Thread: Any place to shoot other than ranges....

Default Any place to shoot other than ranges....

Is there any place near Anchorage or Wasilla that one can sight in a rifle other than rabbit creek or birchwood? I wanted to go out tomorrow but they're both closed.

Mountain View......is good, pick any of the straight streets. Each block is 100 yards. If you don't have any targets, the stop signs, and "Neighborhood Watch" signs are good.

There is a spot almost at the end of Maud Rd off the Old Glen. Just make sure to get past mud lake far enough to get back into the KRPUA and shoot only to the left. You will see the spot when you get there.

What are the GPS coordinates for that place? The shooting restrictions map from http://knikriver.alaska.gov/pdf/12_1...ctions_map.pdf show it (Maud Road) going immediately from Eklutna land, where They don't allow shooting, to red slash marks on Rippy Trail, showing KRPUA shooting restrictions.

Am I over thinking this, or completely wrong, or what? I would hate to be slapped with any fine, from $1 on up!

Quote Originally Posted by David G. View Post
    What are the GPS coordinates for that place? The shooting restrictions map from http://knikriver.alaska.gov/pdf/12_1...ctions_map.pdf show it (Maud Road) going immediately from Eklutna land, where They don't allow shooting, to red slash marks on Rippy Trail, showing KRPUA shooting restrictions.

Am I over thinking this, or completely wrong, or what? I would hate to be slapped with any fine, from $1 on up!
    The place is the KRPUA shooting range but isnít yet complete so there could be a fine if you ran into a major jerk LEO out there. Not likely to be an issue though because it is the shooting range and I have run into LEOs and Borough folks shooting out there. Itís a long ride back in there but almost to the end off to the left you will see where the Borough cleared the trees for a range with the mountain as a back stop . . . there will likely be others shooting there. Be sure to pick up after yourself, leave it better than you found it and I doubt there will be any issues.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    The place is the KRPUA shooting range...
    Thanks for your help!

People were shooting under the Glenn Highway bridge over the Knik yesterday. Seemed a bit odd to me.

Does anyone know the laws regarding shooting on public land? X distance away from roads and houses?

Quote Originally Posted by FDC View Post
    People were shooting under the Glenn Highway bridge over the Knik yesterday. Seemed a bit odd to me.

Does anyone know the laws regarding shooting on public land? X distance away from roads and houses?
    I thought that the minimum distance from all "RS 2477" roads was 1/4 mile, but further research on these roads seems to suggest that all of RS 2477 got repealed quite some time ago. Further research seems warranted.

Alaska Statutes wise, AS 11.61.200 a (11) "A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the third degree if the person (discharges a firearm from a propelled vehicle while the vehicle is being operated in circumstances other than described in AS 11.61.190(a)(2)
    and
    Alaska Statute 11.61.200(a)(2) "A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fourth degree if the person (discharges a firearm from, on, or across a highway).

There are several laws that can get you in trouble if there is anyone in the general direction of where you are shooting. Some of the area by the Knick River bridge is no lead, steel shot only. Used to be you had to be 1/4 mile from the highway in that area but it may be different now. Therer are signs there with some regulation numbers and such.

Default Maud Rd

bouts how long is this cleared out area on maud rd?

A little over a hundred yards.

The way it has gotten with fuel prices, cheaper for me to hit Birchwood when it is open, However Used to go to Buffalo Mine Rd. there was a pull out on the left about a 1/4 mile in. Huge Bank and at the base of it was a quasi dump. Been a few years and don't know if it is still open. Shot all the time no problems. Times have changed though.

A buddy of mine was at that shooting place on maude rd a coupla weeks ago and a trooper showed up... The officer said it was OK to shoot there, but to just be safe and clean up your mess when your done so it dosen't get closed down. I guess he hung around for a while, ooo'd and awed over the guns, visited for a while, and then took off.