Thread: Coho fly or hook and yarn?

Default Coho fly or hook and yarn?

I know you have to use the Russian river fly with the 3/8 inch gap in the Russian area. Can't you use a regular hook and yarn in the lower Kenai? Like anything below skilak lake or am I not understanding the regs right?

Somone with more knowledge will chime in but, I'm pretty sure you can use whatever hook you want as long as the gap isn't over 3/8. ESL, wolly bugger, yarn, RR fly, etc.

Default Russian River flys etc

Actually the regs on the upper river don't require a "Russian river fly"

What is required in the fly fishing season and areas is a hook with a maximum tip to shank openning of 3/8" and a fly "constructed by common methods known as fly tying". I use yarn instead of hair and construct the fly as commonly done i.e. a wrapped head etc. The rules in the past had something about constructed of materials normally used for fly tieing - perhaps they changed the definition to get around people simply tying yarn to a hook.

In any event it is a MUST to carefully read the regulations including the definitions on page 5. I never cease wonder at the people I run into fishing that haven't bothered to carefully read and understand - as best one can - the regulations for the area where they are fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    I know you have to use the Russian river fly with the 3/8 inch gap in the Russian area. Can't you use a regular hook and yarn in the lower Kenai? Like anything below skilak lake or am I not understanding the regs right?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

You CAN use whatever you want on the lower river however I tend to continue using the "Russian River" or "Coho" flies because I tend to foul hook less fish when they are present in high densities with the smaller hook.

Default Avoiding snagging

Using a heavier line and leader along with the smaller hooks will also help to avoid snagging fish.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    You CAN use whatever you want on the lower river however I tend to continue using the "Russian River" or "Coho" flies because I tend to foul hook less fish when they are present in high densities with the smaller hook.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Thanks for all the info but I seem to pop off lots of fish and would like to land more. Ifigured sharper more hooked hooks would do it. The coho flys seem pretty generic

Default hooks etc.

Hooking but losing reds is part of the game. I used to figure 5 hooks ups for every fish landed but that may be a bit pessimestic depending on the conditions.

You can buy the Gami hooks in the Russian RIver pattern that are very sharp but they have minimum barbs that may be a negative. I use the cheaper hooks- Mustad? - and sharpen them myself - I like the larger barb and eye.

I learned years ago to use a heavy leader of at least 25# test to minimize the foul hooking and land more of the fish I did properly hook.

Thanks for all the info but I seem to pop off lots of fish and would like to land more. Ifigured sharper more hooked hooks would do it. The coho flys seem pretty generic