Thread: Why do some salmon bite on flies??

Default Why do some salmon bite on flies??

Why do salmon bite on flies??? Is it because of the color of the fly looking like eggs etc??? Or is it because the flies attract them like lures do???? Because I know most salmon don't eat when they return up river to spawn.
    -Zach

Fish ON!!!!

It depends on the Species. Reds dont "bite" That is a whole different debate on many many threads there. Alot of salmon still feed in fresh water They will hit eggs, flies and other patterens.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Salmon also strike due to an aggravation response to flies/lures entering their space. My wife does this as well!

Jim

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Jim is correct.My ex-wife had a large bubble I learned the hard way to stay clear of-----ouch......

Sorry to corupt your thread---I couldn't help myself

i have seen coho grab a minnow, crunch it and then spit it out. so set that hook!!

Cohos and Kings don't feed in stream. There's plenty of theories about why they bite. As other said, it's an aggrivated response to something entering their bubble. Some fish will bite out of instinct. It really depends on the timing. That's why people fish different patterns. Some days the "attractors" will grab attention, other days it will be the "simulators". what I've been told about salmon biting eggs is more of a survival response than eating. Salmon will crush other eggs in their mouth to reduce the competition for their off-spring.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

for the fish that wont bite how do you catch them? Last year i was flipping about 10 different patterns at chums and pinks and the only on i caught was a pink and i lined it. Any good last resort patterns?

I have seen pinks and silvers chasing leeches. dont know if they were feeding, but seems like they were

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    for the fish that wont bite how do you catch them? Last year i was flipping about 10 different patterns at chums and pinks and the only on i caught was a pink and i lined it. Any good last resort patterns?
    I don't know of any last resort patterns, but you already know a last resort technique.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    for the fish that wont bite how do you catch them?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    That appears to be a pretty effective pattern!!

that kinda looks illegal if you ask me :P

Not if you're standing at the hatchery in Juneau (where that picture was taken).
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Not if you're standing at the hatchery in Juneau (where that picture was taken).
    ... you're ruining all my fun!!!

nobody really knows why salmon bite in freshwater. I suspect its a defense mechanism, or perhaps curiosity. I think fish sometimes wonder what something is so they will put it in their mouth, such as we'd pick up something remember their mouths are their hands. Close to the ocean its often a feeding response.

Sockeye definately bite, absolutely I've seen them chase flies. Its just they eat plankton and are filter feeders in the ocean so they aren't as aggressive
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've got to agree with Monkey on this (did I actually say that??); sockeyes WILL strike a fly or bead. It seems to happen most when they are actively spawning or just before spawning. I've caught them on streamers & beads quite often.
    Getting other salmon to "hit" a fly usually involves the amount of fishing pressure the fish have received prior to seeing your fly. Fish that have run a gauntlet of fishermen & lures can be very lure/fly shy and will usually veer out of the way of a lure/fly. Fish that haven't been pounded are much more apt to hit a fly.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    nobody really knows why salmon bite in freshwater. I suspect its a defense mechanism, or perhaps curiosity. I think fish sometimes wonder what something is so they will put it in their mouth, such as we'd pick up something remember their mouths are their hands. Close to the ocean its often a feeding response.

Sockeye definately bite, absolutely I've seen them chase flies. Its just they eat plankton and are filter feeders in the ocean so they aren't as aggressive
    I've watched sockeye chase my flies for almost thierty years, they do bite. Get some comets and crazy charlies.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Sockeye will hit a fly if you give it some work and not accept the status qou

The big thing in rivers i have found is that they will not really hit on the dead drift.... they are much more apt to hit a fly swung 2 to 3 feet in front of them so a classic wet fly swing is the way to go. After that they will hit all sorts of flies as long as they are small.... technique is more important imo. Also look for happy fish that are holding and porposing. I only see this out of fish that are not being harrased and haven't been for a while so avoiding the crowds is half the battle

If you really want to see them crush a fly try stripping in a fushia bunny fly in the lakes.... that is my best and most consistent method of getting reds legit. Another way is to fish unweighted white wooly buggers... not as consisent as the bunny fly but when it works it slays.... fish will always hit the fly as it's sinking