Thread: motor help!!

Default motor help!!

I have a newish honda 50/35 jet on a 16ft crestliner. the motor seems to loose power or be over revving. the impeller is good and i have a new sleeve put in. its shimmed down correctly but still isn't pushing. im having a hard time even getting on step if i can get there at all. one thing im worried about is i ran it last week without realizing that there were rocks in my tube that spits water out the back, showing that the water pump is working. i cleared it out so its spitting water out and still am under powered. stumped on what i should do next. don't know whats going on with this thing. any suggestions.

thanks

If the motor ingested rocks/gravel an inspection of the intake grate at the foot needs to take place as well as inside the pump housing, the leading edge of the immpller and the condition of the sleeve, the outlet of the pump may have a rock stuck in it. New parts only new until they get used, if you ran the boat after installing those parts an ran into some hard bottom then they will need attention.

As to the water pump, if the the cooling system was affected by the rocks/sand so that the telltell was obstructed, there is a good chance the water pump impeller suffered a good deal and is not cooling effectively enough. I would give that a good look as well and likely replace it even if it looks OK.

Several years ago I backed into a sand bar with my OBjet and it ate alot of sand plugging the telltell, I managed to get it cleared so that water came out, as I traveled downstream my engine began to overheat. I stopped immediately and disassembled the water pump and removed the impeller, the fins and housing looked great. While inspecting the impeller I inserted my finger into the center of the impeller and twisted it... snap. What happened when that sand was ingested was a siezure of the impeller rotor stripping its' bond with the center hub, thus the impeller/water pump was unable to provide adequate cooling.

thanks. yesterday i messed with it a bit and ended up changing the impeller. after i got all the rocks spit out of the tell tale it ran way better. its been spitting out little rocks or debris out every now and then and clogs it up. i have to squeeze the tube, trying to get the rocks out. it actually blew off one time it got clogged and the motor just died. ran it for about half hour and clogged 3 times. is there a better way to flush the water pump?? thanks for your response 338, helped me get started.

You are welcome.

The best way to flush it is when all is apart, both directions with a garden hose. Since you have it back together you may just want to give it a little time to self clean provided the engine gets adequate cooling.