Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADN Kenai dipnetter falls in and dies....

Default ADN Kenai dipnetter falls in and dies....

I've been looking at the forum posts just to see if anyone knew this gentleman. I didn't see any post on it. I was sad to see this come up in my email from ADN for the latest fishing report.

Sad to hear and even sadder for the family I suspect.

FF

Dipnetter, 71, dies after fall into Kenai River
    A 71-year-old man has died after falling into the Kenai River while dipnetting.

This article and the following commentaries bring up an interesting conundrum.... Just what makes for full-time residency in AK??? I lived here for two years before even THINKING of getting a dipnetting permit, PDF or any other benefits that AK offers residents. As a Washington landowner but an Alaskan resident I didn't think it would be legal to take advantage of the dipnetting up here.

Still....does not negate the fact that this fellow sucumbed to the Kenai and more than likely left a family and friends.

Unfortunate.
    "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

We saw the tail end of this. Very sad. Happened right at the bridge and in front of a lot of people.

Talked to a co-worker who saw the ambulance pull out that morning from the spot by the river.

If he wasn't a resident, I guess that's what we call KARMA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    Talked to a co-worker who saw the ambulance pull out that morning from the spot by the river.

You are an ass

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    You are an ass
    What he said
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I was right there that morning and I was the one who made the call to 911. I was just checking out the dipping before I went to work. It was very sad to witness that first thing in the morning. After the ambulance left and the dippers thanked everyone for helping out I went home to see may family for a few minutes. It puts everything in perspective to witness a scene like that.

I would like to thank the nearby dipnetters who all rushed to his aid, pulled him up on the bank, tried to revive him and one nurse who was dipping nearby who quickly took control of the situation and started CPR. It was good to see good people who were trying to help out their fellow neighbor. I would also like to say that the Kenai police and fire department arrived very quickly and worked hard to help this gentleman.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones.

Everybody, please don't forget to tell your family that you love them and give your spouse and kids a big hug.

The rules for residency vary with the benefit - it makes for some interesting study if you want to be safe.

If you own land in another state and claim a homestead exemption or any other benefit from being a resident there you can't claim a PFD. You may qualify for a resident fishing license if you have been a resident here for the past 365 days and don't claim a resident license somewhere else as I understand it. You also need an AK drivers license - I think they use that license number to determine when the DL was issued.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Farmgirl View Post
    I've been looking at the forum posts just to see if anyone knew this gentleman. I didn't see any post on it. I was sad to see this come up in my email from ADN for the latest fishing report.

Sad to hear and even sadder for the family I suspect.

FF

Dipnetter, 71, dies after fall into Kenai River
    A 71-year-old man has died after falling into the Kenai River while dipnetting.

This article and the following commentaries bring up an interesting conundrum.... Just what makes for full-time residency in AK??? I lived here for two years before even THINKING of getting a dipnetting permit, PDF or any other benefits that AK offers residents. As a Washington landowner but an Alaskan resident I didn't think it would be legal to take advantage of the dipnetting up here.

Still....does not negate the fact that this fellow sucumbed to the Kenai and more than likely left a family and friends.

Unfortunate.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

amen brotha

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    amen brotha
    Always good to see the value some folks put on a Human Life.

Way to uphold the image of your brethren Dipnetters.

Never thought any fish and game violation was worthy of a death sentence.

But I can add 2 names to the list of folks who should submit immediately to sterilization.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    But I can add 2 names to the list of folks who should submit immediately to sterilization.....
    way ahead of ya
    i'm a virgin
    but not by choice cuz ms. karma's a *****

Hippie, I think skydivers statement (post #4) says all that needs be said about such persons. What is absolutely dumbfounding to me tho is the number of people who having observed one of their peers being called out (rightfully so) as "an ass", will raise their hands excitedly and exclaim "me too, me too".
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    You are an ass
    Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    What he said

Say what you will, but I stand by my original statement. I did qualify it with an IF because the ADN called him "an Alaska resident who spends his summers traveling the state." They also stated that he winters in Washington. People can read whatever they want to into my statement or whatever anyone else says. I just have a hard time feeling sorry for people who have something bad happen when they are breaking the rules, or the law for that matter. I mean, let's say old man is driving 75 MPH down the road and rolls the vehicle and dies. Then what?

Say what you will, but I stand by my original statement. I did qualify it with an IF because the ADN called him "an Alaska resident who spends his summers traveling the state." They also stated that he winters in Washington. People can read whatever they want to into my statement or whatever anyone else says. I just have a hard time feeling sorry for people who have something bad happen when they are breaking the rules, or the law for that matter. I mean, let's say old man is driving 75 MPH down the road and rolls the vehicle and dies. Then what?
    Karma is something you should be concerned with in regard to the manner in which you conduct your own affairs. It is not something to be proclaimed toward another person as if it were a statement of guilt and passage of judgement. To do so only demonstrates ignorance and meaness of spirit.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

May the gentleman rest in peace, regardless of his former place of residence.
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Karma is something you should be concerned with in regard to the manner in which you conduct your own affairs. It is not something to be proclaimed toward another person as if it were a statement of guilt and passage of judgement. To do so only demonstrates ignorance and meaness of spirit.

FYI all: Proper use of the term "karma" should be defined here. Contrary to the "My Name is Earl" definition, Karma means your reincarnated state is determined by your spiritual progress in this present incarnation. In this view, the gentleman who drowned then, was not being punished by Karma for living out-of-state and dipping like a resident. He was paying for something done in a previous incarnation. Remember Ram Dass's famous explanation of abortion?

BTW, if you believe in Karma, how's that work, practically speaking. Who's keeping track of eveybody's actions and attitudes, anyway, in the impersonal cosmos?

Bad things happen to good people and bad people both. The sun shines on the evil and the just equally. The poor man died because it's real dangerous to dip in the muck by the bridge.

~tr

Dipping from shore just plain sucks.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Adn now says the guy probably had a heartattack and then fell in the water. The karmatic river monster did not get the Washington property owner.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

This man died probably doing something he loved. That's not a bad way to go. I feel for his family and friends. This also shows how close heaven or hell are. Just a heartbeat away. We prepare for our adventures in the wild and when we do, we should be prepared for eternity if we don't come back.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Adn now says the guy probably had a heartattack and then fell in the water. The karmatic river monster did not get the Washington property owner.
    Condolences to the friends and family of the deceased. May he RIP. My question is, what difference does it make where a person owns property?

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Condolences to the friends and family of the deceased. May he RIP. My question is, what difference does it make where a person owns property?
    Good question. There are lots of snowbirds up here. Retired folks who call Alaska home but can't deal with long winters anymore, so they spend part of the year elsewhere. Not sure why it was even brought up. You can still be a resident of Alaska and do this perfectly legally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast