Thread: Winch for a small jon boat

Default Winch for a small jon boat

I have a small Jon boat (12ft I think may be 14ft) and a small older outboard I am planning on useing for Duck hunting. I am going to add a winch to it. Who here has added a winch and how did you attach it to the boat? What size will I need for a boat that size?

What is the intened use for the winch ?

I plan on useing the winch to pull the boat up banks and out of lakes, or off sand bars if I get stuck on one. The boat would have my decoys blind material and camping gear in it probably less than 200 pounds of gear.

ATV winch from Costco. Bolt it to the boat and use a nice heay backer plate to help spread the load when pulling. Be sure to use stainless hardware.
    BK

A rope-a-along and the correct rope is what I suggest, far lighter and far more useful than the battery you will need to keep charged and carry in the boat when you want to use the electric winch. They can be had at AIH.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    A rope-a-along and the correct rope is what I suggest, far lighter and far more useful than the battery you will need to keep charged and carry in the boat when you want to use the electric winch. They can be had at AIH.
    I was thinking about carrying a small electric Mincota for a back up motor, so the battery would already be with me. Good idea tho, and probably lots cheaper.

Is a 2000lbs atv winch strong enough for this kind of job or should I go bigger?

It should be plenty. If things seem tough one can always cut some alder branches for a skid.

pm sent,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks akblackdowg, really appreciate the help.

Take a look at the Simpsonwinch, self contained 4 stoke honda capstan winch, only weights 18 lbs. Kinda pricy but really like mine so far.

I have one of those winches from Costco that is still new in the box just collecting dust. If you are interested you can have it for $50.
    Tennessee

With a 12 foot jon boat, why would you need anything more than a heavy duty "come-along"? Isn't that the beauty of having a light boat?

I have seen huge timbers moved with a come-along. They are easy to operate, have multiple uses (such as moving logs and butchering moose), and need no gas or battery. They run on armstrong power.

With a 12' boat why would you need a winch? Assuming there's something to tie off to I could easily pull a 12' boat w/ motor using a rope. Tie a loop or two and use the human winch. 200# of gear? Unload it first.

Thanks all, I already purchased an winch for it, now just got to build a mounting plate. (anybody want to share pictures of what they have?)

I thought about a come-along, but a winch is just as cheap and if I attatch it too my boat it won't get "borrowed". Man power thing sounds good, but I don't want to pull a boat through mud up a steep bank after unloading it, and I can afford a winch to do the job for me.

@ Snowwolfe, If I hear of anybody else looking for a winch I will let you know. Thanks for the offer, if I hadn't already purchased one I would have probably wanted it.