Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pinks for kids -- best spot?

Default pinks for kids -- best spot?

Taking a break from the sockeye madness this weekend to get my 4 y.o. daughter on the fish. Would like to take her out for pinks -- any recommendations on the best place to take a kid pink fishing, between Hope, Portage, Glacier Creek (Girdwood), etc.? Just looking for somewhere with fish coming in, and get her excited about angling somewhere besides the bath tub

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Normally i'd say Hope because the access is super good and people are usually really friendly down there, however I was there last weekend and it was a tad early, not sure if they've come in yet.

I was at Ingram creek this morning and the pinks are in down there. Not biting extremely well, but they seemed to like green and pink lures and flies the best. Lots of them hanging out under the bridge.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Bird Creek.

i take my boys to hope, you can stand on the bridge and stare at all the fish and see them when you fish from shore..couple spots they school up that you can hook fish all day if you can get the spot. its been getting busier every year....maybe because of the internet?!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I might be hesitant to have a 4 year old trying to cast into a stream around other fisherman....kids are adorable and all that, but if I had a little kid letting his lure or fly foul mine or casting across my line or being unable to fight a fish, I might not find it a pleasant time. I would offer the suggestion here that you could take your child to one of the stocked lakes and practice catching those little rainbows that love to eat salmon eggs...lots of fun, more room to yourself, good practice at reeling them in, and more in line with a small child's abilities. No reflection on your or anyone else's child. Just thinking of those who'd be there fishing alongside, and Hope tends to get pretty full of fishermen.

Default Kids okay

Bibico, it's people like you that really irk me. I'm sure you've caught your fair share of fish. Let someone else bring their kids in and get them hooked on fishing. When you're dead and gone this 4 y.o. will be the future of our sport. Be a gentleman and let the kid have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    Bibico, it's people like you that really irk me. I'm sure you've caught your fair share of fish. Let someone else bring their kids in and get them hooked on fishing. When you're dead and gone this 4 y.o. will be the future of our sport. Be a gentleman and let the kid have some fun.
    Word. Its not like a kid is going to be fishing there all day either. They are gonna fish for an hour or two and be gone. Ive personally fished next to some kids (although not as young as 4) and never get mad when we get crossed up (if I got hooked in the face that may be a different story though). While these fish are food for me this is mostly for recreation. Lets not lose sight of that. If Im out and see someone getting pissed at a kid for tangling there line Im probably just gonna tangle you to piss you off then cut your line.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Go to Hope and have a good time, MOST people there are very tolerant and encouraging to kids. If they don't like fishing with a lot of people then they should go fish as stocked lake for rainbows, I hear it's loads of fun.Just my nickel,DrewPS I'm taking my three year old to Hope this weekend.
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Thanks everyone! Sounds Hope is our best hope. And yeah, I don't think a 4 y.o. is gonna be standing in the river doing the kenai flip-and-floss for six hrs straight. Probably more like "fish" for 20 minutes and then run around watching everyone else. More interested in just getting her excited about the sport, hopefully see some fish caught etc.

Hopefully folks can be patient with kids fishing for PINKS ... if anyone is looking to just the fill the freezer there are about 2 million reds in the kenai right now ...

word. definitely hope. Limited out in a half hour but released them all. The only downside is that the current is extremely strong so dont let your child go too deep. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    I might be hesitant to have a 4 year old trying to cast into a stream around other fisherman....kids are adorable and all that, but if I had a little kid letting his lure or fly foul mine or casting across my line or being unable to fight a fish, I might not find it a pleasant time. I would offer the suggestion here that you could take your child to one of the stocked lakes and practice catching those little rainbows that love to eat salmon eggs...lots of fun, more room to yourself, good practice at reeling them in, and more in line with a small child's abilities. No reflection on your or anyone else's child. Just thinking of those who'd be there fishing alongside, and Hope tends to get pretty full of fishermen.
    Why don't you go someplace else where other people aren't bringing their kids? Don't get torqued at someone else trying to teach their kid how to catch a salmon. The kids have just as much right as you do being there. What's wrong with you man? Apparently you are out there all for yourself. Besides lake fishing is horrible in the middle of summer like this. Shame on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    Good for you Yellowstone. I wish more people were willing to take their little ones out fishing. It is what we need in today's technological world of ipods, cell phones and video games. I know my 4, 6, and 8 year old kids have caught more fish then a lot of grown men. Including salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by chumstik View Post
    Thanks everyone! Sounds Hope is our best hope. And yeah, I don't think a 4 y.o. is gonna be standing in the river doing the kenai flip-and-floss for six hrs straight. Probably more like "fish" for 20 minutes and then run around watching everyone else. More interested in just getting her excited about the sport, hopefully see some fish caught etc.

Hopefully folks can be patient with kids fishing for PINKS ... if anyone is looking to just the fill the freezer there are about 2 million reds in the kenai right now ...
    I'm really glad to see so many folks encouraging you to take your daughter to Hope. As I stated in my first post it is the IDEAL place to take a youngster. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. I agree a "serious" angler that has no time for kids, likely doesn't have time for pinks either.

Heck half the reason I like going to Hope is watching the kids. I usually end up helping several or their parents that don't know how to fish but made the effort to bring their kids out.

I applaud YOUR effort in spending time in the outdoors with your daughter, if we had more folks like you we'd have a much brighter future for both fishing and our society in general.

I appreciate everyone's input here and willingness to help the next generation out. It's never too early to get your kids hooked on the outdoors, away from tv's and the mall, and teach them to respect the abundance of resources we are still fortunate to enjoy here in Alaska.

I'm actually taking my boys to Hope tomorrow (it was a toss up between there and Valdez). I just moved up here from Utah and my boys are here with me for three weeks. We've never been salmon fishing but I've been fortunate to have a guy here at work that has given me some pointers. I am hoping that they catch a bunch of fish tomorrow just for the looks on their faces (I'll be happy with the photo memories and they'll be happy with the fish). Hopefully there are people like Limon32 down there to help us out if we're doing something wrong.

Hope should be a great choice if you are looking for a shorter drive. Throw a #3 vibrax at them and you should do very well!

Im sure you will ignore the post from Bibico as you should. I have a 7, 5, 3, and 2 year old. Guess what; I took them all to Hope over the last two days and they all caught fish. Without their lines or lures making anyones experience "unpleasant". Hell my kids caught more fish than anyone else I saw. Of course I was doing the hooking for the two babies and they reeled em in. My 2 yr old son reeled in an ocean bright 10lbs chum. It was awesome! Also in fishing at Hope for Pinks I as an angler would expect that I would be fishing alongside kids. The freaking place is easy to fish. The creek is 2 feet deep for cryin out loud!!! Plus there are thousands of fish and you can see everyone of them. There is no challenge whatsoever unless your new to the game. Geez in my opinion they should make it kids ONLY! Anyway, the pinks are in but the swarms hang out closer to the bridge since it's a bit early still.

It is a Lovely day in Hope, Alaska today, warm & sunny.

+1 for Lungshot and -2 for Bibico

WOW glad to see all the "go for it" mentality in taking the kiddos out. I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and have been scared to take them out and fish around the "big guns"......Im still very new at this so I too am intimidated to get out there as well (which is why I didnt fish at all last year) so that coupled with the kids still learning has kept us off the rivers and sticking to the little ponds and lakes.

But my kids LOVE fishing and I LOVE watching them fight the fish as well so may just have to take em out and have some fun......

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast