Thread: I Just Read a Book That has Resparked My Love of Alaska

Exclamation I Just Read a Book That has Resparked My Love of Alaska

I know this book has been mentioned a time or two around here before. I finally got around to picking this book up last week. As soon as I made it through the first chapter I was hooked. I couldn't stop reading!
    I have not partaken in a good book like this before. I am not the biggest reader out there, but this was purely just plain enjoyable. When I wasn't reading the book I was constantly thinking back on a story out of it from one of the latest chapters I burned through in no time. I hope this is the appropriate forum to post this in, I choosed the Hunting forum purely because I believe anyone who enjoys hunting in Alaska would enjoy this great book. I hate to sound like a sales man here but, for the few out there who haven't dedicated the time to read this book please do yourself a favor and pick it up.
    I will say, Frank Glaser is one Tough SOB. I have to believe everything he has said in this book. He lived an amazing life. One I wish I could have been given the opportunity to follow.
    Book: Alaska's Wolf Man
    By: Jim Rearden

Its one of the better reads out there for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Have read it four time! The wifes family homesteaded in Delta Junction and knew of Frank.
    Great book for all to read.

Well, gotta another to add to the Amazon cart...

Sorry, But I would not consider Frank a hunter first. I feel his love of exploring and being "Free" would be first, I would consider his passion for discovering the ways of nature and being a naturalist to be second. I feel that hunting was the income stream that supported his passion for wilderness and new firearms.

I would consider Frank a hunter first.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Great book indeed. One of the few I have read in just a sitting or two, just can't put it down. Truly a tough guy no doubt!!!

I always assumed that eveyone in the state has read that book lol! Great read for sure!

Loved it as well. Every idiot who thinks he can make it in Alaska should be required to read the entries about -40/-50/-60 degrees.
    Every smart guy should be required to read the same chapters. I felt I walked next to him on many cold nights.

yea that one is towards the top of my list read and reread it, also I enjoyed shadows on the koyukuk (spelling) and wind on the water

Frank has some great tricks on trapping fox and how about making a caribou sleeping bag because he was out a few months longer than expected with only his mid weight Filson's? The guy walked across most of the state and gee whizz... a 30.06 seemed to take everything including brown bear! It can't be!!

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Swede View Post
    yea that one is towards the top of my list read and reread it, also I enjoyed shadows on the koyukuk (spelling) and wind on the water
    Shadows is a great book as well. I also enjoyed One Mans Wilderness. In fact, my wife just bought me a huge book......More Readings From One Mans Wilderness: The journals of Richard L. Proenneke from 74-80. Almost 500 pages of goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    I also enjoyed One Mans Wilderness.
    classic~reading
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Just picked this up, thanks for the reviews!

Not much left to say 'cept "yup a good read". Enjoyed the book very much - he was quite the walker!!
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"