Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to launch @ POA and run to the mouth of the Kenai

Default Possible to launch @ POA and run to the mouth of the Kenai

Hate traffic, anyone ever launch from the Port (ANC) and ride a tide to the mouth of the Kenai and then ride a tide back up... From my best estimate on google earth looks to be about 75+/- miles?

You must really hate traffic. You are going to burn a whole bunch of fuel. That is without saying that upper cook inlet can get real nasty.

2mpg at 180 miles is 90 gallons of fuel - boats run farther than that out of whittier and seward to get to the gulf south of Montague.

Can it be done - sure - with a 17th century sailboat with no power it can and was done.

I do not believe that a single tide will get you between the two points - tide lasts about 2 hours and runs maybe 4knots - that is about 8 miles - - you will need to use your motor. Hope that you have a good one. I am sure that it would be a nice ride if the weather is nice out - if not the ride would suck.

This was done once from Turnagain Arm by a guy in a drift boat, best I remember it took him eight days. Be sure to let your family and the Coast Guard what you're doing.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    You must really hate traffic. You are going to burn a whole bunch of fuel. That is without saying that upper cook inlet can get real nasty.

2mpg at 180 miles is 90 gallons of fuel - boats run farther than that out of whittier and seward to get to the gulf south of Montague.

Can it be done - sure - with a 17th century sailboat with no power it can and was done.

I do not believe that a single tide will get you between the two points - tide lasts about 2 hours and runs maybe 4knots - that is about 8 miles - - you will need to use your motor. Hope that you have a good one. I am sure that it would be a nice ride if the weather is nice out - if not the ride would suck.

I have a 2005 20ft NR seahawk with a 115 merc optimax saltwater... Ran to patton bay from wittier last weekend 200 + miles used about 45 gallons thats with trolling around and messing with the shrimp pots. I burn just under 4 gallons/hr @ 4000rpm cruzing 30mph. The tide runs more like 5 hrs out so if i leave @ high water i figure i would be there in 2.5hrs. It would be quicker then driving and not much more fuel. I know the port launch closes @ 11pm i was looking for information from anyone that has made the trip. Of course i would watch the weather.

So if anyone that reads this and has made the trip or something close to it i would appreciate any usable comments...

For some reason cant add a photo here is a link to my facebook with a photo when i jumped my buddies wake @ 40mph
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Furthest I have been is the big sue (in my 1986 16' zodiac GRIII w/ a 40hp 1985 zuki prop) :-)

Make sure that you put in and out within about 2 hours of high tide at ship. She gets a bit muddy at low tide.

You have pretty good fuel mileage - gopher it.

75 percent of the tide movement (according to USCG and NOAA) occurs in the first and last 25% of each tide....ie "slack" tide occurs when it shifts.

Some of the sand bars reach a ways out.

Let us know how your trip goes.

[QUOTE=Blood_Vessel;977837]I have a 2005 20ft NR seahawk with a 115 merc optimax saltwater... Ran to patton bay from wittier last weekend 200 + miles used about 45 gallons thats with trolling around and messing with the shrimp pots. I burn just under 4 gallons/hr @ 4000rpm cruzing 30mph. The tide runs more like 5 hrs out so if i leave @ high water i figure i would be there in 2.5hrs. It would be quicker then driving and not much more fuel. I know the port launch closes @ 11pm i was looking for information from anyone that has made the trip. Of course i would watch the weather.

So if anyone that reads this and has made the trip or something close to it i would appreciate any usable comments...

For some reason cant add a photo here is a link to my facebook with a photo when i jumped my buddies wake @ 40mph
    Boat_Jump.jpg

Had a friend run his Trolleycraft from the port to Homer a couple years ago. Don't remember the details but I do recall him saying "it sucked" for whatever reason.
    I say go for it.
    BK

the stupid silty water in uci sand-blasts the paint off my prop

It is good for cleaning the cooling system piping on 115 hp merc saltwater motors is what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    the stupid silty water in uci sand-blasts the paint off my prop
    Think of it as "polishing"...........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Many variables i imagine. Is it really worth it. what a bout finding a route up susitna river that sounds better.

Wow! You took that boat down, around, and up the back side of Montague to Patton Bay. Big stones, BV, big stones! I have made that run as well. Pretty cool geology on that side of the island and some fantastic fishing to boot!

I have heard that you can get into some pretty nasty tidal rips south of Fire Island. Pick your day, up your life insurance policy, make the trip, and post a report. All the silt ought to polish the bottom of your skiff right up. Cool avatar pic, by the way.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Flew over the Kenai River entrance the other day to see a commerical boat that was high and dry at the entrance. So if someone who is familar with running the area makes a mistake, that should be a good clue to find someone with good knowledge to teach me or to avoid the trek all together. That entrance at low tide is small!!!!! Very Small!!!!!!

There was a Trooper report for a rescue out Fire Island way last week for a small vessel grounding and in trouble. It was a recreational boat not commerical.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    This was done once from Turnagain Arm by a guy in a drift boat, best I remember it took him eight days. Be sure to let your family and the Coast Guard what you're doing.
    I remember that guy, launched up by Girdwood somewhere and was going to ride the tide out... .had to get rescued over by Hope as the tide had turned back around or something.... he was in a real bind.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I remember that guy, launched up by Girdwood somewhere and was going to ride the tide out... .had to get rescued over by Hope as the tide had turned back around or something.... he was in a real bind.
    There also has been one a few summers ago that didn't make it....tried to shortcut it to Hope.

A few years ago I was working on a project at the Drift river oil terminal on the west side of the inlet. They told me a story about a kayaker who had left anchorage destined for Homer or Seldovia.
    He ended up over at drift River and was wore out and they called him a plane to get home. The very next year about the same time they had the same guy return.
    He said he thought he was better prepared the second time. Fortunately it only cost him a $300 plane ride.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Wow! You took that boat down, around, and up the back side of Montague to Patton Bay. Big stones, BV, big stones! I have made that run as well. Pretty cool geology on that side of the island and some fantastic fishing to boot!

I have heard that you can get into some pretty nasty tidal rips south of Fire Island. Pick your day, up your life insurance policy, make the trip, and post a report. All the silt ought to polish the bottom of your skiff right up. Cool avatar pic, by the way.
    Well i was planning on trying the trip to go dippin but my buddy thats lives on the peninsula took me out on the River with his new willie predator and we got into some kings... I have made the trip to patton once, but i have been to hitchinbrook a few times and done pretty well i just watch my weather and if it looks like it might turn ugly we wont run that far... The boat has been great picked it up in April this year i love it when we make it out that far only to see 28ft plus boats and then there i am... I wont be making the run this year just surprised that there is not anyone who has done it before next year if the tides are right i think its gonna happen.

Hey the big boys do it so why not you. Run the shipping channel, but be prepared.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I have done the run over to the Little Sue in the past without incident. I was speaking with a fellow boater once that had a 28 ft boat and he told me that he had always wondered why no one boated out of Anchorage so he went out on a nice day, and it was great until he went south of Fire Island, where he encountered standing waves big enough that it took some time to find a place to turn around and he got out of there as quick as possible. Sorry it is a second hand story, but I haven't had the desire to go out and verify it.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I spoke to a guy who ran over to tyonek in a 24ft soft top and he said when he left the port it was a bath tub but on his way back it picked up so quick he could not out run it and ended up blowing a window out of the front and a guy on board hurt his back something fierce. I think out in the shipping lane, deeper water might help i figure that the skinnier the water more choppy although i would not want to be to far off shore if it kicked up. I'm also surprised alot more people don't launch with the longer range boats from ANC even to halibut fish on the south west side for a weekend trip that drive to the peninsula is about as dangerous as i figure the boat ride would be maybe worse with all the wrecks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast