Thread: 30 cal bullet expansion chart

Default 30 cal bullet expansion chart

Several years ago I believe Handloader had a chart showing the expansion of nearly every 180grain 30 cal bullets fired at differing velocities. It showed where each started to expand and where they stopped expanding. Does anyone have a copy of it. I know it was online but I can't seem to find it. Thanks. Jim

I have the original hard copy of it, have never seen it online. Then again, I guess I've never looked for it online.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Go to your public library and ask them for a copy of Handloader Magazine, issue # 193. You want a piece by Gary Sciuchetti, titled "The Best Hunting Bullet."

I think this is it:

Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

That's the one. In the mid to late 90's the table was produced as a centerfold pull-out 11x17 poster. Don't remember what publication/issue.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I've got one of those somewhere in my stuff. That chart convinced me that not every cartridge needs one of the new super bullets and that many of the slower rounds would be better served with the right cup and core bullet. The Rem core lokt bullet shows very well on this chart giving very predictable results for a wide velocity spread.

1Cor15:19, thanks for posting that. After saving to computer and blowing up where my weak eyes can read it, I'm liking what I see from my Speer Mag Tip 06 loads. From 2600-2800fps, looks like they should get the job done.

Thanks Again!

Quote Originally Posted by HUNTERKJL View Post
    1Cor15:19, thanks for posting that. After saving to computer and blowing up where my weak eyes can read it, I'm liking what I see from my Speer Mag Tip 06 loads. From 2600-2800fps, looks like they should get the job done.

Thanks Again!
    Glad that it is some help.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thanks Again!
    They stopped making the 7mm Speer Mag Tip bullets. If you can get the 30 Cal. ones, you might wanna stock up.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yea Smitty, I think Speer switched last year the way they make their bullets. If I'm thinking right, I believe they started using a process of bonding the gilding metal to the lead like the way the Fusion bullets are made. Correct me if I'm wrong on this?? I still have at least 300 or more of the .308 cal 180gr Mag Tips and a couple hundred each Grand Slam's in same cal. of 150's and 180's. Should have bought more when I found a LGS selling them on the cheap. I'm thinking a guy will have to look for them now at the gun shows. Sometimes though, a guy can find some old production bullets sitting on the shelf of gun shops. If I ever stumble across any 7mm's, I'll shoot you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    That's the one. In the mid to late 90's the table was produced as a centerfold pull-out 11x17 poster. Don't remember what publication/issue.
    Handloader #193 (circa 1998)

Smitty, are the Mag Tip bullets similar to the "Hot Cor" made by speer now? Reason I ask is the 416 hunting bullet is listed as the mag tip, also as the hot cor. Wondering what is the difference as I have not seen a mag tip. Thanks, Mark

From my understanding (reading from the Speer manual) the Mag Tip was very similar to the Hot Cor, the difference being in the jacket was slightly thicker and tapered for controlled expansion and bullet integrity at higher velocities. I think of it as a step up from the Hot Cor and a step down from the premium Grand Slam. I know they shoot good out of two 30 06's I have, but have not put any meat on the table with them yet. Hopefully this year!

From my understanding (reading from the Speer manual) the Mag Tip was very similar to the Hot Cor, the difference being in the jacket was slightly thicker and tapered for controlled expansion and bullet integrity at higher velocities. I think of it as a step up from the Hot Cor and a step down from the premium Grand Slam. I know they shoot good out of two 30 06's I have, but have not put any meat on the table with them yet. Hopefully this year!
    Yes, that's my understanding also, and unlike the hot Cor, the Mag Tip has a protected point.

Sure, lemme know if you run across some in 7mm. Either 160 or 175 grain.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Just in addtion too:

Mag Tip uses a hot core, thicker jacket with flutes to ensure expansion even at lower velocities, while maintaining jacket coreintegraty and of corse the protected point. In some slower cartridge its a better expander than the hot core as with the 300savage and the 150gr MT.

Thanks guys. That was what I was looking for. You loose all kinds of info when you change computers. It would be nice if all manufactures would tell you what velocity levels their bullets were designed for. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdb3 View Post
    Thanks guys. That was what I was looking for. You loose all kinds of info when you change computers. It would be nice if all manufactures would tell you what velocity levels their bullets were designed for. Jim
    Some of'em do.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Hunter, I would like to do the same thing so I can read it also. Could you give me a little more detail on you did that. Thanks