Thread: Penn 560 Slammer or Penn 6500SS for Cohos

Default Penn 560 Slammer or Penn 6500SS for Cohos

I'm going to be fishing in the Naknek river mid august for Silvers and was wondering what would be best.

I have a Penn 560 Slammer & Penn 6500SS. I'm thinking of spooling up with 15# mono. We will be casting 1/2 ounce Pixies and Mepps spinners. What would be a better setup? Would 12# mono be too light? Any help would be appreciated.

I like my 560 Slammer for silvers but often feel like its too big.
    I think a 3 or 4 hundred series would be better but I use braid for my mainline.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I love my Slammer 360s. They are all I use for Kings, reds, silvers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jjwillac View Post
    I love my Slammer 360s. They are all I use for Kings, reds, silvers etc.
    I loveD my slammer 360 until I hooked an angry ~30lb king with it and it completely destroyed my drag. I should have loosened it but I was too excited and wasnt thinking.
    I dont think its worth replacing the drag on it as I can find them fairly cheap now.

What kind of braid do you use sodabiscuit?

Quote Originally Posted by Lapaiki39 View Post
    What kind of braid do you use sodabiscuit?
    Im not too picky with the brands but usually get power pro because its whats available.
    I think Cabelas had a sale for 'red cajun' or something like that but I got 300yrd spools for ~$15.

I prefer to use 50-65lbs even though its overkill. The main reason I like those lbs though is because the line is thicker and easier to manage. (less wind knots, a tiny bit less cutting into guides etc.). They dont cast as far as the lighter lbs though.

On my 360 I think I had 30lb power pro and that was great.

Make sure you start spooling with heavy mono so that you dont need to fill a whole spool with braid.
    I think 100-150 yards of braid is more than enough unless you're surf casting or bottom fishing.

After a great trip which ended with sore arms from catching so many Silvers. I can come to the conclusion that the Penn 560 Slammer was a little too big. I used my Soron 60SX with 30# braid most of the time and found it to be more than adequate for Silver Salmon. I also caught Artic Char, Lake Trout and Pike and the smaller and lighter reel was a lot easier to cast and seemed better suited to fighting the Silver Salmon which was our primary target.