Thread: Bow Hunting Regs?

Default Bow Hunting Regs?

I am wondering if there are any hidden rules in bow hunting and if there is a place for me to look them up? I have heard stories on lighted nocks, sights with reostats, and others. I am trying to find out what is a myth or a place where these regulations are posted. Thanks

Pages 18-20 of the 2011-2012 regs. "You MAY NOT use electronic devices or lights attached to the bow, arrow, or arrowhead with the exception of a non-illuminating camera or a lighted nock on the end of the arrow". Lighted nocks are allowed. "You MAY NOT use scopes or other devices attached to the bow or arrow for optical enhancement". I know that the lighted nock question has been brought up before. Even when i went to the bowhunter ed class our instructor said you couldn't use them until i pointed it out in the regs to him.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Unfortunately, changes to the regs do not necessarily make it down to the instructors every year. No light on your sights, yes to lighted nocks. I've never needed a lighted sight in Alaska.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Context is everything.

Regulations for "archery equipment in archery restricted hunts" may be different than for "archery equipment restrictions per the general hunting restrictions." For example, I wouldn't use electronically lighted pins in a archery restricted hunt. But illuminated reticles are allowed on rifles in the general season. I would think the electronically lighted pins on the bow sight would be allowed (in the general season) as they do not broadcast a beam of light onto the animal, or provide an electronic night vision aid in order to see the animal.

Thanks for the info...So the next question is most new sights all have a rheostat on them to light up pins in low light situations...Is this legal and if not will you get in trouble if you use this sight but disconnect the rheostat and leave it at home? As a new hunter the this great state I would really hate to get in trouble the first year I hunt. AKDoug brings up a good point about reticles on a rifle and you would think that archery equipment would allow it due to the fact of good shot placements and the already difficulty level of the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8Gulf View Post
    Thanks for the info...So the next question is most new sights all have a rheostat on them to light up pins in low light situations...Is this legal and if not will you get in trouble if you use this sight but disconnect the rheostat and leave it at home? As a new hunter the this great state I would really hate to get in trouble the first year I hunt. AKDoug brings up a good point about reticles on a rifle and you would think that archery equipment would allow it due to the fact of good shot placements and the already difficulty level of the hunt.
    This has been discussed a lot on here. Check out this thread from earlier this year: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Sight-Argument

I'm sure a quick search (very good place to start when you have specific questions) at the top of the page with something like "lights" or "lighted" would pick up even more information. Good luck, and good on you for doing the reaserch BEFORE it becomes a problem. Far too many don't make that initial effort and either get in trouble or make everyone else look bad in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8Gulf View Post
    Thanks for the info...So the next question is most new sights all have a rheostat on them to light up pins in low light situations...Is this legal and if not will you get in trouble if you use this sight but disconnect the rheostat and leave it at home? As a new hunter the this great state I would really hate to get in trouble the first year I hunt. AKDoug(???) brings up a good point about reticles on a rifle and you would think that archery equipment would allow it due to the fact of good shot placements and the already difficulty level of the hunt.
    With rifles (and illuminated reticles) in other states, I've heard simply taking the battery out doesn't make it legal as they would be concerned about the hunter that walked around with the battery in their pocket, loaded it into the scope, used the rifle, and then removed the battery. I would assume F&G agencies may have a similar view of the detachable lights that are used on bow sights to light the pins, therefore I would be hesitant to use the sight in a archery restricted hunt.

Since there are many manufacturers and even more models of sights, would strongly recommend you talk directly to the fish and game regarding your specific sight and proposed hunting usage (as a general weapon or restricted archery season). When I was registering bear baiting stations this past year, I was told the people at that Counter (Raspberry office) would be able to help answer regulation questions ... and involve others from the department if they did not readily know the answer. Of course, if you feel their answer is insufficient or controversial, feel free to ask them for a letter with the F&G determination on the sights that you plan to use.