Thread: Looking for partners ..... hunting partners

Default Looking for partners ..... hunting partners

I'm sure this forum has probably been hit a million times with outdoorsman, new to Alaska, looking for hunting partners to go out with. Let's make it a million and one!

So I'm fairly new to Alaska and have been up here for about two years, was transferred with my family by my company. I grew up hunting deer, bear and elk in Idaho, but Alaska offers some unique geographical challenges (mostly terrain and lots of it to choose from), that I'm not accustomed too. I'm not sure how much longer I will have in Alaska and would like to take advantage of the unique species available.

I really enjoy hunting just about everything; bear (black or brown), moose, caribou, waterfowl, upland game birds, coyotes, wolves. I'm usually off on Sunday and Monday, but am able to flex my schedule somewhat. Typically looking to get out for a day or two. Not opposed to hiking, climbing or driving to get into some good hunting and have a variety of firearms to choose from. Willing to split expenses. Again just looking for some folks to get out with so I'm not on my own. I may have found someone to bear hunt with, but again I'm open. Feel free to post or shoot me an email at Atdymoke2@gmail.com

Thanks to everyone!

Looks like I might be black bear hunting mid August on the Kenai peninsula. Not sure if you are interested.

I'm gonna give ya props for reaching out with an inquiry about hunt partners...but i gotta penalize for wating until you've been in Alaska two years! You could have been learning the country by hunting small game, almost from the start.

Just r***in ya man. Glad you're reaching out, hope you find some good hunt partners and enjoy some of the Alaskan wilderness.

You can't get away for any longer than 1-2 days at a time? Hard to get out very far... I suppose you could drive the Willow Fishhook road looking for moose or something. I'm also looking for partners but I'll be going for several days...

MDHunter, I appreciate the props and I'll take the +1 for effort, thanks! There's certainly much to see and I feel like I have so little time up here to do it all. We've gotten out somewhat over the last two years, not nearly enough though. It's funny that "northernalberta" made that comment because that's exactly what I did my first season here last year .... same road and same implied outcome ... nothing! I'm certainly not opposed to taking a few days either, especially if it means a good chance at some game. Keep em coming, this isn't just "wishful thinking" I want to do some real hunting! Thanks for the responses so far!

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking Atdymoke2's post but I'm in a similar situation this fall. I'm heading out to do some mtn goat hunting but unfortunately my partner only has so many days he can get off work. I plan on extending my trip and possibly doing some black bear hunting and Kenai rainbow fishing. I thought it would be fun to share some time with someone else and split the costs for gas, etc. rather than trekking out on my own. A couple ideas I have is to hire a transporter out of Seward to bear hunt or possibly just black bear hunt while fishing in the Kenai area. I have vacation days to burn and if anyone has time to join me the 2nd or 3rd week in Sept please let me know!

Atdymoke1, I am a total greenhorn when it comes to hunting, fat, and out of shape but generally persevere. I have a 4x4 pickup, canoe, or hiking boots to head out on. Also, I am working a rebuilding a small plane that will work well for spotting but will never be a super meat haulin' bush plane. I have one speed whether it's with no pack or 100lbs but I wouldn't want to hold you back. If you don't mind a slow pace on foot I would enjoy the opportunity to learn, and the company in the field. If you're interested lets grab a beer tomorrow and talk about a scouting trip next weekend. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by northernalberta View Post
    You can't get away for any longer than 1-2 days at a time? Hard to get out very far... I suppose you could drive the Willow Fishhook road looking for moose or something. I'm also looking for partners but I'll be going for several days...
    Several days is certainly ideal, but weekend trips are a reality for some. As a teacher, fall is tough for me to get out more than weekends with one or two exceptions. That being said, I've taken moose, caribou, sheep, and more on weekend hunts, so it can be done - and yes, more can be accomplished than just driving a road and hoping for blind luck.

Atdymoke2 - If you want to get a cup of coffee or a beer at some point and talk ideas, I'm game. I can't offer my company in the field as I'll be busy with my wife and my nephew this fall, but I'd be happy to talk terrain and game species if you're interested. My time is limited right now with visitors from out of state and an impending deer hunt, but still, if you're interested we can make it happen.

I am planning on doing a fall moose hunt with a good buddy. If we both fill our freezer up I would be glad to take you out to one of the area's I have been seeing quite a bit of activity.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

If I'm unable to fill my moose tag in Livengood around labor day then I'm interested in tagging along with any or all of you guys!

**** livengood has lots of nice bulls around the hess creek area. I remember back in 06 I was up there on a white mountain herd hunt and we saw a few big ones.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Thank you for ALL of the responses. I disappeared to the Kenai for a couple days and now I have all of these great replies. Thank you so much. I will be contacting you all 1:1. Seems like Jimss and I are looking at areas for a September black bear hunt and Hayduke and I are looking at a couple days as well. That covers a few days and quite frankly there's a lot more game that I would like to take. Thanks again to everyone and I look forward to talking with you all .....