Thread: Anchor windlass

Default Anchor windlass

I am having shoulder surgery next week and the wife wants a windlass for hauling anchor and the shrimp pot if possible. Does anyone know of a windlass that will accomodate 1/4" and 3/8" inch rope (open capstan?) that is "affordable", does not draw a huge amount of amps? I have a 11lb bruce anchor and 1 shrimp pot but will get a 2nd pot if I can find a suitable windlass.

I have done some searching on the net but have not come upon anything I find suitable yet.

Thanks for any input.

Under the term suitable, I think the line size should be easy, but amp draw all are going to be high, I don't run mine without kicker putting charge into the battery, 60 to 80 amp draw ? Speed well those puppys are slow 50 feet per min, thats why I went Pot Puller Capstain at 150' per min,(empty) which I mounted on the bow and use for anchor & 5 pots. Takes me 5 min at least to pull 600' with 5 pots.

Go figure, shortly after I posted I found 2or3 that may do the trick, one is the Maxwell Anchormax, the others are from Powerwinch;the 300 and the quick catch pot puller. Any experience with these, anyone ? Performance or reliability issues ?

I have the quick catch pot puller on my bow and love it. Works great for pulling the anchor and a string of 3 pots as well.

Talking

I have the quick catch puller. It pulls five ladner pots with 3 ft chain and 8 lb mushroom anchor just fine. It takes about 8 minutes to get the pots on deck and im fishing 900 ft line...fully loaded too. Prior i had the capstan 1000. Its slow at about 30 fpm but powerful...bent my davit one time and another time we pulled up a good size tree. I recommend either but when my uick catch puller dies i will replace it with another. We are well into our second with it with no issues yet.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will get a Pwinch 300; draws 25amps instead of 80amps and has more power according to specs, but is slower than the quick catch, 85' per min vs. 150' per min.. I guess it is a matter of gear reduction between the two models.

Ditto on the Quick Catch...and the other Powerwinch should be fine too (Powerwinch makes the Quiick Catch!) Here's a tip from my good buddy Darren that helped me set mine up: Directions with these winches show you running those high amps through the floor button/switch. Instead, buy a high quality auto solenoid, run a 6ga wire to the battery ground, run a 6 ga wire to the solenoid, and from the solenoid to the battery switch positive, run 12ga wire from the solenoid to ground and to the switch (Ok, time for the electricians to chime in here now...can't look at my boat and I'm getting confused. Bottom line: the switch just runs the solenoid, then the high amp power comes directly from the battery to the winch through the solenoid, not the switch.

Ditto on having a motor with a good alternator running while you run the winch, I have twin outboards and run one of them. No battery will run a pot/anchor puller very long without a charge going into it. Also, use lots of wraps on the capstan, we use 4-5 then you don't have to keep so much tension on the rope that can wear you out!

Have fun!