Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The elusive red.

Default The elusive red.

So I stopped by the Kenai today for a shot at the reds. They were definitely in there. I hooked into 7 in about 1.5 hours. Of course I lost all 7 of them grrrrrrr. Oh well. Hopefully theyll still be in there this weekend and Ill try again.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I bet it was still better than a day of work!!! I wish I was there with ya today.

Make sure you have very sharp hooks and get a fly rod. If you snag a rock, change your fly. Don't use the cheapos from sportsmans. The tip of those hooks will bend over very easily. I tie mine with gamakatsus and they stay sharp a lot longer! I've noticed with a fly rod my hook-to-land ratio is a heck of a lot better than with a spinning or casting setup. Not sure exactly what it is but I think it's the way the fly rod loads up with the fish. It exerts less pressure on the hook while letting you manage the fish at the same time. Casting rods just seem to rip hooks out, to stiff and not much give when the fish runs. If you still want to get into the reds with a casting or spinning setup, get one that has some glass in it and has a slower action and switch from braided to mono. The extra give in the rod and stretch of the mono should help exert less pressure on the hook point. Get one that kinda acts like a fly rod. Just my observations and experience, but it has seemed to help a lot.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Ya I want a fly rod but I blew a lot of coin this year just getting setup period. Ill just have to make due with what I got for now. I was using a brand spanking new gamakatsu hook fresh outta the package so I dont think that was it. I did notice that I didnt seem to have enough give. I was using a mono 5-6ft mono leader and I let the drag down some but I still popped two after the adjustment.

It was way better than a day at work! If the numbers are still good I may try and head down again on saturday morning after I get off work early.

I'd bet you snagged all 7 of them and the hooks were pulling out of skin. Shorten that leader to 3-4' and you'll snag way less fish. I put up 3 in under an hour for the past three days and thats what i've been fishing. Don't worry about your rod/reel i'm sure they'll work. I do second the mono, get rid of the braid if thats what your using for mainline, that stuff will just hurt you lining for reds. The bulk flies from Trusworth are very good flies for cheap, the other ones I buy come from Fred Meyer or 3 Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I'd bet you snagged all 7 of them and the hooks were pulling out of skin. Shorten that leader to 3-4' and you'll snag way less fish. I put up 3 in under an hour for the past three days and thats what i've been fishing. Don't worry about your rod/reel i'm sure they'll work. I do second the mono, get rid of the braid if thats what your using for mainline, that stuff will just hurt you lining for reds. The bulk flies from Trusworth are very good flies for cheap, the other ones I buy come from Fred Meyer or 3 Bears.
    I seen 4 of them come out of the water right in front of me and the hook was up near the mouth I just dont think it set all the way. I was playing around with the length of line that was off the split shot and about 3' from the split shot to the hook seemed to be the ticket I just couldnt get the hook set deep enough.

Well you'll get there, i've had several days where i'm fishing exactly the same as always and can't seem to fair hook one. I think its days when the river is so full of fish your bumping them constantly and really can't help but set the hook in the side of a few.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Well you'll get there, i've had several days where i'm fishing exactly the same as always and can't seem to fair hook one. I think its days when the river is so full of fish your bumping them constantly and really can't help but set the hook in the side of a few.
    Thats cause you're snagging fish......you can still catch reds without ripping your line through the water till is snags something. Just saying......thats the sort of attitude and style that snags rainbows and dollies in the side of the gills and rips um apart.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Thats cause you're snagging fish......you can still catch reds without ripping your line through the water till is snags something. Just saying......thats the sort of attitude and style that snags rainbows and dollies in the side of the gills and rips um apart.
    Have you ever hooked fish other than with the hook inside the mouth? So unless you've been absolutely perfect ... you're technique is flawed also.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Have you ever hooked fish other than with the hook inside the mouth? So unless you've been absolutely perfect ... you're technique is flawed also.
    I hooked probablly 12 this weekend and as far as I could tell all in the mouth. Not doing the snag at the end of the drift helped. Lost all but 3 it seems hard to keep the hook set. And yes I was using the cheap sportsmans flys

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    I hooked probablly 12 this weekend and as far as I could tell all in the mouth. Not doing the snag at the end of the drift helped. Lost all but 3 it seems hard to keep the hook set. And yes I was using the cheap sportsmans flys
    Agreed, on the technique, there is no need to do the snag, if you flossed a red your line will stick at the end.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    That seems a bit presumtuous bowdy. limon didn't say anything about ripping line through the water. Be careful on that high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    So one fisherman reports back from one trip ... 12 fish hooked ... and although you didn't say it, we assume that the 3 you landed were all hooked in the mouth....9 fish may or may not have been snagged (hooked with barb in the mouth)? I would be surprised that if you fish long enough that you did not snag a fish with any technique.

