Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: claiming trapping land

Default claiming trapping land

I will start off by saying i am not a trapper (but would like to learn sometime). This past weekend i has out exploring on the steese hwy and seen a sign. I am paraphrasing here because i didnt right down exactly what it said. it said we trap mile 35 to mile 90 steese hwy there are no traps in main trail but every side trail, creek, river, and drainage is trapped please do not trap any of them areas. by my math if we are only talking 5 miles off the road 28800 acres of land. is it common for someone to claim that amount of public land for there use only. As i said i do not trapp and im not trying to be an ***** just wondering if thats common.

Matt

I don't care what anyone says, but NO ONE owns a trap-line in Alaska. But alot of people have been trapping areas for a long time and would prefer that no one steps on there toes. If somebody is trapping an area they know about what that area should produce every year, roughly. If some comes and traps on top of them, then they can put a hurtin' on the critters that takes a long time to recover. Its also just a matter of respecting some one's area that they're trapping.
    Earl

as i said im not a trapper and will not be stepping on there toes it just seemed like a huge area to claim

matt

How can you sell a trap line if you don't own it then?
    It was common for the trappers to sell the line when they got up in age.
    Not arguing, just wondering EB.
    BK

There aint enough road accesable public land for claiming land like that. My rule is, first to set steel during legal trapping season gets the territory.
    Ticks me off when I see pushups or what not with traps off to the side of them in July.

Let me guess, there were five names on the sign?

Those signs have been up for years and are meant to scare folks off. No one can claim public land as their own for trapping. Anyone can trap an area, but the general rule is first come, first serve. If it were one creek with a sign I would move on to somewhere else, but a few guys trying to lock up 60 miles of roadside is insane.

Bottom line- You can set up a trap line there if you want to and they cannot legally stop you from doing so.

As for people selling trap lines, what they are selling are the trapping gear and maybe a cabin. Unless the land is privately owned, there is no land transfer in a trap line sale. Many times the trap line has been established for years and no one else bothers with the area out of respect, but the land itself is not part of the sale price.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I know a few trappers that have been in their areas for years. Only a fool would try to ride herd on them.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

That,,, first to set steel gets it is wrong... Most guys been trapping a trail,drainage,lake system,ect...ect... for 30 years a TRAPPER would never just move in on someone... May I suggest joining the Alaska Trappers Association or any other local trappers association. They will be able to answer any question like this. No trapper would move in on another trappers line the problem I see latey is people trapping that aren't trappers if you know what I mean... LIFE MEMBER #100 A.T.A.

The first to set steel is horribly wrong. Trappers tend to have more respect for one another in general there are always the exceptions think obviously. If a area is known trapping area go somewhere else period. As far as a 60+ mile stretch is just insane especially this Close to town. I know people with 100 mile long lines but that is in the bush and have been estaished for decades. Once the season starts it will be pretty obvious where there is or isn't A line. Most people put up signs out of courtesy but is not required. If there is a sign and it looks new move on. There are always going to be people setting up on top of each other near town the further you get the less people there will be. I second the ATA join they have info as to where people trap so you know where to stay away from.

I had trapped an area locally for several years and then had a local/aod member say I couldn't because it was all claimed by her, then had a mod add a sticky acting like everything locally was off limits. At that I will not trap the area because of the crap I got from members here, but I also will not do anything for any of those individuals. They need to understand it is PUBLIC ground for all to use I wouldn't have set traps on top of them but there is a lot of ground that is out there for the public to use. And to that person if I do decide to trap the area again I will and thats just how it is
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

It's called hind tit for a reason.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    It's called hind tit for a reason.
    is that where you were fed as a child? now we know the rest of the story
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    The first to set steel is horribly wrong. Trappers tend to have more respect for one another in general there are always the exceptions think obviously. If a area is known trapping area go somewhere else period. As far as a 60+ mile stretch is just insane especially this Close to town. I know people with 100 mile long lines but that is in the bush and have been estaished for decades. Once the season starts it will be pretty obvious where there is or isn't A line. Most people put up signs out of courtesy but is not required. If there is a sign and it looks new move on. There are always going to be people setting up on top of each other near town the further you get the less people there will be. I second the ATA join they have info as to where people trap so you know where to stay away from.
    And how am I supposed to know that it is a Known trapping area? By a sign claiming the land? Public land is public land. First to set steel is the most obvious form of compromise I can see. My respect will extend that far. Trapping gets no special rights as far as I can see. Its no different then me moose hunting. I cant tell someone not to hunt in my area cause I was there 20 years ago. I cant tell someone not to fish the kenai cause i was there first. You know why I cant. Cause it isnt my private land!

Buying a trap line generally means rights to a cabin, the actual traps/gear (sometimes a snow machine), and the knowledge/records/history of catch for that line. It does not mean you are buying land.
    As for road trapping, I have posted this in the past……..
    ATA Trappers manual, page 11.
    "One mile from either side of the public road system is considered open area and belongs to everyone. Beaver ponds are the only exception........"
    http://www.alaskatrappers.org/code_of_ethics.html
    Although most trap lines are on public ground, with no land rights going to the trapper, you should be respectful. People have put blood, sweat, tears, and years into maintaining, and creating their trap line. How would you like it if you put that much effort into something for someone to come along and take over the area? Whatever happened to respect and common courtesy?

I do find it a bit ironic that some guy who erects, and leaves, a metal shack in a tree on public land then snivels when others use it, is the same windbag who sees nothing wrong with running his traps within 10 feet of another Trappers sets on an established and long used trail.

Some people's kids I s'pose.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    And how am I supposed to know that it is a Known trapping area? By a sign claiming the land? Public land is public land. First to set steel is the most obvious form of compromise I can see. My respect will extend that far. Trapping gets no special rights as far as I can see. Its no different then me moose hunting. I cant tell someone not to hunt in my area cause I was there 20 years ago. I cant tell someone not to fish the kenai cause i was there first. You know why I cant. Cause it isnt my private land!
    Once the season starts you will know if it is being trapped and if it has been trapped the trapper will generally try to let you know via a note or something near one of your sets. It is called courtesy. Like I said MOST trappers generally are more mature And have higher morals and ethics but obviously there are some(you) who do not. Especially when many trappers the fur they bring home in the winter is their only source of income or a large part of it for that part of the year so if you are ok messing with peoples lively hood then more power to you I guess... So yes it is public land and you can trap on top of someone legally but MOST peoples conscious should tell them to move on.

Like I said earlier, if you come to a creek and it is being trapped, then move on and find a spot that is open.

The original question was is it ok to try and claim 60 miles of roadside as your trapping area? I would say no. I doubt every creek and trail in that 60 miles is being worked by the guys who are trying to lay claim to it. If you find a creek in that area that is not being trapped, then I would consider it open to any trapper who wanted to give it a try.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I agree on that a 60 mile stretch is way too large that is when you leave a note and try to work out some boundaries. 9 times out of 10 you can work something out but that requires effort and acting like an adult which some people obviously can't do. It Also depends on species targeted of you come across a line that is all marten sets i am sure they won't mind you targeting fox or lynx in the same area but of course i would still talk to the person because there may be a reason they aren't targeting a certain species such as a Down year or decline in populations and if a trapper has been in an area for a while they will know the population trends. If you put a hurting on a species and it is already a Down year it may take a LONG time time to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I do find it a bit ironic that some guy who erects, and leaves, a metal shack in a tree on public land then snivels when others use it, is the same windbag who sees nothing wrong with running his traps within 10 feet of another Trappers sets on an established and long used trail.

Some people's kids I s'pose.....
    you definatly have a liberals mentality just cuz it's there doesn't give you the right to use it,
    and trapping the houston area is open to everyone, I though wouldn't set on top of someone, and would hope the same from them. I unlike you treat others with RESPECT
    Μολών λαβέ

Ironartist I don't even know why I give you the time of day. However, if I ever told you you could not trap somewhere I'd like to see it quoted, word for word. If anything it might have been a little tongue in cheek humor as I do with all "the guys"....I also find it rather ironic that you, the very same man who was whining about someone using his moose stand that was located on public lands, would sit here and only tell half truths about a subject that most ethical trappers are sensitive about. As you said yourself, there is a lot of area out there. However, there are a few of us out there, not just "me"..... So you would not only be trapping on top of us, you'd be trapping on top of two other people in the same area.
    By the way, if you are referring to the incident where my husband and I took the time to leave you and your buddy a note with our names and phone numbers on a set where you or your buddy so kindly walked over the top of our set to not only set on the same ridge-line, but to set within 10 feet of our snares and cutting down live tree's to make a cubby, then you need to tell the whole story. Most real men I know, don't call another man and come to an agreement (As I recall it was something along the lines to my husband agreeing you trapping one side, while we trapped the other was not a problem) and then come on the internet only to bad mouth the very folks who took the time to even talk to you guys......You preach about respect? Why don't you give it? Respectful men don't jab the others in the back when they aren't looking.
    I don't care where you trap as long as you are ethical about it, don't trap on top of me, clean up your mess and don't trap on the trail so that I get blamed for it....(Since everyone around here knows we have trapped that area for the last 10 years, they ALL come to us when there is a problem)...

To be honest, I don't know how you'd get anyone to share an area with you with the attitude you have about the whole thing. There's no telling what you'd do in person if you are this ugly on the internet.

PS: When we set up originally 10 years ago, there was no one trapping there. How come in the 10 years we have been in this area, we only had a problem 3 years ago when you popped in and nothing since? (Meaning 7 years came and went without any problems out there)......Come on now.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast