Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know how far the sockeye have made it up?

Default Does anyone know how far the sockeye have made it up?

I am assuming the 230k are around bings/ middle by now. I am just wondering if anyone has been out or knows how far up they are.

Thanks

guessing that the big first push is at the falls now - past Skilac I would have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    guessing that the big first push is at the falls now - past Skilac I would have to say.
    They are entering Skilak now.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Which ones? The 230k,177k,87k or the 113k.

My guess is anywhere below Skilak is pumping right now. I will let you know tonight driving down to Sterling in a bit.

230 & 177k
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Is the lower still pretty hot? Im making a trip and was wondering how quick they push through. Im gonna be down around mile 14 but if I need to go further up Im willing to do that.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    230 & 177k
    I was just joking. What I meant was with all of the fish still pouring in it should be hot anywhere below Skilak.

I talked to a guy last night at the south beach that said he had fished the lower Kenai yesterday for 6 hrs. to get 3 fish. No idea where all the fish are.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMonkey View Post
    I was just joking. What I meant was with all of the fish still pouring in it should be hot anywhere below Skilak.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I talked to a guy last night at the south beach that said he had fished the lower Kenai yesterday for 6 hrs. to get 3 fish. No idea where all the fish are.
    I just got back from Centennial and it was pretty slow for most people.
    Some guys hooked up more than others but I did notice a lot of 'ripping' at the end of their swings.

What I find odd is that every 10-15 seconds you'll see a fish rolling somewhere so they are definitely going past us.
    Maybe all 40+ of us are terrible fishermen...
    Fished all night for my 6.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    I just got back from Centennial and it was pretty slow for most people.
    Some guys hooked up more than others but I did notice a lot of 'ripping' at the end of their swings.

What I find odd is that every 10-15 seconds you'll see a fish rolling somewhere so they are definitely going past us.
    Maybe all 40+ of us are terrible fishermen...
    Fished all night for my 6.
    Bummer that its slowing down. Oh well cant stay red hot forever. At least you got your six.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Bummer that its slowing down. Oh well cant stay red hot forever. At least you got your six.
    I'm at Centennial now. It's still pretty good with a slow period here and there. My advice is to fish after midnight. Some friends and I fished a couple of nights ago after midnight and all of us were done fishing with limits in about 20 minutes. There was a fight at the boat launch this morning. A guide confronted a snagger and it got ugly. There was wrestling, punching, and a broken fishing rod being used as a weapon. Great times! I think the guide's clients got their money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    I'm at Centennial now. It's still pretty good with a slow period here and there. My advice is to fish after midnight. Some friends and I fished a couple of nights ago after midnight and all of us were done fishing with limits in about 20 minutes. There was a fight at the boat launch this morning. A guide confronted a snagger and it got ugly. There was wrestling, punching, and a broken fishing rod being used as a weapon. Great times! I think the guide's clients got their money's worth.
    Good on the guide! All dipschitt snaggers need a good swift kick in their arse, my size 14 is always ready for them!

I hear there is a ton of fish in the Canyon right now also. Either way like you said anywhere below Skilak at this point is fishing good. I was just hoping they had made it up that far. FYI if you are planning on going to bings, have fun with the parking. It was all the way to the highway last night...

Fished by Swiftwater yesterday morning, limit in less than an hour. Tons of fish swimming by, you could actually see them.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    There was a fight at the boat launch this morning. A guide confronted a snagger and it got ugly. There was wrestling, punching, and a broken fishing rod being used as a weapon. Great times! I think the guide's clients got their money's worth.
    I understand people can be passionate about their fishing and beliefs. However, escalation from a fishing fine to violence (or more extreme) does not have it's place. When it comes to the escalation and concerns for public safety ... that's where I would be concerned enough to call the troopers.

Meanwhile, if you've watched whale wars ... stay tuned for salmon wars. I'll be strolling the banks with a fishing rod and Russian River fly wearing the "We're sampling stomach contents and collecting tissue samples" t-shirt.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    I understand people can be passionate about their fishing and beliefs. However, escalation from a fishing fine to violence (or more extreme) does not have it's place. When it comes to the escalation and concerns for public safety ... that's where I would be concerned enough to call the troopers.

Meanwhile, if you've watched whale wars ... stay tuned for salmon wars. I'll be strolling the banks with a fishing rod and Russian River fly wearing the "We're sampling stomach contents and collecting tissue samples" t-shirt.
    Right on!! I have no problem with a pointed discussion, but fighting over a fish, regardless of which side you happen to be on is ridiculous and futile.

Who won?

I will only keep my mouth caught fish but I won't be calling the troopers to turn in a guy who keeps a snagged fish. The fish has less odds of successful spawning than one that is not foul hooked and played out. The guy gets his fish and gets off the river faster - what is the big deal....is it the letter of the law that bothers everyone?

Troopers should be smakin down on the f'n Krakheads and theifs and rapists - not putting a guy who makes 50+K a year to the task of writing tickets for fish that are obviously going to over escape anyway - - get it???? The fish do not need to spawn they need thinned out.......

Griz - do you really need a pistola to spank a snagger with? You are a fair sized fella - I'd think that your boot would do just fine in most cases.

Well if someone keeps a snagged fish I wouldnt call on them. The fish will soon enough be belly up and the fishermen will be fishing till s/he catches their limit anyhow, Im not for snagging but lets just be real about it.. Might make a run down this weekend and see if I can watch some fights
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Who won?
    Well, they started out jawing back and forth (face to face) and the snagger kept sticking the brim of his cowboy hat in the guides face. The guide lost his cool and ripped it off his head. Then, the wrestling started and the guide got on top of him and had a dominant body position and then basically let him up. I really don't think he wanted to take it any further because he had a chance to finish the snagger off. The back of the snaggers head was laying on the edge of the concrete section of the boat ramp. So, it was laying on a really sharp corner of concrete. One elbow smash, punch, etc. and the dude would've been knock cold. Anyway, they got back up and commenced to jawing at each other again and then the snagger either slapped or punched the guide in the face which got him worked up pretty good. The guide starts to take his coat off and then some older gentlemen got in between them to break it up. The guide pretty much realized that he couldn't get to him after trying several times, so he looks down where the snaggers rod is laying, steps on it, grabs the tip and snaps it in half while telling him "this should put an end to your snagging". The snagger then picks up the bottom end of the rod with the reel still attached and starts swinging it at the guide (he gripped the blank and was using the reel end as the weapon). He connected once, but it was in the side and it didn't do much damage. By then the cops showed up and it was over. I don't know what happened to either of them, but the cops were taking pictures of the scratches on the snaggers neck which probably happened during the wrestling portion of the melee. Maybe it's in the police blotter somewhere.

Ill be down there tomorrow. Probably put the boat in the water around centennial and put around. We are gonna make some stops and bank fish too. I sprung for a fly rod today so Im gonna kill them reds tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast