Thread: Seward Silvers

Default Seward Silvers

So, heading to Seward this weekend for some fishing. How far out do ya have to go for silvers now? Anyone care to share some general areas for rockfish as well? I've only been out of Seward once and it was a bust.

Thanks
    Rob

Should be all over the bay this weekend, they were as close as Caines Head last weekend, most any rocky point in the bay hold Rock Fish, these areas are fished hard and larger fish will be located outside the bay. Will be there also this weekend, so far looks like good water and weather.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

There were quite a few boats fishing Callisto head last weekend, so I don't think you'll have any problem starting at Caines Head and working your way out if necessary. I have picked up some rockfish South Bear Glacier drifting over the rocks, but I typically head out past Aialik if I want good bottom fishing.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Great. Thanks for the info.

Talked with a buddy who was out Tues/Wed; Agnes produced limits both days. Not sure if you want (or need) to go out that far, but thought I would throw out a 'current' report.

Limited out again with 7 on board within 8 miles from the harbor..great morning..but terrible afternoon...confused seas and south wind was beating everyone up... Lots of boats around south fox and east of Hive. Big schools I will assume as we pushed through to Ruggad for rockfish. Bite was not as active as the last two weeks..but they were still there. Even pulled in another 2 kings trolling for Silvers. Had my two 5yo twins, one 8 yo girl and a 13yo on board that had never fished in his life...what a shame..but great opportunity to get him on some fish..all had a great time and did their share of reeling in the fish..was a blast to have the kids out for a day....

Hoping this practice pays off for the Derby...lol

Hope everyone killed them as well

DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Went in my Yak Saturday and saw fish hopping around from Miller's landing out to Derby Cove. I hooked two landed one and it turned out to be a small silver right off Tonsina Creek. I thought I'd hook chums or pinks but was happy to see they were silvers. At least the one that got off I am pretty sure was silver. Used a 5.0 coyote spoon behind a fish flash flasher and banana sinker.

They sure are in closer than normal it seems like. So in two hours of trolling one rod I hooked two silvers and landed one. Not bad for this close and this early in the year.

photo%u0025252520%2525285%252529.JPG

Well, On Saturday we ran out around the Cape and caught a few silvers. The rollers got pretty crappy so we ran into Mary's Bay and anchored up. We caught one small halibut then started trolling for silvers. Brought in a 40lb king and plenty of silvers and black bass too. Great time out. The weather was alittle wet but not too bad. Sunday was a different story. Rough water.......

Put my son on a half day charter with Miller's tonight. There were about 10 people fishing and only managed to bring in about ten silvers and some pollock. He enjoyed going out on the boat but unless his experience is abnormal, I would never recommend that trip.

My father and I camped at millers for the previous two weeks, we almost always had our 12 silvers by noon and would watch what the other boats were bringing in and all I can say is that i really do feel sorry for anyone that goes on a charter there...

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTINFOOL1 View Post
    Put my son on a half day charter with Miller's tonight. There were about 10 people fishing and only managed to bring in about ten silvers and some pollock. He enjoyed going out on the boat but unless his experience is abnormal, I would never recommend that trip.

I hear ya...I know mooching seems to be the ticket down there with outfitters..They all do thier best with locating the schools first as we know and then mooch the depth they are at... to me, I just enjoy the action of trolling and rods dancing..works for me and others there as well. Seems once located, the mooching allows them to reach limits with larger groups..bouncing off of schools. I prefer trolling and bounching off shools...once I locate a school with the big ones.. I will stay with them. To each his own I suspect. I would just think the outfitters going daily would have a better idea of where the fish are generally located...making this easier. I feel bad if I dont get my friends and family on fish..let alone if I was taking paying customers as a guide.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I picked up my first seward silver trolling the banks of lowell point. What a nice day out on the water until the winds changed a forced me out of the water. The incoming tide isnt too friendly on people with inflatable boats

Paid for a charter out of Seward on Sunday. Only half day, so limited time to fish. Ran all the way out to Whidbey Bay and got skunked. Only 2.5 hrs to fish out of a 6 hr charter. Too far to run to find slow fishing. About half the boat got skunked, so I'm not taking it too personally. If you're going to spend more than 50% of a charter running outside, then you'd better find fish. Not sure I'm keen on spending the money on a charter again.

Silvers are there but have scattered it seems some. Saturday had to work for them but got em. Sunday was a little better in finding them and also was lucky enough to get 4 kings too so that was nice.

Remember the guides aren't magicians, but they do there best to get you on them, otherwise they won't be in business too long... tight lines and have fun.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Paid for a charter out of Seward on Sunday. Only half day, so limited time to fish. Ran all the way out to Whidbey Bay and got skunked. Only 2.5 hrs to fish out of a 6 hr charter. Too far to run to find slow fishing. About half the boat got skunked, so I'm not taking it too personally. If you're going to spend more than 50% of a charter running outside, then you'd better find fish. Not sure I'm keen on spending the money on a charter again.
    That seems a little too far to run on a half day trip.

Remember to talk with your guide and tell em what you want. If you dont speak up they are just gonna do what they think you want and that may not actually be your goal.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Most likely they ran that far because that's where the good fishing was the day before. Happens all the time out there. You go where the fish were, only to find them no longer there. Intentions are good, but it's fishing...the fish have to cooperate a bit, too.

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    Silvers are there but have scattered it seems some. Saturday had to work for them but got em. Sunday was a little better in finding them and also was lucky enough to get 4 kings too so that was nice.
    Where were you fishing, if you don't mind me asking. I'm taking a buddy's boat out next weekend, and given the luck I had on Sunday was considering Whittier. Any word on the two areas? Given the choice, and a day trip from Anchorage, where would you go to put some Silvers in the cooler?

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Where were you fishing, if you don't mind me asking. I'm taking a buddy's boat out next weekend, and given the luck I had on Sunday was considering Whittier. Any word on the two areas? Given the choice, and a day trip from Anchorage, where would you go to put some Silvers in the cooler?
    I only fish Seward so I can't give you any data on Whittier. For Seward, I fish all the usual spots but what I do is a little different. I'll fish kinda were the other boats are but I refuse to climb up other boats back sides as most others will sometimes do, I also will not run my engines full throttle on or near my fishing areas (I idle in and out of areas.) So on Saturday, I fished fox, Agnes (even ran to pony) back to Cheval Is, Rugged, Calisto, Cains head, and army docks. I picked up fish almost at every spot too, just wasn't hot.

Then on Sunday since I was only doing a half day, I did the same thing except mixed up the order and went only to the spots that no other boats were at until Agnes (plenty of other boats) but I again didn't fish around the other boats. And I go through a lot of bait both for chum and cut plug. (And sorry, I didn't fish fox, I think fox was hit hard over the last few days and scattered them pretty good.)

Good luck.
    Tony

I am going to Seward during labor day. Will Silvers still be in, close? I have a 15 foot boston whaler?

Gusto

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I am going to Seward during labor day. Will Silvers still be in, close? I have a 15 foot boston whaler?

Gusto
    If the run in the bay materializes as well as it seems now, it should be great right in town by then. If anything, a tad on the back side of the run.

Won't even need a boat. I have fished from the rockwall on the road leading out to Miller's landing with pretty good luck using a herring under a float. But boats trolling that area are hooking up.