Thread: First time boater asks stupid question: do I need special boat shoes?

Question First time boater asks stupid question: do I need special boat shoes?

Hi all. I don't know anything about boats, boating or being on water, so please bare with me. My brother-n-law has invited me to join him on a week long sailing trip and I don't know what I should get. Do I need any kind of special boat shoes? A friend told me that they're worth getting for walking on deck. I'm thinking of getting this pair. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thx.

Extra-toughs...

Last time I wore sneekers on a fishing trip, wife had to wash the shoes, should have worn my extra tuff's, only downside is that they do not let your feet, lower legs breath, at the end of a trip it sure feels good to take them off.

AIH has them.

+1 xtra tufs. Get the felt insoles and consider the steel toe ones. I love mine and even wear them in the yard on wet days.

Savvyninja - Don't let these guys jerk you around with their hullabaloo about xtra tufs. The saltiest sailors understand how critical it is to invest in the right footware, especially for sailing excursions lasting more than a couple of days. DO NOT skimp or settle for less than the most specialized footware. Most experienced Alaskan mariners go with these:

http://www.discountdance.com/dancewe...&SID=261740423

Quote Originally Posted by savvyninja View Post
    ...please bare with me.
    I don't know what you look like naked, but speaking for myself; nobody wants to see that!

Ok seriously. You said "sailing trip"; if thats literally the case, you are best to ask your brother-in-law what he recommends for use aboard his sailboat...

If not a sailboat, your brother-in-law is still a good source for education. He should be able to recommend appropriate footwear for the activities you'll be undertaking during the week.

Be safe, have fun.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/multi-sport/fishermans-moc.html

Y
    ou can find these @ B&J's here in ANC i have a pair and i love them, water proof, comfortable and do great on a wet/slippery deck.

If you are actually going on a sailboat and it's a white fiberglass hull, then try to get shoes that have non-marking soles (preferably not black). I was recently taking a sailing course and that was a prerequisite. I ended up wearing my running shoes and they worked just fine if it doesn't rain, had my regular rubber fishing boots as a backup with me in case of wet weather.
    Also make sure that the shoes are not very slippery, it sucks walking around the deck sliding around when the boat is heeled.
    I was actually walking on deck barefoot when the sun was out and it was very hot (doesn't happen too often around here).

Since you are a savyninja, I would suggest you ignore these fellows with all their seemingly practical advice and get a cool pair of those shoes with the little LEDs in the soles and wheels in the heels. The LEDs are handy at night, and the wheels let you scoot all around the deck with out catching your toes on all the dang non-skid and diamond plate.

+1 for the xtra-tuff. Seriously, here is what I would like to use as a deck shoe. Or, you could just roll the tops of a full length boot down but caution, that will eventually wear out the rubber at the back of the ankle.

http://www.xtratufboots.com/products...es/22170G.aspx
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

Quote Originally Posted by ksbha4 View Post
    +1 for the xtra-tuff. Seriously, here is what I would like to use as a deck shoe. Or, you could just roll the tops of a full length boot down but caution, that will eventually wear out the rubber at the back of the ankle.

http://www.xtratufboots.com/products...es/22170G.aspx
    Sure wish they made those Xtra tuff slippers in size 15... I would love me some of those.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson