Thread: Overnighting in Reserection Bay

Default Overnighting in Reserection Bay

We are taking our boat down to fish for silvers today and would love a place to throw the anchor down and spend the night. We are PWS family, so we'd appreciate any advice on where to stay and any other tips you may have for us. Thanks in advance, Doug

Humpy or Thumb are both good anchorages.
    Good luck!
    BK

Thank you!

If you are fishing silvers, I would fish at Cheval Narrows or Pony and stay the night in Agnes Cove.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    If you are fishing silvers, I would fish at Cheval Narrows or Pony and stay the night in Agnes Cove.
    That would be better than all the wake in Thumb or Humpy. And a really short trip to boot!

You'll have to get in there early, it fills up fast.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Go around Cape Ailaik and spend the night in a cove on that side. hit the south side of Granite Island and avoid the parking lot at Cheval narrows. Only draw back is if you are fishing outside (have a ling on board) you are limited to 3 silvers. Beautiful countryside on the other side of the cape. Check you charts and locate the glaciers

There's a few other caveats to fishing in Pony and staying in Aialak. Please read and understand the North Gulf Coast Saltwater regulations especially the Resurrection Bay exception (bottom of page 57). For example, if you have more than 3 silvers on-board, you can't fish for any species outside of Resurrection Bay and if you have a Lingcod on-board, you can't fish for anything inside Resurrection Bay. Now for the disclaimer, I'm not a lawyer or official law interpreter of any kind so my examples are my interpretation and may or may not be the same interpretation as a F&W officer or judge.

Thumb, Humpy, or Agnes all have good anchorages. If you're in need of shore like we are, that leaves us only with Thumb and Sunny. There isn't much shelter but they should provide enough for this time of year. I've only been "surprised" in Thumb but that was in September and the winds were coming from the South blowing right into the bay. It made for a real long night in the dark trying to make sure my anchor was holding. If you're fishing around Fox or Hive, then consider running in to Day Harbor. It has good bays but I've only stayed overnight in Driftwood and that was because I had to not because I wanted to (i.e., another long night).

If you stay overnight outside Resurrection, watch the weather and tides. I have had several friends gets spanked pretty hard coming back when they hit an outgoing tide plus winds out of the south with a swell, it can really stack up and make it tough to get back inside.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

If you stay overnight outside Resurrection, watch the weather and tides. I have had several friends gets spanked pretty hard coming back when they hit an outgoing tide plus winds out of the south with a swell, it can really stack up and make it tough to get back inside.
    No arguments here. But, Three Hole Bay is nice with a good forcast. But as you said, playing around the Cape, Chat/No Name Island, and Pilot Rock with a Southern or Eastern wind with an ebbing tide is not for the faint of heart. It's perfect for it to be crummy as it has perpendicular rocks for the swell to rebound off of, a shallow bottom that accelerates the tidal currents, and it is fully exposed to the winds that tend to gust harder there than most anywhere else. Frankly, if the forecast is for 6 feet on the outside it can be twice that in the vicinity of the Aialik Cape with the conditions I pointed out above. And it is often a confused slosh if it wasn't bad enough already. Funny thing is, when there isn't an ebbing tide, and winds without an eastern component, it really isn't too bad there. It can even be pretty nice. But in general, the conditions around Aialik Cape tend to magnify the conditions and are something to be aware of.

Sunny Cove is our favorite anchorage in the bay since it is close to allof the action and has an excellent beach for walking the dogs. But it can be a challenge to keep the anchor set and the steep topography tends to block sat reception, resulting in false anchor drag alarms. Mary's Bay has always been tempting but it has no beach. Humpy and Thumb Coves are good but a bit far removed from the good fishing areas. Agnes Cove is great, but I fear losing an anchor there as it's quite craggy. Pony or Porcupine Coves are too exposed for my liking. Last, Bulldog Cove is a fantastic spot, but the weather has to be fantastic to even consider dropping an overnight hook there. The northern most bight offers some protection and we managed to stay there once in four years of fishing the area. If you can make it out of the Bay, there are scads of places to explore in Aialik Bay and Day Harbor. Be advised the getting around Cape Aialik can be a real b!tch even in good weather and either place you run the risk of waking up to horrid seas with no warning. They are areas well worth exploring and we have slammed some really nice fish there.

Inside the bay I stayed in Bulldog cove recently and it was nice, but the weather was nice as well, I imagine that it might get windy in there.

Quote Originally Posted by MischiefManaged View Post
    Last, Bulldog Cove is a fantastic spot, but the weather has to be fantastic to even consider dropping an overnight hook there. The northern most bight offers some protection and we managed to stay there once in four years of fishing the area.
    Correction - the bight mentioned is just north of the southern most point comprising Bulldog Cove. I'm glad you enjoyed it as it is really a fantastic place to anchor.