Thread: looking to buy new 4 wheeler.

Default looking to buy new 4 wheeler.

I am looking at all the new 4 wheelers and I just do not know what to think. I use to use the susuki 250 4 runner with good luck. Now the machines have more hp and the weight is higher. I was proud of my old machine because I did not get stuck as much as others especially in the swamps which I contrubuted to the light weight and the independent suspension. Where I go there is considerable swamps and I have seen the 6 wheelers stuck several times. I would consider the argo but with no suspension my already troubled back would suffer. I have looked at and like the Can Am, Yamaha, susuki but I would like some info from folks using the machinces now a days. Thanks
    Jim

If I had the coin, I would like to get a Can Am side x side 800. Right now I have a 06 grizzly 660.

We started out with the old 'King Quads'. They were good machines for the time, but too small for what we used them for. We now have 2 Arctic 500's and really like them. The larger machine are bigger and a lot heavier, but that also gives you to chance to put 'better' and some times largers tires on them. The first thing that I do with any new machine is to replace the stock tires! Depending on how you use your 4 wheeler there is nothing wrong with the 400-500 cc modles.
    If you get a chance, ride machine that other own and see how they handle. The other thing you might want to do is to take a 'road trip' to Eureka or Petersville any weekend and talk with riders there. Most riders are more then willing to talk about their machine and 'brag' on how well they do.
    Be sure to ask questions about maintenance and any break down they might have had.
    Good luck in getting a new machine, they sure are fun.
    We are taking 13 riders to Swede Lake this weekend, going to be a fun weekend.

What Derby said- I think the reason you're not getting many responses is because this subject got brought up a week ago with the normal posts discussing pros and cons and a bit of brand bashing. This thread pretty much had it all. If you get where you narrow it down to a certain brand or type of ride, you could post up specific questions- but you'll still likely get brand bashers who post their 2 cents as well. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/101344-Which-ATV

"If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

+1 for ER DEE and derby

everyone has their favorites and will chime in w/ their $.02! I got a 660cc years back and often think it's too big. Just picked up a 450cc for the wife (w/ power steering)... A real plus IMO for reduced arm fatigue and steering ease, esp say picking your way thru a rock / brush patch at slow speeds.

All brands have their plus & minus, find one w/ the features you like and we'll see you out on the trail

It's all preference really. I like the yammies just cause im familiar with them. When buying new they are all pretty much the same price. The Can-Am's seem like there the most expensive but they come pretty much with everything from the get go. If you were to buy a new Grizzly and throw on a winch plus wheels/tires price wise it would be about the same as a can-am. Wheelers are nice but the side x sides is where its at... I love my Commander nah there is a place for both but the comfort and utility of the commander is awesome.

If you are not looking for a big bike I will have a bunch of 2011 yamaha 350's with IRS,4x4,diff lock for sale at the end of Aug or a little before for $3900
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jim k View Post
    I am looking at all the new 4 wheelers and I just do not know what to think. I use to use the susuki 250 4 runner with good luck. Now the machines have more hp and the weight is higher. I was proud of my old machine because I did not get stuck as much as others especially in the swamps which I contrubuted to the light weight and the independent suspension. Where I go there is considerable swamps and I have seen the 6 wheelers stuck several times. I would consider the argo but with no suspension my already troubled back would suffer. I have looked at and like the Can Am, Yamaha, susuki but I would like some info from folks using the machinces now a days. Thanks
    Jim
    If your going into swampy areas than you won't need to worry about the lack of suspension in the argo besides the newer ones are alot more comforatable. My dad has 4 fuzed discs in his neck and two more in his lower back and rides just fine all over with my argo. i am selling mine at a very fair price if your interested in taking it for a spin let me know. never have to worry about getting stuck again. and can haul all your gear and more in and out.
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!