Thread: Places to clean fish after dipping?

Default Places to clean fish after dipping?

Was wondering where I could safely and legally clean fish after dipping the mouth of the Kenai. I don't like to fillet on the beach, too hard on the knives, but I also don't want to crash a flippin hole eaither, and the dump would be a waste of good protein that could go back into the system.

Thoughts or suggestions?

We gut our fish right at the rivers edge. I've never filleted at the river, I don't see how you could keep the sand out of the fillets.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The city dock has cleaning tables with fresh water. I have used the tables at Centennial (crashed the flippin hole I spose). Each for a fee but well worth it to have some water to clean with.

That is one reason we usually stay at the Riverbend campground. They have a nice table by the water that we use after a day of dipping. Camp is close by with clean showers as well. I feel kind of bad taking over half the table with 80-90 fish to clean so when a sport fisher is standing there with his catch I usually offer to whip them out real quick for them or just take a break for a few minutes while they step in. Last time I was down there I filleted 92 of my own reds and about 30 sport caught for tourists....it was a long day.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Stranded_Herp View Post
    Was wondering where I could safely and legally clean fish after dipping the mouth of the Kenai. I don't like to fillet on the beach, too hard on the knives, but I also don't want to crash a flippin hole eaither, and the dump would be a waste of good protein that could go back into the system.

Thoughts or suggestions?
    A few years ago, the first time I went boat dipping and got into some serious fish, we took em home and did the whole thing right in the kitchen. While this made for some great photos after the fact, in my opinion, my wife did not agree.

Ever since then, we have just set up a table in the back yeard and done all the cleaning out there. We just throw the guts and heads and all in a tote, and then take it to the landfill.

Interesting thought about getting all that protein back into the river somehow. I wonder what would happen if we took a bin with the guts from about 80 salmon and dumped it off the Soldotna bridge?

I imagine it would make a big splash