Thread: What are some good areas to try for Rockfish and halibut out of PWS?

Default What are some good areas to try for Rockfish and halibut out of PWS?

Looking for a few places to try for ling, rockfish and halibut out of PWS.
    Any pointers would be great.
    Thanks

First, use the search function as there have been several threads in the past month or so that have info in them.

What port are you leaving from, Whittier, Valdez or Seward? If you want good fishing, then typically you're going to need to head to Montague, or well out into the sound. I've never experienced good fishing until well out into the middle of the sound. Yes, you can pick up occasional fish, but to head to an area that will get you onto fish, head well out into the sound and hit the pinnacles and cliffs. Bring extra jigs, you will loose some.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Rockfish can be found all over the Sound, especially where pinnacles rise out of the deep, like on the eastern side of Knight Island.
    Butt are a bit trickier to find. However, as Paul stated the fishing gets better the further south you go towards the gulf. Lings are the same scenario as butt, best bet is to go to the southern end of PWS.
    That said, we have caught all three fish you are seeking within an hour run from Whittier but lots of time invested soaking bait and enjoying the scenery. Use a chum bag on the anchor, bounce your jigs/weights off the bottom, do something to attract attention to your outfit and bring the fish to you.
    Silvers are moving in though.
    BK

Paul H,

How far is it from Wittier to the good fishing areas. My boat has an 80 gal fuel tank and I have a 225 Evinrude on it. The most I've taken it so far is about 20 miles out, so maybe a total round trip of 45 - 50 miles. Had plenty of fuel left.
    Last edited by Kyle Snider; 07-20-2011 at 19:57. Reason: Mre Info

Kyle,
    The south end of PWS from Whittier is roughly 80 miles.
    BK

BK,

BY the south end do you mean the southern point of Montague? I'm not really sure by looking at the Chart what would be considered the southern end. How far to Perry Island I guess would make it easier for me to relate distances?

Thanks,
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Snider View Post
    BK,

BY the south end do you mean the southern point of Montague? I'm not really sure by looking at the Chart what would be considered the southern end. How far to Perry Island I guess would make it easier for me to relate distances?

Thanks,
    Kyle
    Kyle, from Whittier to Perry Island (West Twin Bay) is about 24 miles