Thread: Save your GPS system! Public Comments period to FCC ends July 30!!!

Exclamation Save your GPS system! Public Comments period to FCC ends July 30!!!

Folks, there are only 9 days left to enter your public comments to the FCC on allowing a private, commercial venture to use a frequency band that interferres with the GPS system. This outfit, "LightSquared" wants to build a satellite broadband internet service. If they are allowed to do so using the current proposal, it will cause interferrence with the GPS system, potentially rendering GPS useless to the end user.

This is such an outrageous idea that it never should have gotten this far in the FCC approval process. But here we are, 9 days away from a federal regulator screwing up one of the most valuable navigation tools that humans have ever built. With millions of people that will be affected, I'm saddened that there are less than 1,500 public comments that have been entered to the FCC so far. We need a little bit more outrage folks. Somebody mentions something about a new gun rule and they'd be getting 1,500 comments per hour. Think for just a moment about how life would be without your GPS system.

Go! Comment...

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload...09&filedFrom=X

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Charterboat Operator

Thanks for the report joat, filed my complaint! Dont know where we would be with out gps!

Ditto.

Here is a link to the testing results from the technical groups review of LightSquared's network:
    http://www.fcc.gov/document/comment-...g-group-report

Thanks,

Doug

Doug

what proceeding number?

Is your link directly to the case?

I don't have time right now - but will look at it closer later.

Default 11-109

Yes, my link in the OP goes directly to the proper proceeding, which is 11-109.

You can view the proceeding info here: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/procee...ew?name=11-109

Or look at the proceedings list available for comment here: http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/hotdocket/list?z=u7ta5
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Put in my 2 cents. I read the FCC's site but the more technical stuff is a little over my head...

I am putting this out there without reading the proposal and you may be able to provide a suitable answer.

How is it that a company could possibly be allowed to pursue such a thing as to cause interference with the GPS bandwidth and render it useless/unreliable when it is a global system used for navigation by military, aviation, marine, automotive, scientific research, hikers, bikers ,canoers, and the pizza delivery entities, etc. ?

Keeping that in mind I simply cannot view this as a serious threat...

Any enlightening comments out there ?

I am thinking that the FCC is simply following protocal due the submission of the proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I am putting this out there without reading the proposal and you may be able to provide a suitable answer.

How is it that a company could possibly be allowed to pursue such a thing as to cause interference with the GPS bandwidth and render it useless/unreliable when it is a global system used for navigation by military, aviation, marine, automotive, scientific research, hikers, bikers ,canoers, and the pizza delivery entities, etc. ?

Keeping that in mind I simply cannot view this as a serious threat...

Any enlightening comments out there ?

I am thinking that the FCC is simply following protocal due the submission of the proposal.
    Having read through the public notice (thanks for the link Doug), it looks to me like the FCC is doing exactly what they're supposed to do; ensuring that ultimately there is no significant interference to terrestrial GPS units from the new bandwidth users system. It appears to me that the OP's statement that the FCC was "allowing" this is a bit off base. Rather, it looks like the FCC is working to ensure this doesn't happen.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

You might want to read a bit deeper at the FCC. They initially granted approval to this company and only afterward did some technical details come out about the interferrence overlap. They are now in a back-peddling public comment gathering phase.

Even so, it's still up to the public (us folks who own the FCC) to provide public comment on issues which affect us. If F&G were dealing with a proposal that would be detrimental to your favorite local fishery and you didn't show up for the public comment period, would you have any room to complain if they went against you in the end?

But feel free to ignore this and put full faith in a self-regulating agency of the US Gov't to do the right thing. It's your call.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Copied And Pasted From the Web Site
    Federal Communications Commission
    445 12th Street, S.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20554
    News Media Information 202/418-0500
    Internet: http://www.fcc.gov
    TTY: 1-888-835-5322
    DA 11-1133
    June 30, 2011
    COMMENT DEADLINES ESTABLISHED REGARDING THE LIGHTSQUARED
    TECHNICAL WORKING GROUP REPORT
    IB Docket No. 11-109
    Comment Date: July 30, 2011
    Reply Comment Date: August 15, 2011
    On June 30, 2011, LightSquared Subsidiary LLC (LightSquared) submitted a final report of the
    technical working group co-chaired by LightSquared and the United States Global Positioning System
    (GPS) Industry Council (USGIC)I and organized in response to a condition in FCC Order and
    Authorization, DA 11-133 (released January 26, 2011).2 The condition required that LightSquared help
    organize and participate in a technical working group "that brings LightSquared and the GPS
    community together" to address potential interference issues recently raised by members of the GPS
    community.3 The Order "envision[ed] a working group in which cooperative and candid discussions
    can ensue, and where information, including proprietary information, can be shared among the
    participants with appropriate measures in place to protect the confidentiality of that information."4 The
    condition required submission of a final report that includes the working group's analyses of the
    potential for overload interference to GPS devices from LightSquared's terrestrial network of base
    stations, technical and operational steps to avoid any such interference, and specific recommendations
    going forward to mitigate potential interference to GPS devices. Among other things,5 the Order also
    made clear that, "as a condition of granting this waiver, the [working group] process ... addressing the
    interference concerns regarding GPS must be completed to the Commission's satisfaction before
    LightSquared commences offering commercial service pursuant to this waiver on its L-band MSS
    frequencies."6
    The technical working group effort identified significant technical issues related to potential
    LightSquared operations in the upper portion of the L-Band, which is most proximate to the band used
    by GPS. Over more than three months, the technical working group tested more than 130 representative
    devices in seven different receiver categories, in a number of different test environments. The tests
    demonstrated potentially significant interference between LightSquared operations in the upper portion
    of the band and various GPS receivers. The tests also identified some interference issues in the lower 10
    MHz portion of the band. The overall conclusion of the testing is that transmissions in the upper 10
    MHz channel- the channel nearest to the 1559-1610 MHz GPS band - will adversely affect the
    performance of a significant number of legacy GPS receivers.
    In addition to the technical working group report, LightSquared has submitted its
    recommendations to address the problems identified by the working group.7 In particular, LightSquared
    indicates its willingness to: (1) operate at lower power than permitted by its existing FCC authorization;
    (2) agree to a "standstill" in the terrestrial use of its Upper 10 MHz frequencies immediately adjacent to
    the GPS band; and (3) commence terrestrial commercial operations only on the lower 10 MHz portion
    of its spectrum and to coordinate and share the cost of underwriting a workable solution for the small
    number of legacy precision measurement devices that may be at risk. We specifically invite comment
    on these recommendations, including any alternative proposals to enable these two important services GPS
    devices and L-band mobile broadband - to co-exist. We also welcome comments on the technical
    working group report generally. Comments should be filed no later than July 30, 2011, and reply
    comments by August 15,2011.