Thread: Will Fish creek open up for dipping?

Default Will Fish creek open up for dipping?

Just thinking about the record runs the Kenai is experiencing and wondering if Fish creek will open for dipping this year? Anyone heard?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Only after they pass 50,000 reds past the weir.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Can't say anything about fish crik, but I find it hilarious how the entire forum's thread shift has gone from "dismal runs" a couple weeks ago to "record runs" this week.

It's funny, cuz it's the same thing every year. First there's no fish, then a few fish, then they start coming in hoards...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

yes, but its the kings that are in trouble

There were way too many people dipnetting last time at Fish Creek! Saw lots of people keeping the silvers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Theone2 View Post
    Saw lots of people keeping the silvers too.
    There's no prohibition on keeping dipped silvers - at least as far as I am aware. Besides, once a fish has been caught in a gillnet, it is not likely to survive after being released. Add to that the fact that silvers do very poorly after being released in brackish water, and it makes sense to keep them.

Default I vote yes

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Just thinking about the record runs the Kenai is experiencing and wondering if Fish creek will open for dipping this year? Anyone heard?
    Whether it will or won't is a crapshoot, but my dice are betting that it will open. I plan to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    There's no prohibition on keeping dipped silvers - at least as far as I am aware.
    there was in 2009
    but not last year

I wanna gooo.....

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Besides, once a fish has been caught in a gillnet, it is not likely to survive after being released. Add to that the fact that silvers do very poorly after being released in brackish water, and it makes sense to keep them.
    There was a prohibition in 2009 when I went to Fish Creek. And the Fish and Game must have there reason for not letting people net and keep the Silvers. Let everyone else keep the silvers, I ain't paying no fine.

What they should do is close it to dipnetters and open it to sporties earlier, the **** creek is as wide as one lane of the highway, would be a great place for kids to learn how to catch sockeyes. Can of worms...
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I agree with you Bigcox. Especially when all the people find out that dipnetting is open there, it becomes combat dipnetting. Its outrageous! I love small creeks like that and I miss the times when I was the only person fishing on a creek for trout.

I think that would be a great idea as well. Kids, with supervising parent(s) for safety and coaching, 8am - 6pm the 1st half from the opening. everyone else the second half. Can you imagine all the smiling faces. that would be worth more than half my limit.

In 2009, the fishery was extended into August because of a late push of sockeye. Normally the fishery closes by regulation after July 31. Since it was extended into August, the retention of coho was prohibited.

There is a new youth only fishery for Fish Creek. The regulations for it are found on page 34. Fishing by anglers 15 years and younger is allowed only between 6am-6pm on the first Saturday and Sunday in August (Aug. 6-7 this year).

Not looking good so far for an EO. It's been 6 days since the big slug started hitting Kenai. I would think if any of that slug were comming to fish creek they would be there by now

It was almost the second week of August when they opened it last year. F&G will probably start seeing some numbers soon enough.

I hope Fish creek becomes a more permanent dipping spot again. Any dipnetting in AK seems to have own brand of fish fever so it would be nice to spread out the population to more places like Fish creek rather than concentrating everyone into one or two areas (such as the Kenai/ Kasilof rivers)

Quote Originally Posted by akpirate View Post
    It was almost the second week of August when they opened it last year. F&G will probably start seeing some numbers soon enough.
    FYI....Fish Cr. was open to dipnetting July 24 - July 31 last year

Quote Originally Posted by akpirate View Post

I hope Fish creek becomes a more permanent dipping spot again. Any dipnetting in AK seems to have own brand of fish fever so it would be nice to spread out the population to more places like Fish creek rather than concentrating everyone into one or two areas (such as the Kenai/ Kasilof rivers)
    I wouldn't hold my breath. This is the last year of returning hatchery fish. I doubt natural production can produce enough ofsockeye to support a p.u. fishery. We'll see.....
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly