when we get to a LOCAL campground and do not get to camp because of the 10 people (conservative #) who paid up for the week of empty space so they can be ensured a place when they stroll in with their $100,000 motorhome (or however much they cost....)

Sure, if you paid for the space, it's yours....however, why would you act like you're more entitled than a local who can't pay for it ahead of time. I'm sure you're thinking "Geeze, it's only $~15/night!", but for a family of 6, it isn't that simple. Quit accusing people of not working hard enough and quit calling them lazy-asses.

Our "indulgent" camping trip of this summer so far was to Quartz Creek. I agree with the above poster who referenced that campground as a basis for what should perhaps happen at many of the local campgrounds. It was reassuring to me when i left my house that I KNEW I had a space. Not because I paid for "empty days" but because it is well-managed.
    Last edited by AKFishinGirl; 07-25-2011 at 02:54. Reason: correction
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Bluesummers, you are fighting a loosing battle. I also agree with Joat. Makes no sense to have paying customers driving around looking for a spot to camp while some greedy few have locked up a spot for the season using 1 tent to allow multiple different families to use a few days per week. Just think how much revenue is being robbed from the local retailers because the tent squaters are up working and spending their money in Anchorage only to come down for a 2 day trip to fish. Seems some folks now days are out for themselves only and could care less about being a good steward to their fellow sportsman. Just my opinion.

FYI post #8 first mention of foreigners by Mark Collett not Joat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast