Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minto access

Default Minto access

I am considering hunting Minto flats this fall. Never been there, I do have a airboat and don't mind going into remote areas. I do not want to make the long drive all the way around to the town of Minto but would like to find access on this side. Considering running down from Nanana but have no idea how far you have to go to get into some good duck hunting area, or what the river is like along that stretch. Shows something on map around Berg, but like I said, I have no info on it. Also, are there other good access points to the flats between South Central and Fairbanks? Minto flats website shows little as far as hunter access. I do know airboats not allowed to hunt moose there, but ducks and perhaps a bear would be legal. Website says it is most productive waterfowl habitat in the state and also gets more hunter man hours per season then any other waterfowl area in the state, so there must be a bunch of hunters that go in there. Help me out with some info please. Bud

search function says drive across murphy dome - and take a few spinnerbaits
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Please don't bring an Airboat in there.
    Tim

let me know if you need some help exploring it. i'd be willing to help with the drive and whatever else i can

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Please don't bring an Airboat in there.
    If you don't mind my asking Mit, why not. Then are legal, it is a huge area so I don't see as how it would bother anybody. I am a airboater who tries to avoid propwash on others and am concerned about the noise, gas is too expensive as well as scarce there to be running just for the sake of running around. I know there are some that do run airboats there, has it been a problem in the past? Be happy to discuss this issue with you. Bud

IMHO, the only folks who like airboats are those that own them. Everyone else is forced to tolerate their intrusion into a formerly quiet refuge. I'm sure you're a great guy, but your choice of transport is an slap in the face to all those who have to listen to it.

Some of the newer props available now are so quiet the operator and passengers can talk easily without yelling and no more need for earmuffs. Of course they can cost up to $5000 for a set, which makes upgrading very expensive. While unfortunately, airboaters generally have to go by more conventional boats and bank fisherman, they generally spend most of their time where others do not have access to. Thanks, Bud

Grif are you in Fairbanks? What about you, Blackdawg?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    IMHO, the only folks who like airboats are those that own them. Everyone else is forced to tolerate their intrusion into a formerly quiet refuge. I'm sure you're a great guy, but your choice of transport is an slap in the face to all those who have to listen to it.
    Is it the noise of the fact that they can get to areas you can't? I dont own a airboat but i dont knock anyone who does or anyone who passes me in one. good for them for buying something that allows them to access better areas. It keeps them out of the areas i go to with my outboard. its a slap in the face because you dont have one not because its loud!
    Skinny, I am in Anc but this is my last waterfowl season up here and i like to do some traveling and see as much as i can of what this state has to offer.

If you make it up here this fall shoot me a message and maybe we could sneak over that way with a less-offensive prop boat. I'd be tickled to have some company. That goes for the rest of you too... especially if you're 24-27 and female.

hey tim and rick,
    the world is over populated. i hate seeing jet/ prop boats tearing up the bottoms of every salmon spawning stream in alaska but they sure are quiet! i hate a guy that comes into the swamp late and sets up 100 yards from me and blows a high ball that sounds like a kazoo!! i hate beavers flying over head on a remote westeren AK. trout stream while im having my coffee in the morning!! even though i got there in one. i hate parking in minto proper with my canoe only to return to find my truck broken into. maybe you boys should just stay at home and watch du tv and the duck commanders! or you could meet us at the boat ramp and we will quickly slip into that hole in the middle of that 500,000 acre PUBLIC HUNTING area and spank a few birds!!!
    later,
    steve
    ps bud, id like to go. what dates you looking at

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    IMHO, the only folks who like airboats are those that own them.
    Wrong... I like em and I don't own one. haha. Would love to own one but I don't see it my budget anytime soon.
    I like that some of us hunters have the ability to get to places others can't, makes for better hunting everywhere. The guy that owns the airboat is probably not going to be hunting everyday of the season in a spot that you can walk to, so the spot you can walk to won't be as full as it could be.
    The temporary noise of an airboat running past me seems minimal if it gets the guy further away from my spot.

I don't have any specific dates in mind, other then considering opening day and a couple days after. However, opening day is my wifes birthday so i have to be cautious about planning trips then. Being retired, I can go most anytime I can afford it. Was considering going to Tetland, but airboats not allowed there or most other National Wildlife areas. I'm in the valley, don't have a lot of camping gear, but do have a motorhome and was hoping to find someplace I (we) could stay in the motorhome. Don't want to leave it in Minto, heard bad things about that. I do a lot of duck hunting, new at moose and bear hunting. Hunt the hayflats mostly, got the airboat primary due to being tired of pushing my past boats though the mud at low tide. Steve and Griff send me a pm and i will save it and contact you, or you are welcome to pm me about suggestions. Bud

Your right I was out of line. If you go over please be respectful and have a good time. Murphy Dome is probably the easiest way for you to get there. I have been there when airboaters where not so nice. There is room for every one. There has been some talk about restricting ATV use over there.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by AK.airboater View Post
    hey tim and rick,
    the world is over populated. i hate seeing jet/ prop boats tearing up the bottoms of every salmon spawning stream in alaska but they sure are quiet! i hate a guy that comes into the swamp late and sets up 100 yards from me and blows a high ball that sounds like a kazoo!! i hate beavers flying over head on a remote westeren AK. trout stream while im having my coffee in the morning!! even though i got there in one. i hate parking in minto proper with my canoe only to return to find my truck broken into. maybe you boys should just stay at home and watch du tv and the duck commanders! or you could meet us at the boat ramp and we will quickly slip into that hole in the middle of that 500,000 acre PUBLIC HUNTING area and spank a few birds!!!
    later,
    steve
    ps bud, id like to go. what dates you looking at
    If you come over drop the attitude. See my previous post. There aren't any access groups that don't have bad apples. Just remember you represent other users as you partake of the freedoms we all should enjoy.
    Tim

hey Tim,
    no attitude here. my post was to make a point to you and rick. when granddad and his mates went for two weeks every year to Sth and Nth Dakota all they needed was Wisconsin sausage and cheese to give to the farmers. they had their way with those states in the 40s 50s and 60s. those days are gone. you nailed it in your last statement (we ALL need to enjoy/respect our freedoms) also i really meant what i said in the last sentence of my rant.
    later,
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by AK.airboater View Post
    hey Tim,
    no attitude here. my post was to make a point to you and rick. when granddad and his mates went for two weeks every year to Sth and Nth Dakota all they needed was Wisconsin sausage and cheese to give to the farmers. they had their way with those states in the 40s 50s and 60s. those days are gone. you nailed it in your last statement (we ALL need to enjoy/respect our freedoms) also i really meant what i said in the last sentence of my rant.
    later,
    steve
    Got you Steve Not sure I will be there this Sept. My Transport is down. I will be on the look out for an Airboat with a load of Ducks
    Tim

Going in by Murphy Dome as mentioned is probably the quickest. That said the road sucks. The Chatanika River is hella curvy down there and the Goldstream is narrow from hell. I drive an airboat in other places and wouldn't want to drive one on the Chat or Goldstream...it's very doable but man will your steering arm be sore. Another thing to think about is traffic...from Sept 1-25 the river has a lot of action on it. I would be worried about the low speed manuverability of the airboat on the Goldstream. Last year there were several collisions on the Goldstream between boats. That said...have at it...I don't mind an airboat coming through and stirring up ducks... If you have any questions..pm me.

Please don't think I'm trying to highjack the thread but below is a video of Helmuth and I fishing in Minto. AKBlackLab, at the beginning you'll see the first couple of miles of the Chatanika and later in the video you'll see the width of Goldstream. I believe Goldstream is roughly 16 river miles downstream from where Murphy Dome Rd meets the Chatanika. Goldstream, is pretty skinny so like Taiga said, be cautious of all the traffic during Moose / Duck season.

Hope this helps and be sure to post some pictures of all those ducks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h472xFPrBcI

TY, having never been there it shows a lot for me. Looks like goldstream area is in good duck habitat and the river to get to it looks very good running for a airboat. I assume when you get to goldstream, the river spreads out and covers a lot of area to get away from others, etc, have to really pay attention to those blind corners, problem with airboats, you can't hear the other boats coming, I try to keep my line around blind corners in the center of the channel, never cut the corners, who knows when a kyak or canoe will be there. Thanks again,

Still looking for additional info for going down river on the Nanana to get into the flats, wider river, should be easier to navigate and see other traffic coming at you. Bud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast