Thread: BEADS: BLOOD DOT or NOT?

Default BEADS: BLOOD DOT or NOT?

Hey guys,

I am a Great Lakes chrome fisherman, and our season is beginnig to gear up. Kings and chrome are in 100 feet of water, so the next water release, there will be fishing stacking up in the estuaries, if not entering the river. Therefore, you know what this time of the year means, BEAD prep TIME!

I have more beads than I dare to admit, however one could ALWAYS use more. This past season I have used BLOOD DOT beads. I caught my share of fish on them, however I caught my share of fish on regular, NON BLOOD DOT beads as well...

Are blood dot beads really worth the effort/money? Sure, they look as if the egg is fertilized, but I am unsure if BD's are the "make it or break it"...

Is one time of year better than another? If so, I assume that time would be LATE spawn/early winter?

Looking for your opinions on this matter. Lets keep it PG. Thanks guys!!! -Chris

Default Imperfect flies = variety. It's the variety that pays...

Ideally, one would fish both in matched conditions and compare results. Problems though are the elements we can't control and as one of my Jedi fly fishing friends commented, it's hard to know if you fish a fly more because it works, or it works because you fish it more.

Imperfect flies: First, sometimes fish seem to want something different - a different fly, or just a variation of the same fly - a dot, a larger/smaller bead, color change - or my favorite, a leech, flesh or stone fly (with bead attractor). This might be why blue beads or blood red beads work. Dunno. Second, My inclination is that many marketed variations in flies (& other fishing lures) catch more fishermen than fish. Trying a variety of ideas is productive, but seldom is there just one thing.

Sam Mihara, in Fly Fishing Alaska, describes 10 flies he thinks are most useful in Alaska, but 2 of them are flies tied with random pieces of colored yarn slipped into an egg loop. I think it's fair to say that most of my tied flies are imperfect, but I have caught far more fish on flies I've tied than flies I've bought. Sometimes, I tie those flies with intentional variations, but often it's ... um, technique. But I'm a big fan of experimenting when the fishing slows - and Fall steelhead fishing up here especially is a good time to experiment.

"Don't leave fish to find fish". "Cover lots of water when the fishing is slow". "Experiment".

Good luck - be interested to hear how things go.

Thank you for the reply 6x, that is some food for thought!

I too like to experiment when the fishing is slow..Ill throw on one of those imperfect flies or a green or white bead to change it up...It DOES work, so like you said, I dont think there is ONE bead/variation that works better ALL the time.

Thanks again and tight lines!

I like to go off the board too when fishing is slow. Danattherock makes clay beads. I had him make me some last year and had him "squish" them. Flatten them out a bit like little UFO's. They have thier good days. I found this from another buddy. We were at value village. There was a necklace in the case. Fresh egg color about a size 8 but they were "squished" down a bit. By golly he caught a 34 inch buck on one and I got a 28 inch hen. Never be afraid to go off the board
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

ufo's. lol sounds crazy. last year i saw a guy mash a orange and red starburst together like a bead and catch a steelie. the same guy told me that he had tied a sunflower seed shell on before and caught grayling like a dry. really opened my eyes to possiblities out there. kinda sketched out bout the starburst thing though, dont know if it would be considered bait! lol

Simms, I too am a midwesterner(born and raised outside of Duluth,Mn). Blood dot globugs and beads are definitely the way to go there, especially in green and white. Up here I have found that buying regular beads and painting them myself is the way to go. I usually dont dot them. It might be a regional thing but when in doubt, go Jedi!

wait you are fishing "estuaries" (which don't exist in the great lakes, because they are freshwater) with beads?

I'm confused (seriously)

anyway blood dots are dumb if you are trying to imitate eggs that are available to trout, eyed eggs don't happen for a few weeks, and when the egg leaves the gravel (in say a flood or other scouring event) it quickly turns milky, go find some salmon eggs floating in a back eddy or something, take a look at them, imitate that. Blood dots probably work just as well as corkies (which work really really good).

All and all I'd recommend a clouser (in the estuary anyway)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    wait you are fishing "estuaries" (which don't exist in the great lakes, because they are freshwater) with beads?

I'm confused (seriously)

All and all I'd recommend a clouser (in the estuary anyway)
    Estuary-where the tide meets the stream

True tides, changes in water level caused by the gravitational forces of the sun and moon, do occur in a semi-diurnal (twice daily) pattern on the Great Lakes.

SIMMS,
    I have never had a need to fish a blood dot egg, I think they are one of those things that catch fisherman. If you notice with those the quantity goes way down and the price way up. But I too would recommend have one of the off the wall beads, exotic shape or color. I have fished double and triple pegged beads on slow days and had success.

Hey guys,

Thank you soo much!!!

powder_monkey, NO, NOT ESTUARY! I mean they are stacking up in them, WAITING TO COME INTO THE RIVERS...

Quote Originally Posted by SIMMS View Post
    Lets keep it PG.

**** yourself.

Doubt a blood dot will make much difference either way. The more I learn, the more strongly I feel that the way you fish a fly (or bead) is far more important than the fly/bead itself. I have caught fish on stuff most you guys would laugh at. I have also not caught fish throwing stuff you swear by. In times past when fishing was slow, first thing I did was change flies. Now I change speed, location in water column, and presentation. If that doesn't work, I often find downsizing my offering is of benefit. THEN I start changing flies (or beads). I am not a great fly fisherman yet, but these tactics have led to more fish than my old ways.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

I'm confused (seriously)

No **** Sherlock
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I once was lucky enough to fly in to an almost unknown clear-water trib to a glacial river that was stacked with kings in about 5 feet of water at the confluence and up 50 yards. We could stand there and pick out which kings we wanted to cast to and watch the take on our "king killer" flies (ball of yarn on a hook). Why am I telling you this? Because it was quite the study in fish behavior and I learned that I could throw an orange fly and catch 4 fish in 6 casts, then go a dozen casts with no reactions....change to pink...first cast I would be hooked up with a fish that just stared at the orange go by all those drifts prior. Then the pink would die down and I'd switch to chartreuse and the action was back on again.

Moral: yes, changing your colors, etc. works IMO. Also have luck on rainbows fishing a bead on a hole, catching a few right away, then when it dies off, go to flesh and you can pick up a few more before you give up on that hole.

Not (doesn't matter in catching/not catching fish, so just one more step in tying your own)

Thought this would help folks decide paint, no paint, dot no dot

http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...selection.html