Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mrs. Alaska_Lanche leg update

Default Mrs. Alaska_Lanche leg update

As many of you know last October my wife took a spill on Kodiak and broke both bones in her lower left leg.

The story is here:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...s-in-a-Medevac

Some of you requested a progress report on her condition since and I have failed to do so but needless to say she is doing well even now its hard to believe she is just 9 months post break.

She's been pretty active between the following:

A mellow hunting trip via bikes for our anniversary in mid May

Able to take her first ever black bear near the end of May

In mid June she made a 7 mile slog through the swamps north of Trapper Creek w/ a 40 pound pack for a packrafting trip (that one taxed her healing leg a bit)

And just a few days ago we hit the mountains a bit with her packing a 45 pound pack around

We land in sheep country in just 18 days and even though she will only be 10 months post break we are hoping to have her be the first one between the two of us to bag a ram for the wall. Thanks to everyone that gave well wishes and prayers it certainly helped in the recovery process for her. And a special thanks to Steve for getting her off the mountain safely and helping her gain the confidence a bit that she still has what it takes to chase the critters. With a caribou, moose, sheep, and some deer with her name on it the next several months will be the true test.

Awesome! She is a trooper to say the least!

She's doing very well now, but at the ONE YEAR mark, it'll be like it never happened. Mine just stopped being any issue at all at the year mark.

Congrat's and have a great season!

Taylor

She's A Keeper!!!great update
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Good news, happy to hear her recovery is going so well. Good luck on the pending sheep hunt !

She is the kind of Lady that if you lived remote she would have thrown a splint on it and would still be doing well today in the bush
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Good to hear things are well, good luck on the upcomming hunts, I'd say she surley gets first shot on sheep this time.

Thanks for the update, Luke. Glad Becca is mending so well, looking fwd to trip reports and pics from the upcoming hunts.

Good news Luke.

I imagine Becca is glad to have full use of both legs as it undoubtedly makes kicking your ass much simpler....

<grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Are you sure she broke her legs?

I was wondering about this just the other day while reading a post of yours....

Great to hear she is recovering from such a dramatic and tramatic event. While the injury was both physically and mentally tough on her, I'm sure it was emotionally tramatic for you also.
    Stay active....and careful....'cause bad stuff happens fast.

AlaskaTrue/Dennis

I'm glad she is doing well. I broke my tib/fib in freshman football. I had a much longer recovery. By 9 months I was still in a cast. My leg healed fine but my knee has never been the same.

Good to hear she will be ready to go in 18 days. Look forward to reading this falls hunting trips.
    Luke, what brand are those yellow rafts in that photo?

Marc,

Yeah were are looking forward to the 1 year mark to see if there will only be scares and pics to remind us of the fall rather than an ache after a good day of hiking...we'll see I guess.

Hippie,

While it is simplier for her she was pretty good at it while on crutches too

KenMack,

Yeah pretty sure it was a break thus the rod and 3 bolts in the leg now.

Whitepalm,

Nope we didn't make it into town yesterday. We spent the day on the Little Su chasing salmon in the jet ranger.

KnikGlacier,

Those yellow rafts are older modeled Alpacka rafts.

I drew a DCUA late tag meaning my tag doesn't even start until August 26th so of course I won't be first shooter in a non-draw area. Besides I would give her the first shot anyways as she has earned it for sure.

Got a whole slew of hunting trips planned again in the upcoming months between 3 sheeps hunts, 2 caribou hunts, 2 moose hunts, a mountain goat hunt, a Kodiak Brown Bear/Deer hunt, and a SE AK deer hunt our slate if pretty full but we wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks again for all the encouraging words guys!!

Thewolfwatching

Amazing and beautiful lady you got there Luke.. Best wishes for a successful season and thereafter! Take care of her.. eh..

Glad to hear she's bouncing back and you guys have an active fall planned!

Best of luck.

ya i've met you...you married up for sure.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ya i've met you...you married up for sure.
    Thats putting it mildly!!!

Its great to hear Becca mended up well and has a full plate this fall wish the two of you the best of luck on your adventures and look forward to reading about them!

Luke, great to see you and Becca climbing together again. I hope she gets a Ram this season.

Good Luck Buddy!!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast