Thread: what is this fish?

Default what is this fish?

Caught in Passage canal what is it, are they good to eat? This one got released.100_0331.jpg

Kelp Greenling and yes they are good to eat.

That mouth looks a little large for a greenling, but otherwise it loks exactly liek one. I thought they had good flavor, just a little mushy for my taste.

Female Kelp Greenling
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

linger bait

Good to eat! A little soft for some I think. But basically it's just a tiny little ling cod so how bad can it be?

Yep, greenling. Plenty good to eat. Used to catch them all the time. It's fun to use a salmon rod and small bait when you're anchored or drifting for lunch or whatever and see what you get. I've caught a lot of greenling in little rocky coves and bays while anchored for the night. It's a great way to entertain the kids.

Wife and I went on a shrimp trip last Thursday out of Whittier. Caught one of those when out for rock fish. Caught another INSIDE one of the shrimp pots. Needless to say, there were no shrimp in the pot!

I've got some monster ling on greenling, never on purpose. Usually as I'm pulling them up they get very heavy, get the gaff ready, ling on!

I just caught a couple today too. I think these are actually juvie ling cod, dont kelp greenling have blue colored meat?

It's a kelp greenling. I have been able to find no definitive answer on why some of them have greenish coloration, but some do. From my experience I believe it is a regional anomaly that could be a result of diet. Alaska also has rock greenling, which have the same body style but different color patterning. I posted an article about them in our saltwater fishing area of the site earlier this summer, together with a greenish-colored rock greenling we caught on Adak. Check it out AT THIS LINK.

Some people call them sea trout, but they are not a sea trout at all. The meat is finer-textured than rockfish, and really good eating.

They are widely-distributed along the Pacific coast, from California through the Alaska Peninsula. They are most certainly NOT ling cod.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks alot, I always wondered about that blue-ish meat on some and white meat on these. Sounds like they are both good eating.