Thread: What is the latest you have dipnetted the Copper River?

Default What is the latest you have dipnetted the Copper River?

Has anyone dipnetted on the Copper River in September? The latest I have ever been down there was in the middle of August, and we did catch a couple silvers. I was just curious how late anyone has been down there, and if they caught any silvers??? I see the season is open until the end of September.

Also, does anyone know when they pull the sonar station/fish counter at Miles lake?

Thanks again,

Eric

Went Labor Day weekend 2007. Hardly anybody there, took a limit of big bright silvers in a couple hours dipping from the bank.

Dallas

I have dipped for silvers in September (and as another responder has noted - you are likely to haul 'em in). Somethings are real different in September down there: hardly anyone is there - it's deserted and it gets dark - fast - esp. if you are used to the June/July daylight hours - so plan accordingly (I was cleaning my fish by the single light off the cab of my pick-up with my back to Haley Creek...) Finally, I stopped fishing for silvers in September because I could no longer drive to the spot I like (since the slide). Now it's reds in July for me...although maybe it will be reds in August the way the counts are going.

Do the silvers run up the river any different than the reds do? Closer to the bank or farther away deeper etc. Just wondering if you have to change your technique at all.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

The latest I've gone was about mid september. But usually if I go for silvers it's very late august to first week of september. As others have said fishing is actually great. I usually limit out in a few hours, so the runs seem real steady. I will say that the silvers seem HUGE compared to the reds. Most of them are monsters, so get ready for the extra weight! I don't think they smoke nearly as well, but great for freezing or canning.

Ps. The dipping technique actually is the same. They seem to run exactly like the reds do.

Thanks everyone for your input. I might have time to get down there to finish off my permit.

Eric