When we used to fish the currents of rivers/creeks, we had sharp hooks. It was probably more of a sight and see flossing technique. If we could see the fish was hooked in the head area, then we would keep the line tight and possibly set the hook. Otherwise, we would slack the line and the fish would kick the hook free. If we landed a snagged fish, we would let it go in accordance with the regulations. With such a technique, I think I could could produce your hook-up and catch numbers/ratios but would admit that if I sunk the barb, I would've had a snagged fish at some point. So if someone happened to snag a fish... so long as they released the fish. If you care more, then try to help them with their fishing equipment/technique.

Anti-snag fisherman: I want to know your unabridged and honest technique....and what patterns these fish are really biting? We used to avoid bright flies or flies that did not cause the fish to run away. If you tied up your mystery fly patterns, I'm sure you'd be rich as who wants to waste their time playing snagged fish and then having to release them. A little sharing of information may help convert those of use that have snagged fish into the angels of the red death and ease your anger/outrage towards us non-conformist fisherman.

Wet enough I was not implying that you were or do snag as essentially that's red fishing. I was not sight fishing I only landed 1 the first day 2 the second hooked or rolled total of 12 and all that I could tell were in the mouth. I don't use special flys just the ones from sportsmans and I was fishing in slower water on the klutina.

Fanatically fishing for thirty years up here has taught me a few things. One of those, reds will bite under the right conditions. Every year I have watched reds move 1-10 feet for my fly. Last year on the Eyak River, I had reds follow my fly every cast. 3-4 reds at one time would follow the fly and one would actually strike it. I've had this same experience across the state. As mentioned earlier, smaller sparser flies are the ticket. Specifically, comets and crazy charlies are the patterns I tie. Anything that imitates shrimp or krill will work. Since sockeye are primarily plankton and krill feeders in the salt, it makes sense. Alot of my hookups come at the last few feet of my swing near shore. I've had sockeye follow my fly and strike in 12 inches of water near shore. When they hit these flies they tend to realy whack them.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Yoda: thanks for the clarification

Fishgod: thanks for your willingness to share patterns that have worked for you. We fished Illiamna 20 years ago and recovered a fly that was more shrimp like and the odds of fair hooking reds definitely increased (ironically, it may have been recovered from a lost and possibly foul hooked red). We moved to a different part of the state, have since lost the pattern used that day. After fishing in salt water, my desire to river/stream fish has certainly decreased over the years.

planning on heading down there this weekend. what section would you guys recomend?

If you use a fly that reds will hit, you have doubled your chances. You are still going to "line" a few by chance, but you will also hook more if they actually bite.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    If you use a fly that reds will hit, you have doubled your chances. You are still going to "line" a few by chance, but you will also hook more if they actually bite.
    You have any pictures of what u use I'd like to try

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Fanatically fishing for thirty years up here has taught me a few things. One of those, reds will bite under the right conditions. Every year I have watched reds move 1-10 feet for my fly. Last year on the Eyak River, I had reds follow my fly every cast. 3-4 reds at one time would follow the fly and one would actually strike it. I've had this same experience across the state. As mentioned earlier, smaller sparser flies are the ticket. Specifically, comets and crazy charlies are the patterns I tie. Anything that imitates shrimp or krill will work. Since sockeye are primarily plankton and krill feeders in the salt, it makes sense. Alot of my hookups come at the last few feet of my swing near shore. I've had sockeye follow my fly and strike in 12 inches of water near shore. When they hit these flies they tend to realy whack them.
    I've seen a red chase and hit hard a fly with an egg pattern. I'm not a fly expert but the fly had a little red fluff ball about a 1/4 in diamater with sparkly bits.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast