Thread: Honda 300 tires

Default Honda 300 tires

I am looking for new tires for my trx300fw I ride 40% hard trail 20% Muskeg 20%mud. and 20% of who knows what SE Alaska is going to throw at you with its 13' of rain each year. oh yea throw some deep snow over all of these unfrozen in the winter. I want to go a little larger but, I don't want to kill my power by going too big or too heavy. I was looking at 24 & 25" XTR's or 589's.

Tell me what you guys think I should do....

Woody

Default ITP Mudlite AT's

Coincidentally, I just bought my dad four new tires for his '94 TRX300FW. I went with 24x8x11 on the front and 24x9x11 on the rear. I went 1" of tire height more than the OEM tire.

Went with the ITP Mudlite AT's. These are good tires (light, 6-ply, proven tread design, etc.). A friend of mine had them on a Big Bear (in 25's). ITP know makes the 25's in their XL series (meaning a 1 1/8" deep lug instead of the 3/4" lug on the AT's). I didn't go with the deep lugged XL because of the added weight/tire height/possible rub issues.

If you wanted to run bigger tires, you could get a lift kit for your atv from www.highlifter.com for cheap... then you could run 25's without worrying about clearance issues. The deeper lug would work out well in the gummy stuff.

Went through www.rockymountainatv.com total cost was around $240 with free shipping.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default forgot to mention

additionally.... there is a huge difference in weight between a 589 and a mudlite. Tire weight decreases horsepower. It wouldn't be worth it to me to run 589's on a 300 when the mudlites will do the same job and are (or one of) the lightest tire on the market in 6 ply.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default Vampires

If I had a 300 Honda I would put Vampires on it.

Default Only way to go

Mudlights!

My wife's Big Bear has the 25" Mud lights, and they work pretty well in the snow. I haven't been able to use them on any other terrain yet, but I have a feeling they will be great all-around tires.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default mudlights

I see their are a few different styls of mudlights. What are the differences?

Woody

One is a radial and one is not. I would go with the non radial as the sidewalls are tougher.
    Tennessee

There's also a tread depth difference. The standard mud lites are the lightest, and the other models are heavier and have deeper tread lugs. They are better for deep mud, but harder to turn if you don't have a lot of power.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default verbage

It's in the verbage...Mudlite AT's are 3/4" tread depth. Mudlite XL's are 1 1/8" tread depth... The rest are too big for your machine. Radials are nice, but not for the price (maybe if you had a brand new machine). The difference in regards to price over radial/non-radial is very substantial.

The 3/4" tread depth is sufficient for a 300cc machine. You want to be able to spin your tires in the mud, snow, etc. If you go with a tread depth that's too deep, and a tire that's too heavy, you will get a lot of grip and your bike may not be able to turn the wheels in the thick stuff. There goes your clutch or possibly a shaft.

Thumbs up Mud lites

I put factory size on my Honda 350D.......work great!
    Alaska