Thread: Bird Creek

Default Bird Creek

Have been here over a year but just now getting out to get some fishing in.....I know its horrible but it is what it is.

Want to get my 6 year old out and into some fish and was thinking about hitting up Bird Creek tomorrow.....any pointers?

Dont want the family secrets just looking to get a fighting fish on the hook for him if possible.

Also heading down to the Kenai this weekend an trying our luck their again.....

its pretty easy to floss chums and pinks near the wire. the fish prob wont be super fresh but your little guy will enjoy them

When the pinks are nice and fresh like now a #5 pixie in chartrues or pink is hard to beat. Cast it a bit up stream from you and reel it in just fast enough to keep it from hanging up on the bottom, often when the current is fast you barely have to reel and the blade will spin like mad on its own. When they hit it, it will often just stop, some times they'll hit it and run.

If you've flipped for reds you can do basically the same thing with a really bright pink or chartruse Coho Fly or Flash flies and they will smack that too.

Last rig which IS my secret for Kenai pinks, STOP LAUGHING, seriously though, makes it really easy for kids to catch:
    Tie up a 3/0 octopus hook (or buy pre-tied) and thread on a large pink spin-n-glow, one with the shiny hologram wings. Cut the leader down to about 2-2.5' and pinch on a few split shot. Cast that slightly up stream and drift it down stream. You can do that with or without eggs. The pinks will slam that and so will an occasional silver.

Good luck! Post pictures!

Smile Tips and Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    When the pinks are nice and fresh like now a #5 pixie in chartrues or pink is hard to beat. Cast it a bit up stream from you and reel it in just fast enough to keep it from hanging up on the bottom, often when the current is fast you barely have to reel and the blade will spin like mad on its own. When they hit it, it will often just stop, some times they'll hit it and run.

If you've flipped for reds you can do basically the same thing with a really bright pink or chartruse Coho Fly or Flash flies and they will smack that too.

Last rig which IS my secret for Kenai pinks, STOP LAUGHING, seriously though, makes it really easy for kids to catch:
    Tie up a 3/0 octopus hook (or buy pre-tied) and thread on a large pink spin-n-glow, one with the shiny hologram wings. Cut the leader down to about 2-2.5' and pinch on a few split shot. Cast that slightly up stream and drift it down stream. You can do that with or without eggs. The pinks will slam that and so will an occasional silver.

Good luck! Post pictures!
    Thanks for the tips and techniques. I've been chunking and winding a #4 vibrax at Bird and Glacier this week, but have yet to hook up. I got a couple pixies and will give those a fling on the next trip.

You probably need to slow down your retrieve a bunch and cast a bit further up stream. If your not loosing one every now and then your not fishing deep enough, at least untill you get the feel for it. If your up off the bottom they generall with let it go right over their heads un-touched, particularly in faster water.

Try some of the bigger vibrax too, I use #5s and #6s regularly. I think the extra weight makes the difference. There is also a couple new spinners out that are much heaver, another version of Vibrax and Mepps maybe, can't quite remember the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by fishr3 View Post
    Thanks for the tips and techniques. I've been chunking and winding a #4 vibrax at Bird and Glacier this week, but have yet to hook up. I got a couple pixies and will give those a fling on the next trip.
    Honestly a #4 Single hook with rainbow mix of chartruse and hot pink yarn tied to the egg loop works as well as anything else. Drift it down so it swirls into the eddies behind the bigger rocks. cheaper setup than pixies or vibrax too so you feel better about being a little more daring with the drift. (i.e. not worried about snaging so you are where you need to be)

Also use single hooks not trebles, cuts down on the snags and lost hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Honestly a #4 Single hook with rainbow mix of chartruse and hot pink yarn tied to the egg loop works as well as anything else. Drift it down so it swirls into the eddies behind the bigger rocks. cheaper setup than pixies or vibrax too so you feel better about being a little more daring with the drift. (i.e. not worried about snaging so you are where you need to be)

Also use single hooks not trebles, cuts down on the snags and lost hardware.
    Totally second that, that was the only way I fished back home, seems i've acclimated to the locals! Adding a small corkie will help keep your presentation just off the bottom too!

Thanks for all the tips.....we went out to try our luck and got there just before the tide started going out. Didnt get a hook up with the pixie.....but as soon as the current picked up was able to flip-n-drift a couple of silvers.....forgot the camera at home so no pics.

From what I could see PINK is the color that they were slamming......watched ppl dragging em in left and right from a deep hole.....next time gotta get there a little earlier and get in there!! LOL

#3 bleeder did good today

I will be fishing Bird Creek the first week in Aug. What is a good line: color, lbs test to use.
    Thanks in advance

Got a couple of Pinks of the incoming tide, hopefully will see more silvers soon!

photo.JPG

hows it doing down there? planning a trip for tomorrow. thanks!

if pinks is on your target list, go for it. there are a few silvers in there but the pinks pretty out match them 1 to 50 it seems like.

Any word on the Bird?

Went out tonight and did well, I caught one silver but the girlfriend went out for her first time and caught two. In addition, she was very proud of her chumdog millionaire!

chum.jpg