Thread: Rivers, bears and Prince of Wales Island

Default Rivers, bears and Prince of Wales Island

Hello all. I'm putting together a trip to chase bears next May. I've used the search button a ton, read the hunt planning sticky, purchased books and now I have a few specific questions. I hope I've not repeated many asked before.

1) When would the least busy time to contact the ADFG biologist for POW island? I don't want to bother him during a busy time since its a year out before my hunt.
    2) Would some of you experienced coastal bear hunters critique this hunt plan?
    a.) We intend to start our hunting by cruising the shore in a skiff. If we see a mature bear, we will attempt to stalk it with the wind in our face and docking a quarter mile or so from the bear. Would we be best served hunting all like this all day, or just the dusk & dawn period?
    b) If we don't see bears doing this the first 2 days, we'd then drive and hike to a clear cut area, and glass the dusk/dawn times. During mid day, we'd drive, looking for sign and stopping and calling with a fawn in distress or rabbit squealer every few miles. My thought process is, we should be able to see some sign during the mid day calling sessions that might make it worthwhile to return and glasss the next morning or evening even if nothing responds to calling.
    c) As a last option, and this might not work at all especially since I've yet to read anyone else doing it, is to use a canoe to float hunt a river on the island. Would this be a waste of time?

Thats it for now. Thanks in advance for your help and time.

Andy

I would check the game laws real good for mode of transportation allowed durning your hunt dates. A year from now you may well need a guide even for black bears. Is the chow still good at the Blessing hotel
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Amigo,

I will indeed check those regs. It seems the regulations in alaska are ever-changing. The Hotel in Blessing is still serving fine fair from Roast Beef to Fried Chicken in that good old family style way its been doing for decades. Did you visit this area or did you live in this neck of the woods at one time?

Sounds like you have a good plan go Mid May Regs. may change soon keep watching on that area been in the works for a few years now. I would stick with the skiff hell or high water before any of the other plans. You may go a few days and not see anything and then one evening you see 5. LOL Done the trip twice and went 4of 5 weather got the 5th bear and ran outta time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scopolamine View Post

1) When would the least busy time to contact the ADFG biologist for POW island? I don't want to bother him during a busy time since its a year out before my hunt.
    I'd avoid sheep season. He's pretty busy then.

according to the fish and game guy in Craig (Steve Bethune) the non resident raflle/drawing will not go into effect until the fall of 2012. So you will be ok next spring without a guide.
    I recommend Coffman Cove Adventures in Coffman Cove at the north end of the island. Nice people, great equipment (boats/vehicles) and great food. Makes for a nice hunt and lots of bears up there.