Thread: A video of dipnetting Kenai on Sunday 7/17

Default A video of dipnetting Kenai on Sunday 7/17

The date on the video is wrong...oops...that's when I got done cleaning the fish and uploading the video!

Haven't seen too many videos on dipnetting so I thought I'd post one. Started off slow as the water level came up. But closer to peak high tide, the fish started showing and it was one a minute or so. Seemed like more of them should have found their way into the nets with all the fish jumping around!

This was a slow day. Ended with 61 though 50 or so came in under one hour. Our crew picked up over 250 the day before with two boats, 4 nets, in three hours (four families). We typically utilize a crew of four with the additional person applying wood shampoo, bleeding, and marking tails.

Video is sped up 10X.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Fast and Furious
    Nice video Rudy.You always show it how it is.Keep 'em coming.
    That's a lot of filleting you had to do.

hey mark! Sorry for my disarray. Going to try and take thi Monday off too. I got to hit it once at least!!!! Work is done as far as filling the freezer. So now it's more play time!!! Picked up a sail for the windy days since it seems to blow upriver all the time on the lower kenai!

Great video, that was fun to watch. I could have done the same on Friday, but it would of been a whole lot of standing around with the occassional flounder. Spent 4-5 hours out there with flounders being the only action, so I probably would have to ramp up the video to 100X speed.

what were you clipping the tails with? it almost looks like garden shears which thinking about it is probably a really good idea.

Cool video!
    I was thinking of mounting my helmet camera, but couldn't find a solid mount point on the soft top that would be out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by quakinator View Post
    what were you clipping the tails with? it almost looks like garden shears which thinking about it is probably a really good idea.
    Yup, shears or clippers are the ONLY way to go. Well I guess I dint know that. What I know is using a knife seems impossible. I'd use a chunk of 2X4 and hatchet before a knife to cut tails.

What nets are you guys using? Seemed like you were just flipping the fish out with zero tangled or gilled fish. I spent more time picking fish and untangling messes than fishing at some points, and I'm using a smaller mesh to avoid the gilling, but they would still flop and spin and get all tangled up at times.

Bloody good time! Nice boat for dipping out of. AIH carrys a clipper that you use the utility knife blades and for years now its the way to cut tails. Just snip !

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    What nets are you guys using? Seemed like you were just flipping the fish out with zero tangled or gilled fish. I spent more time picking fish and untangling messes than fishing at some points, and I'm using a smaller mesh to avoid the gilling, but they would still flop and spin and get all tangled up at times.
    They were my friends nets. One thing we did do was nylock tie the net so the bag was shallower. This makes the bag shallower but also the netting tighter I think once you bring the fish on board. Loose netting encourages twisting. Bumps with no fish increase but as you pointed out, the downtime of gilled fish in net decreases dramatically. Don't tie the net to shorten it, you will never get it untied. Another maybe better way is to shorten the bag by nylock tying the extra net up by the rim.

When it's slow, you want to land every bump. When the action is hot, you lose more time on deck which also translates into less fish for the other net as the boat goes briefly out of control with only one net deployed.

The key to successful dipnetting is maximizing the time the nets are in the water!

Quote Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
    Cool video!
    I was thinking of mounting my helmet camera, but couldn't find a solid mount point on the soft top that would be out of the way.
    mount it to dip net pole so you get a fish eye view
    Semper Fi!

Those are Mike's Welding nets. And they should never get tangled if you lift the net right in and dump the fish out.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    Those are Mike's Welding nets. And they should never get tangled if you lift the net right in and dump the fish out.
    I think the key is tightening it up a bit. I've got Mike's Welding nets and I've had plenty of tangled, spun, and gilled fish in them.