Thread: Remington 887

Default Remington 887

Has anybody out there used the new remington 887 for duck hunting? If so, how is it holding up. I'm in the market for a new shotgun this fall and I see there is one NIB on Alaskslist. I was planning on getting an 870 but the 887 looks pretty nice and isn't that bad of a price.

I'm intrested to hear what people who own this gun have to say too. I've not heard good things about it on other forums...

Erich

I do not personally own one but have handled a couple. If you have fired an 870 than you pretty much know what your getting, with a suped up stock and paint job. There are a lot of people that like 870's, I used to have one but never again. Once you go to the two B's you never go back (Bennelli/Beretta).

Quote Originally Posted by akair View Post
    I do not personally own one but have handled a couple. If you have fired an 870 than you pretty much know what your getting, with a suped up stock and paint job. There are a lot of people that like 870's, I used to have one but never again. Once you go to the two B's you never go back (Bennelli/Beretta).
    That's not what I felt in my hands when I held one, or what the guys who've shot one said. My only waterfowl gun is an 870 and I thought the 887 felt very plastic'y in my hands, and it seemed to rattle. The guys who reported shooting them said it was like a cheaper benelli nova in feel and performance, not the improvement they had hoped for since remington was entering the market late.

I have not shot an 887 though.

Erich

hunted with a friend that had one. found the fit/finish to be very poor. the gun also jammed over and over (new clean gun.) it just feels cheap and the gun is very bulky. Fail in my book.
    AKair, simply not true. Own both and i waterfowl hunt with a mossberg. there are so many great guns out there that if you limit yourself by hopping on the beretta benelli bandwagon (and thats truly all it is) then you are missing out.

Thanks for the info guys, guess I'll steer away from the 887. I actually have a Benelli that I love, unfortunately it is an m1 tactical with an 18.5 barrel so it doesn't quite reach as far as I want to shoot. New barrels are more than a new shotgun, so I figured I would be better off adding a gun to my collection. Plus, I have shot the Benelli in really cold temps and it gets really slow in the action; It sometimes even needs a little assisance to fully chamber a round. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Benelli, but I just don't think it(my gun) will be as good of a gun in the wet, muddy and cold enviroment the ducks are in. I have also been considering the Benelli Super Nova, but they are a little higher priced than a 870 and I'll admit I usually go for whatever gets the job done the best for the best price.
    If I can find a used nova for less than an 870 I will probably go that route, but so far it looks like the 870 is going to be it.

Benelli/Beretta bandwagon...PFFFFT!!! I love my benelli, and have never had any problems in the cold up here. I have hunted some pretty cold weather up here too. You won't be disappointed in the 870, they are great guns, and are very easy to maintain.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

you simply can not go wrong with beretta or benelli....... however there are other companies that that can be said for.

I own a 887 nitromag. I don't have any complaints with it, good solid gun. Like alot of ppl said it's basically a 870. I like it alot better than the new 870's they have out. Used it all season last year and I'm hard on my duck guns. It shot after a 3 day hunt with no cleaning and mud caked on and in it. When I cleaned it I have straw and mud all in the bolt. No problems.

I love mine. Espicakly use itnon the ocean. The protective coating on the barrel makes it one less thing to worry about rust. One thing I was worried was the recoil of the gun due to it being really light. I was surprised how low the recoil was. The gun swings was good.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK