Thread: Road to Shotgun Cove in Whittier

Default Road to Shotgun Cove in Whittier

I am sure you have noticed all the construction east of Whittier if you boat of out his port. I was curious, so I called the harbor for more information. They really could not tell me much, and referred me on to the city office, where I spoke to a nice lady about this project. I asked what the plans were for this, and she really did not know what would be done once the road was in place. She did offer that they will not be going all the way to Shotgun Cove, since there are some big ravines that they cannot get across. She said maybe they would be stopping at Emerald Cove.

She did say they were having a ribbon cutting today at 4pm and Don Young would be there for that.

She wanted to know who I was with, and why I was asking, and I said that I am a boater that has been waiting for many years for a slip and I was hoping that they would develop a harbor there so I could get a slip. Her response was for me to not hold my breath, and that she thought it would be at least 20 years before there was more harbor space.

I find it hard to believe that they are building this road with no plan or use, or even a sure destination for it, but then I remember that it is the government, and it kind of makes sense. If anyone has better or additional information, please post it. I would love some someone to attend the ribbon cutting cerebration and see if anyone has a plan for what they are trying to accomplish.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Remember, the more road they have in their jurisdiction; the more federal money they qualify for. The fact it go's no where does not matter!

Oh yea, watch for bike paths ON BOTH SIDES as well, this will really kick up the grant amount!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I am sure you have noticed all the construction east of Whittier if you boat of out his port. I was curious, so I called the harbor for more information. They really could not tell me much, and referred me on to the city office, where I spoke to a nice lady about this project. I asked what the plans were for this, and she really did not know what would be done once the road was in place. She did offer that they will not be going all the way to Shotgun Cove, since there are some big ravines that they cannot get across. She said maybe they would be stopping at Emerald Cove.

She did say they were having a ribbon cutting today at 4pm and Don Young would be there for that.

She wanted to know who I was with, and why I was asking, and I said that I am a boater that has been waiting for many years for a slip and I was hoping that they would develop a harbor there so I could get a slip. Her response was for me to not hold my breath, and that she thought it would be at least 20 years before there was more harbor space.

I find it hard to believe that they are building this road with no plan or use, or even a sure destination for it, but then I remember that it is the government, and it kind of makes sense. If anyone has better or additional information, please post it. I would love some someone to attend the ribbon cutting cerebration and see if anyone has a plan for what they are trying to accomplish.
    The original plan was to build a road to Shotgun Cove because the city owns +/- 190 acres there that they want to develop for housing + put in a boat launch for small craft but the city did not have enough money to build what their planners put out to bid.... so they are doing it in stages instead. Don't hold your breath sounds like pretty good advice!

Don't hold your breath is right that was only a 3 million dollar chunk of who knows how millions to even get to shotgun cove another road to nowhere And with the city of Whittier funding it will be even longer without government or state funding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know where they could find a bridge...
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Seems fitting to have half a road to a destination for a city that has half a tunnel.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I got a slip after the last harbor expansion in 1981 and remember talk about Shotgun Cove road and harbor back then. The native corp owns a bunch of land there too so maybe they can swing some federal grant money but I didn't hold my breath then and good reason not to now. BTW, a fellow boater told me back then they didn't name Shotgun Cove for the good rabbit hunting. It blows out of the head pretty good at times.