Thread: Boat trailer rebuild

Default Boat trailer rebuild

I just got my hands on a used 24' galvanized roller boat trailer... Seems that all 64 rollers are siezed and rusted out.

So I am in the middle of using my sawzall and hammer to break loose all the wheels. Each wheel has 2 washers that are rusted out and just crumble when hit by a hammer.

I have to buy plastic wheel inserts, galvanized 5/8 bolts, washers, and nuts... only there are not any 5/8" galvanized lock nuts in town so I have to use loctite or a loc washer. The alternative is a $3.95 stainless lock nut.

But to put things into perspective, a new boat trailer is $7-9 grand!

Lesson Learned: only buy used bunk trailers

Sobie2
    Attached Images Attached Images

why not just use a punch and smack a thread, locks in place, they don't offen get taken off anyway

Here is a wheel before (has no plastic insert and metal washers on either side with a 5/8" hole). After a hammer and screwdriver us used to demo and remove the rusty washer a new nylon wheel insert is put in the wheel.

Sobie2
    Attached Images Attached Images

I suggest you lube the sleeve/bolts with a good silicon grease, Dow Corning 111 for example. Highly water resistant and good to -40F up to 600F.

Distorting a few threads would work as suggested. also did you check AIH, Home Depot, Lowes, Fire and Fasteners for the hardware ?

What about just removing the roller assemblies and converting it to a bunk system?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

You could double nut them too if you have enough bolt - but bunging a thread after you put them on - work good for long time...... and is pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    What about just removing the roller assemblies and converting it to a bunk system?
    X2 ....Make it into a bunk trailer.