Thread: Kodiak

Talking Kodiak

Anyone have recommendations on best spots for salmon and trout in Kodiak. I'm heading there in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Anyone have recommendations on best spots for salmon and trout in Kodiak. I'm heading there in two weeks.
    Ive only visited once and it seemed like almost every single river I drove over on my way to Pasagshak had salmon in them. At the time I went (last week of august) these rivers were full of pinks and chums. Lots of Dollies as well.

For your time frame, I dont know what will be running.

I bought the book "Kodiak fishing at any angle'' or something like that. Its by Bernard here on the forum.
    For me, the ~$20 spent and the countless hours it saved me in research was more than worth it.
    When I arrived on the island I kind of knew where the more frequented rivers were situated, what would be in the rivers at time and basics on how to catch these fish.

Some people seem to get quite upset when this book is mentioned which is odd to me. "Hey dont buy this book there's tons of info on this forum etc"
    Even though I do agree that there is a lot of info here, it does sometimes (often) help to read a book to get the basics, then ask more specific questions on here afterwards.

Wish I could be more helpful but Im sure you're gonna catch lots of fish wherever you go.

good luck
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Thank you Soda.

Yes, the local information on the forum is always important and is always pretty darn good. Yet the overall picture for the do's and don'ts, and the why's and how's, is what brought that book into being. I'm not touting it any more, it is almost completly sold out, and I have no further interest in the book business. There was not a publisher in the USA who would print it, all decrying "Kodiak had no market value worth investment printing". I disagreed, and had to go all the way to China to bring it in for under twenty bucks.

It's been tough to do business in Alaska being an "outsider". I even got hate mail, but took the advice of the original owner and inceptor of the Outdoors Directory, David Johnson, and took it all and held on. Overall, I got plenty of thanks, made friends, and assisted many.

Things change. My wife died in my arms a little over 7 months ago. She never wanted to to live in the Great Land and now she's gone. Four weeks ago I shook hands on a 12 month lease in Kodiak. Sure, I'll only stay the best of the 12 (May through October), and I will always be the outsider. Yet when l change my disposistion of what I will do when I am there, and if my vision of new redirection comes true, I'll be providing jobs for Alaskans, and that's a good thing.

Now, back to Owl's question. If you can afford it, go with Kodiak ATV Adventures and take the 17.5 odessy into Saltery Cove and have the time of your life.

My best wishes...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

That time of year lots of fish to be had. Pinks will be everywhere and dolly fishing will be insane on the olds or american. Great fishing also abides on the stocked lakes for trout . If you stay long enough silvers will start to be good in the mouths of rivers in late august. My favorite spots for them that time of year is kalsin beach and pasagshak beach. Also do not forget the underated chum if you can get a fresh one to hit at kalsin your in for a battle

Great advice on the chum, Commando; mine came in dime bright on the Nush and Nak and I made gravlax out of all of them...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota,FL
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I've had some big chums take darn near 200 yards of line and jume more than 10 times in the salt flats of kalsin.... they are truly awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak Commando View Post
    I've had some big chums take darn near 200 yards of line and jume more than 10 times in the salt flats of kalsin.... they are truly awesome
    I made the terrible...TERRIBLE mistake of throwing 1/8oz jigs into a school of pinks where there were a few massive chums sitting with them on the american or olds (dont remember). 8lbs test and a trout rod.
    It was the only time in my life I ever got sick of fighting a fish. Down river, up river, across river, stand in river, now back to shore, now the other side, now downstream....I actually broke into a full on sweat as if I went jogging.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Everyone; thanks for the information. I can't wait!

Best priced down home breakfast in town is at the Shelikof...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL