Thread: binoculars

Default binoculars

I wanted some good input on the cabelas euro binocs, and the swarovski binocs, 10 by42, I have used the swarovski binocs, and they are great, bright hold light and clear, never looked through the cabelas, i know cabelas has companies make there stuff and put there name on it, not sure if swarovski makes them. i have used higher end pentax and for the money not sure if they can be beat. i will be buying a pair of binocs and wanted to know if i should jsut buy the swarovskis
    thanks
    mike

I'm pretty sure the Cabelas euro binoculars are made my Meopta.

I haven't looked thru the Cabelas in the field but I have a pair of Meopta B1 8X56 binoculars. The optical performance at daylight is very good. At night the picture is bright but contrast and resolution begins to suffer dramatically.

Great glas...but only at daylight.

Default binoculars

Swarovski and leica are in a totally different league the Cabelas. Nothing wrong with Cabelas glass but you are comparing apples to oranges when putting them up against the Leica and swarovski. I had a pair of Nikons for twenty years, still have them. When i bought a pair of Swarovski i was totally surprised as to how much better they were then the Nikons. Save Save and Save then buy the best you can. Good luck Chef

thanks, i do understand i was comparing apples to oranges. but i also have a leuphold scope and a sightron. i love them both, i have more faith in the leuphold, but both a very comparible. so i thought maybe the same could apply with the cabels binocs. i don't want to waste money on a pair of subpar binocs.

Get in touch with Doug @ CameraLand, he has the best deals and great to deal with.
    I own 15x56 swarovski,10x42 leicas and spotting scopes by each.Recently bought 8x32 nikon LXL and they are very close to the top 3 but there is a little difference.If you can afford them or if you cant stand that you dont have the best then go with the 3.But, there are some good ones at lot less,Doug has Minox Hg's and Nikon LXL demos that would be good choices.
    Hope this helps,Coues

Default Minox

I was in your shoes just two weeks ago. I really really loved the 10x42 swarovski EL. I ended up talking with Doug and he sent me a pair of Minox Hg 10x52. They are only 1/2 inch longer and only a few ounces heavier and with the 52 you have plently of light getting in.

I ordered a pair for $699 and the next day he posted 4 pairs for $549. He is allow me to send mine back and get the cheaper pair and will issue store credit for the balance. He mentioned that Minox broke off from Lecia. I am happy with them and I still have $1300 in my pocket to purchase more goodies.

Man i love this forum, thanks once again. lots of good info. and heck yeah 1300 dollars saved is nothing to blow off, but those leicas are sweet. but i have been under the impression that minox was kinda a knock off brand i guess. i just heard some bad things bout there cameras. so i never looked twice at the binocs. but if i can get a good pair of binocs, for that price. good deal. now here comes another question. i have used the pentax and really like them. how would the high end pentax compare to the minox.

Default Pentax or Minox

I own three pair of Pentax, the 9x63, 8x56 or 54, and 8x32 and I truely like pentax and have nothing bad to say about them. The first two are two bulky for a sheep hunt.

Doug just mentioned the Minox are a step below the Lecia and Swarovski. I am not sure where he would put Pentax. Alot of people on this forum have nothing but good things to say about Doug and so I took him at his word.

I am a big Pentax fan. I think Pentax glass is an excellent value. I have had the 10x43 DCF SP's for a few years and really like them. I have spent hours and hours behind them. I have compared them to the Zeiss Classic 10x40's and to me they are just as good. The new ED glass has got to make them even better. Personaly I think the big three are overpriced. Nice glass but not 3 times as nice. You pay an extra grand for the name. It used to be that thier glass was head and shoulders above others but that's not the case anymore. Thier not the only ones who can grind and coat glass. I think Pentax glass has been overlooked by hunters for quite some time. In the world of Birders and Astronomers Pentax spotters have always been ones to be reckoned with for 2 thirds to half the price of the big 3. The Pentax spotting scopes are world class with the 20-60x100 an industry benchmark. The same quality goes into the high end Pentax binos. Plus they have a lifetime warranty, waterproof, shockproof, etc. like the big 3. If it were me I'd buy the newest Pentaxes and not look back. My next purchase will be a new Pentax ED spotter at half the price of one of the others. I bet if we were to line them up side by side and cover up the names most of us couldn't tell the difference until we looked at the price tag.

Just my .02. I'll probably take some heat on this one by the big 3 followers but hey, for the price of a pair of 10x42 swaros I bought my Pentaxes and a Kimber Montana 325!

Pentax is junk!...get the Swarovski's 10x42 EL you won't be happy unless you get them, trust me, its happened to alot to my huntin' buds....K

I have used pentax and i really do like them. and i understand that there is a difference with the top two, compared to all the others, but i would like to know why you think pentax is so bad. I am not trying to start a brand bashing war. just getting info on some of the 500-900 priced binocs and seeing if it is worth the extra money to get the swarovski

Forum Sponsor

IMO, The Pentax DCF SP's were one of the best buys out there until Minox released the HG series. Obviously, Pentax took notice of the price and quality of the Minox HG as they came out with the DCF ED line of binoculars. These are slightly more expensive than the Minox HG's but still way less than the Big Three. In a side by side of the HG and the DCF ED's it is very close, kinda like Ben & Jerry's vs Hagen Daz It really comes down personal taste, feel, and color resolution preferance.
    As far as comparing these to the Big Three I think that the difference is maybe 5% which would come into play in tricky lighting conditions, first & last light and possibly extreme edge sharpness.

Please feel free to call me to discuss optics anytime (but not between the 15th and the 19th as I am goin' fishin' )
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

If you consider the Minox be aware that their field of fiew (FOV) is very small.

for the Minox, the 10x52 or what ever they are sounds like a big field of view to me. or am i under teh wrong impression about the 52.

Forum Sponsor

Field-of-View (@ 1000 Yds) 303' (92 m at 1000 m)
    If there is anything I can answer for you or assist you with please let me know.
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Doug
    Camera Land
    1-866-9-optics
    1-516-217-1000
    gr8fuldoug@aol.com

Default Look on Ebay!!

I've bought my last 2 pair of Binocs on E-bay for half price or less. The first pair of bought were Swarovski 8X30s for 400 (shipping included). Sold those to my bro then i bought 10X42s for 900 shipping included. Now granted each pair was 2 years old when i bought them, but they were both in immaculate condition. But Swarovski's warranty doesn't care who bought them orignally or if they do it didn't seem to matter to get my eye cups replaced after I tore them on a rock.

You also don't know what you are getting into sometimes with Ebay as well, but I've seem to have had good luck. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Its saved me a bundle.

Default Nikon

I have used alot of the "good ones" both hunting and on the water. My swaro's went overboard not too long ago so I started looking for a decent pair of "disposable" Binos. What I chose was the Nikon Action EX 10X50 6.5 degree. I LOVE THEM!! I use them all the time now. I can afford to have a set in the boat and a set for hunting. Can someone tell me what I am missing with these.

Woody

Wink

Woody, if they work for you, no eye strain ect. then all you have missed is fequent trips to the cash machine! LOL
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Pentax is junk!...get the Swarovski's 10x42 EL you won't be happy unless you get them, trust me, its happened to alot to my huntin' buds....K

Kahahawai is right.... not about Pentax being junk, but you won't be happ yuntil you own a pair of ELs. I tried to settle for something less and ended up a pair of ELs. I have to admit, these are awesome. I have issues with my eyes and the slightest bit of distortion or parallax gives me a headache. I ended up with the ELs, although my purchase was made easier in that I didn't actually have to pay for them. I made a rather nice chunk of change at my bachelor party and blew the wad on the ELs. Lets just say it my wife wasn't too impressed when she found out years later from my buddy. Lets just say I owe him one.... I never regretted buying them. Don think you will either. You only pay the bill one time, you get to spend the rest of you life enjoying them.

F2T