Thread: all these reds

Default all these reds

Just a thought, but did any of us trout guys wonder what this will do to the trout fishing this fall? I have no idea if it will make it better or worse?????????? What do you think?

The only thing unusual at this point is the large numbers at one time. Per counts last year they stopped at just under a million sockeye, so at this point fall fishing should be normal. If the total sockeye number is over last year that could have an impact I would think. Just my .02
    "The Tug is the Drug"

good point, I guess more or less I jumped the gun by assuming that since they are coming in all at once that maybe there was a lot more on the way and the run timing might be a little early which it really isn't. So maybe it wont affect it at all.

Think of what happens on a Pink year when there is tons of salmon in the water. Big trout feeding everywhere. I wouldn't worry to much. More eggs and flesh in the water. The only thing I could see, is the trout may get stuffed so it may be spotty fishing. Good a week slow a week. I have seen this on the middle on a pink year. The fish are just stuffed and turn off.

The only thing i could see happening is having so much food in the water our flies/beads will get lost in the mayhem!

Im more worried about the water lever and how clear it is than how many reds make it at this point
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

A huge sockeye return could push the bite back a few weeks, but the food will eventually start to decrease and the trout will be even more healthy!!!!!!

Kenai River troup/dolly fishing will be better. It alway gets better in late summer and especially fall. And......it can not get any more than the current trrible lack of fish on the upper Kenai right now!

Quote Originally Posted by akgloomis View Post
    If the total sockeye number is over last year that could have an impact I would think. Just my .02
    To clarify my statement, a good impact.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Im more worried about the water lever and how clear it is than how many reds make it at this point
    Chuck,
    I hear you on that one..............more so in the fall then any time else. I went past the lower kiley the other day and man it was dumping nasty water!