Thread: Why I Love My 358Win

Default Why I Love My 358Win

Now first of all I am not recoil sensitive as can be seen by my targets shooting my 300Win Mag. The 300Win Mag will get some folks attention because recoil with just a 165gr bullet can be more than some want.

Here is recoil of my 165gr HPBT deer load in my 300Win Mag.

Bullet Dia (in): 0.308
    Case Length (in): 2.620
    Case Volume (gr H2O): 86.4
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 3161
    Bullet Wt (gr): 165
    Charge Weight (gr): 74
    Barrel Length (in): 24
    Firearm Weight (lb): 7.50
    Free recoil energy is 31.1 ft-lb. (42.2 Joule)

The 300Win Mag does hit hard and really shakes the animal as it is slamming it to the ground in a lot of cases especially deer, hogs and black bear.

My 358Win does not do that to game, they just seem to clasps and drop to the ground. It is interesting to note the difference in the field between these two cartridges. There is obviously a lot of dynamic shock with the 300Win Mag and a lot of momentum and frontal area with the heavier bullet in the 358Win. They seem to act differently as far as terminal results are concerned, which can be seen by the way game act when hit, at least that is what I have observed over the last five years using both of these cartridges each hunting season.

But what is so cool with the 358win is the less free recoil energy and how easy it is to shoot when using a much heavier bullet. It really is a lot of fun to shoot at the range and to carry in the field and watch an animal just clasps like a house of cards. I do love this cartridge and always have been impressed with the accuracy of my specific out of the box Ruger Hawkeye Blued/Wood version.

Here is the recoil of my 225gr Sierra G/K SBT deer load.

Bullet Dia (in): 0.358
    Case Length (in): 2.015
    Case Volume (gr H2O): 178.7
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 2464
    Bullet Wt (gr): 225
    Charge Weight (gr): 47
    Barrel Length (in): 22
    Free recoil energy is 23.7 ft-lb. (32.1 Joule)

Yes, I think this is one of the most under rated black timber, dense woods, thick swamp cartridges around. As the Lord is my witness, so far everything I have shot with my 358Win has dropped right were I shot it. Now all my shots have been under 200yds so far.

It is not a fast cartridge although on tough game I can choose to use my 225gr Accubond, 225gr Partition or Hawk with TAC powder traveling over 2500fps but these are not as accurate as the above load.

I am fascinated with guns, all kinds of guns, and especially all kinds of rifle cartridges, but the 358Win has won my affection. If at all possible, due to terrain and conditions that I know about, I tend to reach for my 358Win. Cool cartridge indeed.

Here is a link to my full article on the 358Win http://ammoguide.com/?article=mhsp68/358
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Very nice post BT!
    I have not looked - is the 358W still being produced by Ruger?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Very nice post BT!
    I have not looked - is the 358W still being produced by Ruger?
    No, they dropped the blued/wood version and then one year later dropped the stainless version of the Hawkeye. Ruger has done a lot of things lately that puzzle me.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I had one in the 77R commemorative issue waaaayyy back in either late 70's or early 80's but never fired a round thru it.
    Can't hunt much in Il with rifles and that was back in the "baby making / raising " stage of my life before I was able to start traveling to places a 358 would have been useful!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I mean to say 57.0 grs of water case capacity and 23.7 free foot pounds of recoil for the 358Win - sorry
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I think you meant to say "collapse", as in fall down, instead of "clasp", to grab or hold. Nicely written, besides.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I think you meant to say "collapse", as in fall down, instead of "clasp", to grab or hold. Nicely written, besides.
    Yes, I did, thank you for the correction.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Large Frontal Diameter, moderate velocity; Hummm, lets see anyone wannna argue this one? Sweet looking shootin Iron, and based on all the posts of yours I have read thus far; a well Informed opinion. Jeff

Dream gun: Pre 64 Win. Model 88 in 358 Win!!!

Oh, and under $1000.

Here is a PM I received and I asked if he would mind if I posted it without his name and it shows how we have some traditional myths that have persisted through the years.

I am actually surprised. Had never thought much about it but assumed the 358 exceeded the 300 WinMag with recoil. That's good information. Thanks!
    Even when driving a 250gr Partition at 2300fps I am way less than a 300Win Mag with a 165gr bullet. A calculator for recoil can dispel a lot of traditional myths that have been floating around for years. In fact a 30-06 with a 220gr bullet moving 2450fps has more recoil than a 358Win pushing a 250gr bullet at 2300fps. And when you consider that my 358Win is pushing a 225gr bullet at 2464fps and has less recoil than a 30-06 with a 220gr bullet, it removes a lot of that nonsense that was foster through the years that the 358Win kicked to much.

30-06 220gr bullet
    Bullet Dia (in): 0.308
    Case Length (in): 2.494
    Case Volume (gr H2O): 67.1
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 2450
    Bullet Wt (gr): 220
    Charge Weight (gr): 53
    Free recoil energy is 24.9 ft-lb. (33.7 Joule)

358Win 250gr bullet
    Bullet Dia (in): 0.358
    Case Length (in): 2.015
    Case Volume (gr H2O): 57.3
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 2300
    Bullet Wt (gr): 250
    Charge Weight (gr): 47
    Free recoil energy is 24.7 ft-lb. (33.5 Joule)
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

On the way to work this morning I stopped by the range and shot the last four rounds I had loaded for my 358Win just to see how much adjustment I needed for sighting in my hunting load. I will move it two clicks to the right. Yep, I just love the 358win

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS