Thread: Wings and things

Default Wings and things

I have a 12 week old German shorthair,He`ll sit ,come, retrieve to hand (most times)and stay....ish.
    He`s a bit head strong,but pretty calm for the breed so I`m told( my first pointer )
    Now to the point of the thread..
    Not having a gun yet, I struggle to get a supply of bird wings, anyone know of anywhere to get some fairly cheap or even free ?
    He`ll find and retrieve the wing I have ..but to date his only point is a 2 second affair on a very fresh squirrel track in the garden
    I`m thinking fresh wings or even a dead bird would help spark " birdyness " in him,or maybe it just takes time?
    Also can anyone recommend a good pointer training book for the still wayyy too long nights up here.

Thanks

PS for general obedience I find it hard to beat a guy called Brian Plummer( now deceased )
    and his book "The New Complete Lurcher"
    Not sure if you have Lurchers over here,never seen or heard of anyone having them.
    Basically their a cross between a greyhound and usually a border collie, labrador or the like (3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie).They`re used to course rabbits,hares and foxes(I think it`s illegal up here anyway) But anyway a great read and some good
    advice on training any kind of pup,I could call my old dogs off mid-chase.

Good hunting all !

Default Pups & Training

There are a lot of books and videos out there. I have a few different ones, and I take a bit from each. A few examples are ;
    *Best Way to Train Your Gun Dog, The Delamar Smith Method written by Bill Tarrant (video collection by Delmar also)
    *Speed Train Your Bird Dog by Larry Mueller (good ideas, but speed training is not what you want)
    *The Silent Command System by Rick and Ron Smith (Delmar's sons)
    * George Hickox books and videos series
    * Bob Wehle's Wing & Shot
    Some of these are old but still great concepts...
    I personally have never used the wing. I try to get live birds as much as possible, wild ones are best.
    I also have homing pigeons that are nice tools. I have a few dead birds for retrieving in my freezer (quail and Chukars from the bird farm). Be happy to get together and share... send a PM if you want.

Sign up for the Arctic Bird dog club puppy class for pointers. They will have a live bird session. That made my dog super birdy. Nothing like a little live action to wake them up. You can also order quail from california. They are about 4 bucks a piece. I forgot the name of the hatchery though. One of the guys at the bird dog club can help you out with that.

I might be going ptarmigan hunting this weekend, Ill give you some wings if youd like.

Also I read in your other post about also using your GSP for rabbits. Dont do that. I have been bringing mine along with my beagle and its about ruined her. She loves chasing rabbits now. I have seen her stroll right past grouse cause she was busy sniffing for rabbits. And because shes a pointer, she doesnt bay nor run the rabbits a full circle. so now I got a non birdy half ass rabbit dog. I dont bird hunt much anymore so I let her continue on with it since its good excercise
    Last edited by rimfirematt; 03-13-2007 at 17:43.

Default second that...

I agree with rimfire...if you can get into the dog club, good. I have been a member for a couple years, but have not heard nor seen any classes.

I DOUBLE agree, if you want a bird dog, DO NOT let her run or fetch rabbits. One of my dogs will point them, if we are not haveing luck getting into birds. Bad habit!

I have a list of bird farms that I have found to order quail. You can search them on the internet also, but it is hard to get small quantiities of birds due to many of the bird farms sell to Game Preserves and trials. It can be done though. Quail are good starter birds for pups...

Default I third!!

No rabbits! I have two GSPs and the one thing I will not allow them to do is chase rabbits or even get excited about them. I immediately scold them and and move away from wherever there has been rabbits and then give them praise once we are away.

Find yourself some ptarmigan, dumb ass birds but they are great to train a pointer with. I have seen my male pointing a ptarmigan at less than a foot with either the bird or the dog making a move for several long minuets. My hunting partner was speechless.

Thanks for all the replies,maybe I wrote the other post wrong ,but I have no intention of hunting rabbits with him.I meant to write shooting rabbits with a .22 on my own.
    Great to know there is a lot of really good advice on here tho

Check out the Dog Whisperer videos. . . not related to hunting but good insights into the canine psyche. On DVD format. . . maybe Blockbuster. . .

Default Wings & Things

There are lots of folks around who will sell you pigeons for training. You can also usually find wings/tails from road kill if you keep your eyes open.

Also, there's no reason you can't train a dog to hunt both feathers and fur. Like any training, it takes work, but I can take my munsterlander in the woods and tell him "birds" or "rabbits" and he'll know what we're after. If he busts a rabbit when we're after birds, or vice versa, I just have to remind him. If you want a versatile dog, it's doable.
    Last edited by ironsights; 05-07-2007 at 22:08. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Sign up for the Arctic Bird dog club puppy class for pointers. They will have a live bird session. That made my dog super birdy. Nothing like a little live action to wake them up. You can also order quail from california. They are about 4 bucks a piece. I forgot the name of the hatchery though. One of the guys at the bird dog club can help you out with that.
    Matt - can you post a link or contact info for the Bird Dog puppy class you mention? -

Thanks in Advance -

Nate

Default wings - Ruff Grouse

I have some Ruff Grouse wings I can send you. Drop me a note @ mdotson2093@mindspring.com and I'll send a few.

Mike in Texas

Default 12 week old

Try not to expect too much from a 12 week old dog. We all want our dogs to mature faster than they do. It should be directed fun and games for now. ABDA (Arctic Bird Dog Association) would be a good place to start. There is also a local NAVHDA group. Falcon Ridge is a game bird farm at Point McKenzie. Gary, the owner has great training grounds and good birds. It will cost some money. I raise and train shorthairs and I'm almost to the point of sending a pup to a lower 48 professional trainer because they do training professionally, they train all year round and in the matter of a few months they can give your dog more bird exposure than I could give them in several years, and in the long run would cost less for the results. I have a great trainer who I know well so I can trust his methods.