Thread: Trapping plane

Default Trapping plane

Hello. i'm looking for info and opinions on the best plane for winter skis and floats on smaller ponds ,lakes. I'm looking at a murphy rebel , realy intrested in it and its on floats 160HP. I'm 220 #. Gonna do some trapping here in Maine just wanted some info on those who know. Thanx alot for any ideas and help.

How much money do you have?

The supercub seems to be the easy choice if you can afford it. Around here, anyway.

I dont want to spend more than 50k and around here that only gets me a SC wiyh 115 HP. and that was a Ontario plane.

Quote Originally Posted by madtrapper47 View Post
    I dont want to spend more than 50k and around here that only gets me a SC wiyh 115 HP. and that was a Ontario plane.
    Odd - - - - - I thought Super Cubs began at 125 hp. Still, the Super Cub is your best bet for those activities you are planning.

Ive seen 2 1953,1954 PA-18 105S 115 HP 235Lyc. Just not a nough HP. I'll keep looking but they seem to a cult following to them. Also eyeballing a 66 Maule 210c with 31 in rubber. Asking 45000.

You might be able to find a decent pa-12 in your price range. Lots of guys putting 150hp up front and flaps. If I was just looking for a plane for personal use I would defenantly go the experimental route. Easier to work on, easier to put on mods.

Just my $.02

That Maule is only worth low thirty's, saw one sell last winter down there for 35 low time and well equipt.'ed. The Continental engine kills the price and you can't convert them to the IO 540 for what you can buy one with it. A factory guy told me to stay away from it. Thats all I know about them, never owned one or flew one. Had two pacers, one W/ 160hp which is a maule at half throtle. I'd stay away from the home builts, had one, you don't save anything. The SC is going to be the best for light wt. if you are going to fly in loose snow, the one eighty for wt. My guess only and you have to pay for it and fly it. I think they did make a 90hp SC at one time. Call Scott Prescott @ Scootair, Northern lights airport, just north of BTV on one of the islands. He has a line on whats avail. in your area and is a wealth of knowledge. Tom

AKHUNTER, we post at the same time, didn't mean to conterdict you on the home built. I meant that if he were looking to save money the home built is still expensive. I agree with you on mods and maintenance, much easier. I had a Compair 7, it was the wrong plane for me, too heavy and expensive to build.

I almost bght a 100+ hr Bearhawk. Good performer Kit plane.

Talked a lot with a guy that flies an ultralight type plane and a Murphy on/off a lake north of Vancouver, BC. He loves his Rebel. Well designed aircraft afaiact..

If you get a Murphy thats been taken care off you'll do well.

RR

I have a 1977 Arctic Tern (160hp) similar to a cub I am selling. listed on ALaskas list, anchorage.craigslist.org and barnstormers.com

Back in from sea again ,well the murphy is sold. Did find a P/A 12 for 45000 asking 0290 with 1400 edos and skis. Also found a nice clean P/A 18 c-95 any one know anything about this p/a 18? No flaps but really clean. Is it enough hp for winter skis on lakes and could it do ok with floats? What size could it take? Also what mods would you sugjest for the 18. Thanx again.

If you're thinking of buying a plane with the intention of adding mods? Save yourself the time and trouble and buy a plane that's already equipped as you want. You'll save lots of time and money in the long run.

If you buy a $50K Cub and spend $50K on mods you end up with a $75K Cub. That's the truth.

you really need to run over to Northern Lights Airport just north of BTV on one of the islands. Scott Prescott has a 95 HP SC there and is a wealth of knowledge on light aircraft. He's been flying since he's been a little kid and has flown everything you can think of. Tell him I said hello. His Bussiness name is Scotair inc.. Tom

Mr. Pid is right about spending more money initially. I have done it both ways with Super Cubs. There is no doubt that buying what you want/need up front is much more beneficial financially.

I would stay away from O-290's. Parts (especially cylinders) are hard to find and very expensive!