Thread: Kenai boat etiquette?

Default Kenai boat etiquette?

Hi all,
    I'm going to be dipnetting from a boat for the first time this weekend. Can y'all tell me the protocol and etiquette so I don't make a nuisance of myself down there?

Thanks!

Folks are generally real good. Just keep your eyes on the road, your hand upon the wheel.

Watch out for those who's macho is determined by the sound of their own roar.

~tr

If the boat launch is busy launch and leave the dock while somebody parks the truck, then swing in a pick them up. Then when you return drop somebody off to go get the truck and leave the dock until they are back with your trailer.

Give the guy in front of you some maneuvering room. Last time I was on the river I looked over my shoulder. The bow of the boat behind me was less than a foot from my head!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Stay away from the big, honkin' ridiculous jet boats who think they own the river. If you see one coming attempt to get out of the way before you get severely waked. Trust me, they will not care about your boat. Also, watch out for the com. setnet and drift boats as they don't really like you and will operate as though you were not even there. If you are making a run up river, give the guys netting along the shore a break and swing wide of them or go slow, as it is easy to wake them against the shore.

Forgot to mention, Stay away from the sand bar! Every year someone is sitting high and dry waiting for the tide to come in. The main channel is on the right as you head up the river. There is a channel on the left but as the tide goes out it gets shallow quick.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Thanks all! Great set of responses already. I'm looking forward to getting down there and getting on the river. Hope everyone had a great dipnetting year, now go get some of those silvers!

Don't forget to drag your boat/trailer down both sides of the dock at the launch. I hear this is a really popular way of getting some new "artistic" details applied to your outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Folks are generally real good. Just keep your eyes on the road, your hand upon the wheel.

Watch out for those who's macho is determined by the sound of their own roar.

~tr
    Just drive the boat like you drive on the highway. Nothing else matters except you getting a few thousand fish. This works for some people. Remember to have your boat patch kit to repair the holes in the boat that some jerk will put there with their .44. Other then that BE VERY Careful and drive the boat and do not try to watch what the people in the back with the dipnets...... HAVE FUN it is a Blast!

We always have a driver who doesn't dip just runs the boat.
    This has kept us safe for many years and has hrlped us avoided accidents.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

It's usually easy to fall in line and figure out the flow of things. There's probably a more boat launch etiqette to worry about this weekend than at other times. The launches will be the pinch points so plan ahead so you can get in and out of the water as quickly as possible.

Pay attention if you only have a net off one side of the boat as your boat will pull in that direction. Next thing you know you'll have drifted to the right or left and may be closer to making new friends than you had expected.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    We always have a driver who doesn't dip just runs the boat.
    This has kept us safe for many years and has hrlped us avoided accidents.
    That is exactly our plan. I'm heading down to be one of three, so two can fish while one is the dedicated driver.

Thanks again for all the advice for the newbie.