Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UNIT 13 losing another 44000 acres to a native entity

Default UNIT 13 losing another 44000 acres to a native entity

or should I say congratulations to "a certain native entity" and the shareholders for aquiring 44000 acres right on the Highway .. Im sure you will keep all those trap lines accessable and the trails to crosswinds lake maintained.. I can only imagine all the moose that are going to lay and frolic in the fields after you strip the land. congratulations on another ethical and moral business decision..

The chitna area will be a hard loss, I'm sure the natives there will get over the fact that their land was traded out of under them with no notification..Ohh well... on to the next alaskan adventure ... just not on Ahtna land

Yes folks the problem I have is the fact that Chitna is "heritage" land.. and they are trading it for business purposes...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Kyle, just what are you talking about here, got a link or more info?

well, BR the state is trading 44000 acres to a native entity and receiving 14000 acres in return.. the 44000 acres are represented in a map on the dip netting thread. The native entity is giving the o'brian creek area to the state in return... this is just information that WILL AFFECT the HUNTING and FISHING community .... (and yet no one knows about it..) (shhhhh).... there was an informational meeting tonight about it ... it wasnt an input meeting.. it was informational with no good information provided.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY...

Everyone remains silent until....their own backyard is affected!!! Suck it up Buttercup...get in line...behind the rest of us that have been aced out previously. LOL...just what we needed...I just love the signs they put up...sorta like a IN YOUR FACE BUDDY BOY daily reminder deal...You guys are gonna too.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Ahtna has these $50 access permits that allow you to go on their land with the exception of bison where they have a different access permit. It will be interesting if Ahtna exchanges some of their land in unit 11. There could be a huge upside for sport hunters.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

$50 to access, but not to hunt. No small game hunting even.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY...

Everyone remains silent until....their own backyard is affected!!! Suck it up Buttercup...get in line...behind the rest of us that have been aced out previously. LOL...just what we needed...I just love the signs they put up...sorta like a IN YOUR FACE BUDDY BOY daily reminder deal...You guys are gonna too.
    Now that's funny. We had a rather long discussion on this forum about property rights and who does dilgence on where they hunt, and who doesn't. I was appalled by the responses by some dimwits who do absolutely no diligence and said "if it ain't clearly marked as private, then I assume its open".
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Now that's funny. We had a rather long discussion on this forum about property rights and who does dilgence on where they hunt, and who doesn't. I was appalled by the responses by some dimwits who do absolutely no diligence and said "if it ain't clearly marked as private, then I assume its open".
    Do you also recall those same "dimwits" stating they will honor properly posted private property rights? Like Tundra Lillies...the signs, you eventually become immune to their presence...sure leaves a lasting impression on the tourists though!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    $50 to access, but not to hunt. No small game hunting even.
    Almost but not entirely true...The Ahtna Corp will allow you to perform predator control on their property for an additional fee....Sorta kinda Hunting...I guess.

The most tragic fallicy of the whole deal, is loss of access to public lands beyond the scope of signs....and trails they have historical use....officially undocumented, because the State of Alaska and The Feds can't come to agreement on defining those trails, or money to pay for the surveys...(frowny face inserted here)
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Vote........Vote..........Vote with your two feet. Buy land for your children. Buy land "in" the National Forests.

Any land with easy access via boat or car gets turned into native land sooner or later. Just a fact of life.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Any land with easy access via boat or car gets turned into native land sooner or later. Just a fact of life.
    With all due respect, that is not a valid conclusion. All you need to do is own land with-in a National Park or a National Forest. The longer you wait the more expensive it is.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    With all due respect, that is not a valid conclusion. All you need to do is own land with-in a National Park or a National Forest. The longer you wait the more expensive it is.
    Or...marry into the clan...I would sooner do that, than sleep next to a Fed.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Angry

Yeah, I couldnt find the map, but that does sound like a ****ty trade for some dip netting land. I sure wish the state would buy back some of the land though because in state with few roads losing such vast tracks of accessable hunting land to private corporations is raw. We have this in Kenai when Kenaitzie roaped off two popular moose hunting areas close to town as their private preserve. Fortunately its not nearly as large as the Ahtna empire and doesnt block much road access like all of theirs did.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Yeah, I couldnt find the map, but that does sound like a ****ty trade for some dip netting land. I sure wish the state would buy back some of the land though because in state with few roads losing such vast tracks of accessable hunting land to private corporations is raw. We have this in Kenai when Kenaitzie roaped off two popular moose hunting areas close to town as their private preserve. Fortunately its not nearly as large as the Ahtna empire and doesnt block much road access like all of theirs did.
    It's the game that's been played for years. Look along the Yukon river, lots of native land right along the banks, denying access to everyone else, they tried getting the entire Koyukuk system as native land several years ago, but lost in court. Unit 13 is much of the same. Lots of native land along the parks, Denali and Glenn highways and the major waterways there as well. You can look on AHTNA's website for maps marking their land.

Tyonek native corp. tried obtaining land from the superior strip over in Beluga and north of that, which would have eliminated a HUGE area for the average joe to hunt/fish/whatever on. State gave em one whole side of the Chuitna river and all they can do is squeal about how they wanted the whole thing, from the pipeline trail down. Thankfully they were denied this claim, and there is still some great fishing to be had over there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I am tired of it and getting old and grouchy. I'm married to an "Alaskan Native". Proud of it and glad she would have me. How much land does a group need? Well ya got me on that one. How ever, I do recognize good old human greed when I see it. For some reason it has become the norm us of European ancestry to be viewed as the only greedy ones, the prejudice ones and the exploiters. Like we were the only group that ever came in and said "move over, I want some". How many Alaskan Native Indians and Eskimos fought, killed and stole from each other before the "white man" arrived. Did they then turn around and say, "gosh, I'm sorry for doing what you were doing before I got here". We are the only group I know of that tried to rectify some of our past wrongs. We gave money, millions and more millions and more millions. Built schools, hospitals, housing, relocated villages, financed projects, gave hiring preferences, granted special considerations to Native Corporations for construction bids, etc. So for the last 30 years we been saying "this land is yours", take more of it, we have no right to be here, sorry we bothered you. Lets not forget Russia. Go ask them for some compensation for what they did when they "owned Alaska". If they didn't own it then who tried to stop them from selling it. My wife and I are glad the good old U.S. bought Alaska. Imagine what Alaska would be like if Russia still owned it. Maybe it is time for a special group of entitled Alaskan's to say "thank you" and welcome!

I guess the problem I have is not the giving of land, but the actual land they usually get . If they are entitled to some land, fine give them a block of land not a thin strip along a river or the ocean thats a half mile wide and 200 miles long. Its obvious to me that they pick and choose land for the sole purpose of shutting somebody else out of public land. Seems like we are painting ourselves into a corner.

even up here in the arctic much of the river corridors are private native owned with no access points to get through to public land. Granted most people if you ask would most likely let you through their property and posted signs are rare and most are friendly enough. There are many miles of river that the private property extends back only a couple hundred feet from the river but legally blocks off access to thousands of acres of public land. Kind of a sad deal.

You can blame native corporations for asking, but then you should probably also blame the government for giving it to them.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

It's kinda sad really how this has progressed into mostly anti-Native themes. "Them" and "they" and broad (and false) assumptions about Natives as a "group."

So many biases, so little real understanding.

In this case, it appears the state (after certain influential groups and pols pushed hard enough) determined that it needed a certain tract of privately owned lands, and negotiated a land swap/trade in order to get them. Some don't like the trade. I am one of those people. Certainly think the public should have been more involved in the overall process, truly sucks it comes as a surprise.

But scapegoating Natives or Native corps over this, which is what is happening on this thread now...well that may be the typical direction these things go but man it sure doesn't match reality. If you're really looking for someone or some entity to blame, keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    It's kinda sad really how this has progressed into mostly anti-Native themes. "Them" and "they" and broad (and false) assumptions about Natives as a "group."

So many biases, so little real understanding.

In this case, it appears the state (after certain influential groups and pols pushed hard enough) determined that it needed a certain tract of privately owned lands, and negotiated a land swap/trade in order to get them. Some don't like the trade. I am one of those people. Certainly think the public should have been more involved in the overall process, truly sucks it comes as a surprise.

But scapegoating Natives or Native corps over this, which is what is happening on this thread now...well that may be the typical direction these things go but man it sure doesn't match reality. If you're really looking for someone or some entity to blame, keep looking.

Even shareholders call the Corp they. Non-shareholders be they every race including native see no tresspassing signs with only native corp or government names on them. Most of the time this land is along highways and rivers with most just blocking access to more useable land. They (government or native Corps) fight tooth and nail to keep the underclass off their land or even to cross it on easments. You wonder why these threads or government threads go the way they go. I don't aggree with many statements but I see where the frustration comes from.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast